28-30 High Street (The Elms, Council Offices, Black Bull)

30 High Street (The Elms) was created in the 1860s by T.P. Willis from several older buildings including The Greyhound. He bought no.28 in 1886 and remodelled it in a contrasting and more up-to-date style, joining the buildings together. The properties appear to be two of the medieval burgage plots. No.30 was replaced in 2002 by Limes Court (built in the style of no.28 rather than of the demolished building). No.28 is now Winslow Town Council Offices. It was designed by the architect Arthur William Henings. It is described like this on the Bucks Heritage Portal:

Brick and Render, double fronted building, dated 1889 in decorative panels above windows. ... Tiled roof, with decorative bargeboards to gable ends facing street. Tile hanging to gable ends. Painted timber, casement windows, with stained glass in upper sections and leaded lights. Timber, pannelled door. The building is unlike contemporary buildings in Winslow, and is almost arts and crafts in style, with timber lintels and highly decorative cement panels above the windows and central door.

No.30 was described like this before demolition in 2002:
30 High Street which has a rendered facade to High Street is composed of 3 primary elements, firstly [south end], a 2-storey section with a high parapet wall and Georgian style opening with raised decorative surrounds and drawn ashlar work to the ground floor. The second component is a 3 storey "Italianate" tower with a pyramidal slated roof which contains the main entrance to the building, and the final element is of 2 storeys with a shallow slate roof, drawn ashlar work to the ground floor but no openings and 2 recessed openings, one blocked to the first floor.

High Street looking north
No.28 is the building with two gables right of centre in the photo. No.30 is to the left, including the tower and the building beyond it

Plan of former Greyhound and adjacent buildings
The site shown on the 1899 OS map after T.P. Willis had redeveloped it. The buildings with cross-hatching are his greenhouses.

28 High Street until 1889

The Black Bull

The Black Bull is only mentioned by name between 1709 and 1715 but seems to be the property referred to in the earlier documents.

1662: manor court
William Norman, customary tenant, and Joan his wife surrendered a messuage in Winslow with buildings, barns, stables, orchard, gardens, with 2 leys adjoining containing 1 acre, the land of Andrew Stutsbury north. To the use of Silvester Claver. Rent 6d, fine 2s, heriot by composition 3s.

1671: Silvester Claver surrendered a messuage in Winslow now in the occupation of William Hogson and 1 acre of "leyes" lying behind the messuage. To the use of Susan Michell. Rent 6d. On condition that if he pays her £63 12s on 19 May 1672, the surrender to be void. Fine 5s. Seisin granted.

1681: manor court
Thomas Daniel fined for not keeping the assize in bread and beer.

1682: manor court
Silvester Claver, deceased, in his life surrendered a messuage in the Beast Markett called The Bull [this can't be the inn in Horn Street then known as the Red Bull] to the use of Thomas Bishopp of Claydon, … on condition of redemption on payment of separate sums of money, in which payment Silvester made default. Silvester Claver grandson [nepos] of Silvester is the nearest heir and has the right to redeem the premisses. He sought admission. Fine £2 19s, fealty respited. Silvester Claver the uncle was chosen guardian and admitted.

1687: Silvester Claver surrendered a messuage in Winslow in which Thomas Daniell lived with barns, orchards, yards and 1 acre of land adjoining below the yard of the messuage, and adjoining the land of John Stutsbery on the north. To the use of John Chennell.

1703: manor court
John Chennells died since the last court seised of a messuage, a mill and 8 acres of land. Heriot is due to the lord. John Chennell is his son and nearest heir, of full age.
He was probably the John Chennells buried at Thornton on 10 Jan 1702[/3].

1704: manor court
John Chennells sought admission to a messuage, a windmill and 8 acres of land which came into the lord's hands on the death of John Chennells his father presented at the court on 31 March 1703. Rent [blank], fine 16s, heriot by composition 30s.

1705: manor court
John Chennells on 1 Aug at Winslowe permitted a "Chimney" in his house to be very dangerous for want of repair, so the neighbours were in great danger of being burned, a nuisance continuing from 1 Aug to the day of the taking of this inquest, so not only John's house but also all houses in the town of Winslowe were in great danger of being burned. Amerced 10s[?]

1709: manor court
John Chennells on 28 Jan last surrendered by the steward a messuage in Winslow called The Black Bull in which John Crockett now lived, the messuage of William Lowndes esq. in the occupation of William Norman lying north, with all barns, stables, yards, garden, orchards, backyards, … To the use of Mary Bigg of Winslow widow, on condition that the surrender is to be void if John pays her £51 5s on 29 July following at her dwelling in Winslow.

1713: manor court
Transfer of mortgage of John Chennells' property for £20 + £80 from Mary Bigg widow to Thomas Gibbs baker
Includes: a messuage in Winslow called lately by the name of Black Bull, now in the occupation of Robert Hamp, the messuage of William Lowndes esq. in the occupation of William Norman north, with barns, stables, yards, gardens, orchards, backsides

1715: manor court
Surrender: John Chennells
Admission: Thomas Gibbs and Ellen his wife
A messuage called the Black Bull [described as in 1715]
To the use of Thomas and Ellen and the heirs of their bodies, or for want of such issue to Thomas' heirs. Rent 1d, fine 5s.

