About us / contact

The Winslow History Project is based at the Archive Room of the newly refurbished St Laurence Room, in Winslow's Market Square. The project aims to collect documents, maps, photographs and oral history interviews and to make them available through exhibitions, publications and via its new website. Project members originally came together in Autumn 2009 and ran a series of local history evening classes in the town. The Project's Archivist, Julian Hunt, has already built up a huge collection of documents and photographs and these will gradually appear on the Project website. In the summer of 2010, Project members walked the boundaries of Winslow, Granborough and Little Horwood, guided by a 10th century perambulation attached to the charter by which King Offa gave Winslow to St Albans Abbey. In Spring 2011, the Project will host the launch of The Court Books of Winslow 1322-1377 and 1423-1460, translated from the Latin by the Project's webmaster, Dr David Noy, and published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society.

The refurbishment and extension of the St Laurence Room has been made possible by energetic fund raising by Project Co-ordinator Paul Bagni and by three major grants. The first of these grants came from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), which enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about their heritage. The second grant came from Waste Recycling Environmental Limited (WREN), which awards grants to communities near to landfill sites. The final grant came from Liaisons Entre Actions de Development de l'Economie Rurale (LEADER), which channels European money to local farming, forestry and community projects and rural enterprises.

Contact us:

Copyright 23 August, 2015