Events

Heritage Open Days
Friday 9 September 14:00 Victorian Winslow Walk, including visits to 28 High Street (Town Council Offices, built by T.P. Willis) and the Tabernacle (built by the Baptists in 1864)
Meet from 13:30 at 28 High Street, where there will be a display of information about Winslow History. The walk will finish at the Tabernacle (behind 160 High Street)
Friday 16 September 14:00 Stuart and Georgian Winslow Walk
Meet from 13:30 at Keach's Meeting House, Bell Walk, where there will be a display of information about the building and the Winslow Baptists
For both walks, please email d.noy@btinternet.com or phone 0771 3641238 to reserve a place

News

Book cover with portrait of William Lowndes NEW BOOK: HOW ONE MAN TRANSFORMED A TOWN:
WINSLOW 1640–1770 AND WILLIAM LOWNDES


Why does Winslow Hall dwarf the rest of the town?  Why is there a vast open space in front of it?  Why has Winslow got so many houses with a mixture of architectural styles from different centuries?  Why are all the farmhouses hidden away in the fields?

This book tries to answer those questions, starting with Winslow in the 1640s when it was a town of small-scale farmers and craftsmen and had two visits from Oliver Cromwell.  William Lowndes went off to London in 1667 and soon made enough money to start buying up land in Winslow and knocking down houses.  He turned the town into a place where one family owned most of the land, and built a mansion in a style Winslow people had never seen.  Meanwhile the Baptists became very influential for a time and built their own meeting house.  Lowndes family money helped to create a town full of doctors and lawyers who modernised their houses, and the market and turnpike road provided business for inns and shops.  The open fields were enclosed and farmers moved out into newly built farmhouses.

The book’s 386 pages also include ten detailed studies of Winslow families and 28 photos and maps.  It is available from the Bucks Archaeological Society (https://bas1.org.uk/) for £11 + £3.50 p&p.  If you’re in Winslow you can get it for £11 direct from David Noy (16 McLernon Way, tel.711683, d.noy@btinternet.com).

The Bucks Family History Society has published a transcription of the Winslow parish registers 1560-1901 on CD-ROM: click here to order
A transcription of the Winslow Congregational registers, with lists of members and abstracts of some minutes, is now available from the Eureka Partnership.

Winslow books for sale:

  • David Noy, Winslow in 1556: The Survey of the Manor (Bucks Archaeological Society, 2013): £5
  • David Noy, Winslow Manor Court Books 1327-1377 and 1423-1460 (2 vols, Bucks Record Society, 2011): £50
  • Alan Wigley, A Window on Winslow (Winslow, 1981): £5 - this contains many historical photos of Winslow

Please contact d.noy@btinternet.com for more information.