1752: Burial of Thomas Gibbs, baker, 18 Sep

It's not certain that the former Black Bull was 28 High Street but it seems very likely. Ferdinand and Sarah Southam may have acquired it after Thomas Gibbs died; most of the manor court records for 1752 are missing.

The Maydons

1753: manor court,  8 June [recited in 1786]
Surrender: Ferdinando Southam and Sarah his wife
Admission: George Maydon of Winslow butcher and Ann his wife
A messuage in Cow Street in the occupation of Thomas Gibbs, the messuage of Richard Lowndes esq. north, the messuage of Benjamin Ingram [=King's Head] south

1767: Will of George Maydon of Winslow, butcher
First I give devise and bequeath unto my eldest son John Maydon all that my copyhold messuage or tenement situate and being in Winslow aforesaid wherein I now dwell with all and every of the appurts thereunto belonging

1775: Fire on 14 Aug
Sudden fire … at Mr Footman's, ye 3 Pigeons, Cow Street [22 High Street], which consumed all ye back buildings of ye said Footman, ye house and buildings of Benjamin Ingram, ye house and buildings of ye Widow Maidon and part of ye buildings of Thomas Newman's at ye Greyhound together with Mrs Varney's

1778: manor court
Jurors to view the Drain which runs through the Yard of Benjamin Ingram of Winslow Victualler into the Yard of Ann Maydon of Winslow Widow and from thence into the Highway; and set out, whether the said Benjamin Ingram has any and what right of Ingress into the yard of the said Ann Maydon for the purpose of cleaning the said Drain … 

1781: Land Tax
Owner & occupier: Ann Maydon widow, 15s 7¾d

1786: Land Tax
Owner & occupier: Ann Maydon widow, 16s 11¾d

1787: Manor court, 29 & 30 Oct
Surrender: Ann Maydon, widow
Admission: John Maydon eldest son of George Maydon of Winslow butcher deceased

1787: Royal & Sun Alliance insurance policy for John Maydon, butcher

1795 & 1805 & 1814 & 1823: Land Tax
Owner & occupier: John Maydon, 16s 11¾d

c.1795: Directory
Maydon, John, Butcher

1818: Will of John Maydon, butcher (proved 1829)
Leaves all copyhold property to his son George Maydon

1829: manor court
John Maydon late of Winslow butcher held a messuage in Cow Street heretofore in the occupation of Thomas Gibbs baker, since of John Maydon, now of George Maydon.  He was admitted in 1787 under the will of his father George Maydon. Now George Maydon his son is admitted under the terms of his will.

1830: Pigot's Directory
Butcher: Maydon George, High st

1831: Northampton Mercury, 12 Nov
To Butchers and Others.
OLD-ESTABLISHED BUTCHER’S SHOP, HOUSE, & PREMISES, WINSLOW, BUCKS.
To be  LET, For a Term of Years (if required), and entered upon at Christmas next,
A Substantial, tiled MESSUAGE, situate in the HIGH-STREET of the Market Town of WINSLOW, Bucks, with Butcher’s Shop adjoining the same (and facing the turnpike road leading from Aylesbury to Buckingham), large yard and garden, slaughterhouse, fasting pens, cart hovel, two stables, wood barn and coal barn, with lofts over the same; and every other convenience.
Also, THREE CLOSES of fine OLD PASTURE LAND, in the parish of WINSLOW, containing Ten Acres and a Half.
The above would be found very desirable for a Butcher, that business having been carried on by the present proprietor and his ancestors on the premises for the last 80 years.
For a view of the premises, or to treat for the same, apply (if by letter, post paid) to Messrs. WILLIS & SON, Solicitors, Winslow

1832: Land Tax
Owner & occupier: George Maydon, 16s 11¾d, house and land

1834-63: Church rate
George Maydon, house and land

1835: Register of electors
George Maydon: copyhold house in own occupation

1839: Robson's Commercial Directory
George Maydon, butcher & maltster

1841: Census
George Maydon, butcher & maltster, 45 + wife Mildred, 40, ten children, two servants

1851: Census
High Street

George Maydon Head married 56 Maltster & farming 80a employing 5 men b. Winslow
Mildred Ann Maydon Wife married 55   b. Fenny Stratford
Mildred Maydon Dau unm 27   b. Winslow
Elizabeth Maydon Dau unm 15   b. Winslow
Lynch Conway Maydon Son   13 Scholar b. Winslow
Catherine Maydon Dau   12 Scholar b. Winslow
Maria Maydon Dau   6 Scholar b. Winslow
Sabina Cadd Servant unm 19 House servant b. Newton Pursell

1861: Census
Buckingham Road

George Maydon Head married 66 Maltster & farmer 76a emp 2 labs & 2 boys b. Winslow
Mildred Maydon Wife married 64   b. Fenny Stratford
Elizabeth Maydon Dau unm 26   b. Winslow
Harriet Buckingham Servant unm 29 General servant b. North Marston

1869: will of George Maydon, gentleman, formerly farmer (proved 1876)
I declare that my Trustees shall stand possessed of the house in which I reside . . . to permit my . . . Wife to reside in and occupy the same she doing all repairs and paying  all outgoings in respect thereof . . . and . . . after the decease of my . . Wife I direct that my . . .  Trustees shall sell my real estate . . .

