High Street

Colour postcard of Winslow High Street

The name High Street is relatively recent. Until the 19th-century northward expansion of Winslow, the street from the Market Square to Greyhound Lane was known as Cow Street. The road leading north from that was known at first as Union Street (after the Workhouse) or Buckingham Road. In the early 20th century the whole road from the Market Square to Station Road began to be called High Street. Before the mid-19th century the last house on the west was Sear's coachbuilders (site of the fire station and telephone exchange) and the last house on the east was the original Workhouse, later Benbow's.

Click on the map below for links:
Clickable map Workhouse Tannery 8 High Street 6 High Street The Windmil King's Head Royal Oak Pubic Hall

The postcard below was posted in 1915 but may be rather older. Benbow's shop is front right, and the white building next to it was the original workhouse. Beyond that is the shop which is now the Co-Op. The scene beyond it has changed a lot due to the plane crash in 1943 and the fire at Gibbards' in 1933. On the left, where the Post Office was built in 1911 and the fire station in the 1950s, the premises included the house of the Sear family, formerly the north end of the town. See A.J. Clear's lecture in 1932 for more information.

High Street looking north


Copyright 30 December, 2016