Additions to website

23 June 2022 1924 public meeting: the outcome of the poll about the water supply proposal
1941-42 Farm Survey: transcription now completed, giving a full picture of farming in Winslow before many of the fields were ploughed up for the war effort
Names index now up-to-date
20 June 1924 public meeting: two printed notices added, one about the meeting and one about a referendum on the water supply
Farm Survey returns for Tinkers Corner, H.G. Carter and others
13 June Farm Survey returns for Red Hall Farm, Shipton Farm and others
7 June Dudley family: An article by William Dudley from Australia about researching his Winslow ancestors
Farm Survey retuns for Rands Farm, Redfield and others
31 May Farm Survey returns for Magpie Farm, Oak Lodge and others
19 May Tuckey Farm: return for the 1941-42 National Farm Survey
E.F. Hancock: return for the National Farm Survey for Burleys Farm
12 May Will of Richard Holland of Botolph Claydon, 1550/1 (proved 1551): a relative of the Hollands of Granborough and Winslow
Will of William Halle, parson of Addington, 1546/7 (proved 1547): the will mentions people from Winslow
Will of Sir William Brampton, priest at Hogshaw, 1540/1 (proved 1548)
6 May Poor relief: In 1743 the parish officials of Chetwode brought a pauper to Winslow in the process of trying to get rid of her
5 May Will of Margaret Fuller of Swanbourne, 1550 (proved 1551): a member of the Glenister family
1 May Will of Ralph Carter of Dunton, yeoman, 1604 (proved 1605): husband of Alice Lowndes
Redfield: death of George North, footman, 1905
Church: presentation to departing curate Rev. St.J. H. Beamish, 1916 (he later came back as vicar)
29 April Will of Sarah Jones, widow, 1899: landlady of The Bull
26 April 29 High Street: inventory of contents after death of Thomas Ridgway, 1888
27 Market Square (Market House): apprenticeship of Ernest Ingram to Thomas Sare, 1877
24 April 27 Market Square (Market House): valuation of fixtures and contents, 1888
22 April King's Head: valuation and estimate for repairs, 1888, with details of rooms and outbuildings
17 April Will of John Waddup of Evenley, gentleman, 1709 (proved 1715): father of Elizabeth Dudley of Winslow
8 April Will of Arthur Clear, retired police sergeant, 1898 (proved 1901): he left his collection of coins to his son
Keach's Meeting House: entries from the burial register
Parsons Close: Winslow RDC's plan to build bungalows there, and a poem objecting to it (1952)
4 April Will of Henry Ingram, retired plumber, painter and china dealer, 1899 (proved 1900): owner of Rose Cottages and Station Brickyard
31 March The Bell: inventory taken in 1886 when W.S. Neal took over from his father
28 March 1876 Bucks Election: a Liberal poem
Road names: Carters Gate and Gibbs Close added
Aerial photos: Some 1931 and 2007 high resolution photos from Historic England added
21 March Public meeting about development, 1945: The ideas put forward at the meeting eventually (in some cases 20 years later) led to the creation of the current Recreation Ground, the industrial units in Station Road, and the Lowndes Way estate.
17 March Rose Cottages: photo added of the Phillips family, c.1930
14 March New page: George V's Silver Jubilee and Pageant, 1935
6 March Workhouse: the registry office was transferred to 28 High Street in 1900 for holding weddings
Biggin: comments about a cross from a lecture in 1900
Schools: arrangements for building the new school
General election, 1900
5 March Church: new pews completed in 1900
Workhouse: the porter and his allegations were dismissed
Flower Show: report of the 1900 show
Crooked Billet: tradesmen's dinner
The Bull: more news about the gymnastic siblings
Funeral of the Winslow historian Arthur Clear at Keach's Meeting House
Parish Council: more about the proposed recreation ground at Gubblesgore and the water supply controversy
4 March Additions from 1900 to Brook Hall, Baptist Tabernacle
Winslow United FC: better news for the 1900-01 season
The Bull: cricket club annual dinner
Gymnasium: Winslow Open Poultry Show
Congregational Church: the Mutual Improvement Society decided not to admit ladies to meetings
Western House: serious explosion after the butler took a light with him to investigate a gas leak
The George: sale of the contents, 1900
2 March Additions from 1900 to The Bull (cricket club re-formed), Parish Council (discussion about a recreation ground), Workhouse (more paupers from Willesden)
Winslow United FC: 1899-1900 season ended ignominiously
25 Feb Girls' School: the architect in 1864 has now been identified as E.G. Bruton of Oxford
17 Feb Board of Guardians: minutes Oct 1839 - March 1840: some Winslow Union paupers had been sent to Manchester
14 Feb Board of Guardians: minutes Feb-Sep 1839
12 Feb Extracts from The Nonconformist, a weekly Congregationalist newspaper, added to Congregational Church, Baptist Tabernacle, Workhouse
6 Feb Bathing Place: a narrow escape from drowning, 1899
Winslow United F.C.: 1899 AGM and results
Black Horse: retirement of Thomas Walker, 1899
The Bell: dramatic fund-raising entertainment for Boer War soldiers' widows and orphans
Schools: letter from John Morgan lamenting the managers' "breeches-pocket argument" and supporting the establishment of a school board, 1899
Church: replacement of pews in memory of Mr Greaves, 1899
Congregational Young Men's Society: cricket match, 1889
Public Hall: detailed report of the first meeting about the town's acquisition of the Oddfellows' Hall, 1945
3 Feb Workhouse: appeal for books for a reading room, 1899
Keach's Meeting House: departure of the Strict Baptist preacher, Albert White
2 Feb Congregational Church: Oliver Cromwell's tercentenary, and fundraising for Boer War soldiers, 1899
Bathing Place: fundraising concert at The Bell
Gymnasium: first poultry-fanciers' show, 1899
The Bull: sale of the inn and contents after the deaths of William and Sarah Jones, 1899
Cattle Market: cattle for sale obstructed the footpath around the Market Square
Station: Winslow RDC requests safer arrangements for loading and unloading
Schools: appeal from the School Managers for contributions to build a new school and avoid having a School Board
22 Jan St Albans Archdeaconry: records of penances by Robert Daunce the vicar (1586) and Joan Turnham (1599), and weapons held by the clergy (1590)
20 Jan Will of Francis Dodsworth of Whaddon, gentleman, 1657/8 (proved 1665): mortgagee of property in Winslow
Road Names page updated
16 Jan Church clock: a poem written in 1918 when the clock had stopped working
Allotments: another poem written in 1918 about the Parish Council's inability to supply enough allotments
Will of Henry Sharp, surgeon's assistant, 1880 (proved 1897) and obituary: the oldest member of the church choir
13 Jan Will of Joseph Colgrove of Winslow, butcher, 1894 (proved 1898), and obituary: he lived at 75 High Street
11 Jan Will of John Elley, retired baker, 1894 (proved 1899), and obituary
9 Jan Will of Leonard Pigott of Beachampton, gentleman, 1619
6-7 Jan Winslow Cycling Club: AGM 1898
A sheep-dealer was fined for allowing his lambs to block Horn Street because the Market Square was full
Rev W.F. Armstrong had 20 different church organisations running in 1898
Winslow RDC election 1898: one Conservative and one Liberal were returned
Will of William Ingram, groom and gardener, 1888 (proved 1894): lived at 32 High Street
Will of Thomas Keys, tailor and formerly innkeeper, 1892 (proved 1896): former landlord of The Stag
Poem by Silvanus Jones on the public meeting about Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, 1887
New page: The Bathing Place (opened 1898)
5 Jan Loffler Family: Will of Ferdinand and administration of Harriet, who both died in 1897
The Winslow Club and the Aylesbury Club, 1810: Winslow's version of the famous Lunar Society
27 Market Square: added Censuses 1891-1911
Winslow United F.C.: AGM and results, 1898, and table for the first Buckingham & District League season
Park Road: controversy about whether Winslow RDC should install a sewer, 1898
Congregational Church: Winslow's first eisteddfod, and a debate about old age pensions ten years before they were introduced
Tuckey Farm: sold to H.S. Leon of Bletchley Park in 1898
Churchyard: installation of a wrought iron fence
Workhouse: agreement to take 50 inmates from Willesden
Lace: exhibition at Seven Gables, new house of Hon. Rose Hubbard
4 Jan Nag's Head: Annual dinner for the Fire Brigade, the Postmen, and the Bellringers, 1898
The George: Annual ball for the Quadrille Class
Baptist Tabernacle: re-opened after renovation
Vestry, 1898: The vicar had to defend himself from complaints about "Romish practices"
The Bell: Constitutional Association dinner and Flower Show concert
2 Jan New page: Rent book of Robert Lowndes (1716-21 with later notes): this records the income which Robert was receiving from his Winslow tenants, with some later notes recording payments made to his son Richard
Will of Edward Lane Sear, coachbuilder, 1891 (proved 1895): the end of a long-established business in the High Street
15 Dec 2021 Market Square: Paving carried out by voluntary subscription, 1897
Footpaths: County Council enquiry into responsibility for Market Square and Churchyard footpaths
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897: including a house-by-house description of the decorations
9-10 Dec Civil War: payment made to Henry Sandys of Little Horwood in 1649 for quartering of troops
Cricket Club meeting, 1897: they were unable to find a ground after being turned out of their old home (now the Arboretum)
The Old Post Office became a tea room where you could buy Whaddon Chase Hunt Sauce
Winslow United FC: 1897 AGM and results
Baptist Tabernacle: Total Abstinence Society
Technical Education Committee: members and finances in 1897
Workhouse: possible solutions for the shortage of inmates were turning it into a biscuit factory and bringing in paupers from Fulham
John Morgan: information about a former Winslow draper from a review of a book which he had published
7 Dec King's Head: annual dinner for postmen, bellringers and fire brigade, 1897
Congregational Church: appointment of a new pastor, and Band of Hope activities
Workhouse: more like a convalescent home in 1897, according to a newspaper report
Relocation of 1897
6 Dec Letters to Richard Lowndes from his sister Sarah: new letters added from 1759-60
30 Nov William Lowndes' expenses at Enclosure, 1766-67: these bills show that the enclosure process cost him nearly £800, and he also bought up some small pieces of property
Parish Council 1896: reports added from the local press about discussions over the Market Square and Winslow becoming an Urban District
Cattle Market: committee appointed to look into improving the Market Square
University Extension Lectures: evolution was the topic for 1896
Allotment holders' first annual supper, 1896
29 Nov Disappearance of the Relieving Officer, 1896
Winslow United F.C.: 1896 AGM and results
Keach's Meeting House: celebration in 1896 of the 236th anniversary of Benjamin Keach's pastorate
Marriage of George A. Midgley, 1896
Tinkers End: water supply problems
Congregational Church: various events in 1896
Liberal meeting in the Centenary Hall
Biggin: additional information published by Arthur Clear
Subsidy, 7 October 1594 (16 names from Winslow, 6 from Little Horwood)
The Cock: It now appears that it wasn't on the site of the Bell Garage but slightly further along Sheep Street where the pedestrian gate into Home Close is now
25 Nov Parish Council: additional report of Feb 1896 meeting (about the Parochial Committee)
Winslow RDC: report on Winslow highways, 1896
The George: annual dinner of the Winslow Constutitional Association, i.e. the Conservatives
Choirboys' strike: like all Victorian employers, the church reacted by sacking the ringleaders, not addressing the grievances
Church: departure of Rev. P.H. Eliot, 1896
24 Nov Redfield: death of H.R. Lambton, 1896
Church Houses: death of Charles Wilford the postmaster, 1896
Celebration at The Plough of building "Mr Illing's new stables"
Rose & Crown: a fight in 1896 ended up in the magistrates' court
Sale of 12 cottages belonging to the estate of Richard Willmore (1896)
Vestry, 1895: church and charity finances
Winslow RDC: inquiry into the disposal of refuse in Winslow, 1895 (with vivid descriptions of conditions)
Board of Guardians: minutes for Nov-Dec 1838
22 Nov Board of Guardians: minutes for June 1838
18 Nov Board of Guardians: minutes for March 1838
Copyright 24 June, 2022