1871: Census
High Street

George Maydon Head married 76 Farmer 38a emp 1 lab b. Winslow
Mildred A. Maydon Wife married 72   b. Fenny Stratford
Mildred Maydon Dau unm 43   b. Winslow
Elizabeth S. Maydon Dau unm 33   b. Winslow
Harriet Buckingham - unm 39 General servant dom. b. North Marston

1876: George Maydon died 10 Sep aged 82

1881: Census
High Street

Mildred A. Maydon Head widow 83 Farmer's widow b. Fenny Stratford
Elizabeth L. Maydon Dau unm 42 Farmer's daughter b. Winslow
Maria Maydon Dau unm 30 ditto b. Winslow
Annie Smith Servant unm 20 Serv. dom. b. Great Horwood

1884: Death of Mildred Ann Maydon aged 87, 1 Oct

1885: Sale particulars, 27 May (D/WIG/2/7/1885/11), devisees in trust of the late Mr George Maydon
A very convenient and substantially built brick and tiled copyhold house, situate in the High Street, Winslow, near the Market Place, and the centre of the Town, containing 3 front sitting-rooms, hall, kitchen, scullery, servant’s room, and pantry with slated room, 3 bedrooms, dressing-room, store closet, and two attics, capital cellarage comprising 2 beer and 1 wine cellars.
A range of brick and tiled buildings comprising dairy, two-stall stable, large wash-house or brewhouse (with 2 coppers & oven), 2 wood & coal-houses, and extensive lofts.  Detached brick and tiled coach-house, poultry-house, cart hove, and piggeries.  A good garden walled round with entrance to the Back Lane.  A very large court yard in which are ornamental chestnut trees, and gateway entrance from Street.
The Property has a depth of about 210 feet and a width of about 60 feet.  It offers an opportunity seldom to be met with to secure a good House and first-class roomy premises in the heart of Winslow.

1885: Bucks Herald, 7 June
            On Wednesday, May 27, at the Bell Hotel, Mr G. Wigley offered for sale some valuable freehold and copyhold properties in the parishes of Winslow, Granborough and Whaddon, which realised the following prices: Lot 1, a brick and tiled residence situate in the High Street, Winslow, purchased by Mr T.P. Willis, £720

1886: manor court,  8 November                                                                         
Surrender: John Maydon of 6 Kimbolton Road Bedford gent & Lynch Conway Maydon of Mursley farmer
Admission:  Thomas Price Willis of Winslow solicitor
Consideration: £720
All that Messuage or Tenement situate in High Street in Winslow aforesaid with the outbuildings yards garden and appurtenances thereto belonging late in the occupation of Mildred Anne Maydon deceased then of Mildred Maydon Elizabeth Sleath Maydon and Maria Maydon and then of Agnes French which said Messuage or Tenement … to which said premises the said John Maydon and Lynch Conway Maydon were admitted tenants on the 9 November 1885 as devisees in trust of George Maydon deceased

1887: Kelly's Directory
French, Miss Agnes A., High street

1888: Buckingham Advertiser, 9 Feb
On February 1st, Mr. and Mrs. T.P. Willis with their usual kindness, entertained the workmen of Mr. T. Walker, the contractor for building the new offices, &c., in the High Street, to an excellent supper at the Black Horse Inn, and to which full justice was done.  After the removal of the cloth, the health of Mr. and Mrs. Willis was drunk, hoping that they might live a long and happy life, and enjoy the new buildings which were in erection.

1888: D/WIG/2/1/19, June 26
Valuation of fixtures &c High Street Winslow Miss A.A. French to TP Willis Esquire
5 blind rollers & fittings
3 blinds
Blind roller & Rods
Rail and 7 iron pegs
Kitchener
Letter slip on front door
Bell pull Bell & fitting
Rail & 6 wood pegs
Cinder Box
£4-15-6

1888: Buckingham Advertiser, 1 Dec
  The new offices which are being erected in Winslow High Street for Mr. Willis, promise to be quite an improvement in the looks of that part of the street.

A celebration of the building was held at the Black Horse in Feb 1889.

1889: Buckingham Advertiser, 3 Aug
Mr. Willis’s New Offices at Winslow.
  These new buildings which form quite an ornament to the town, have been erected the suite the business purposes of Mr. Willis, and at the same time afford him a little more accommodation for his residence which they adjoin, should it be necessary, however, at any time to cut off the new from the old.  They are so arranged that they may be used either for residential or business purposes.  The entrance door for clients is in the recess between the two front gables, and, opening into a tiled hall, gives access to a little waiting room, a clerk’s office, and a principal’s office.  Adjoining the latter is a fire proof strong room, in which every precaution has been taken to make it secure against fire, and, although the moth and rust may corrupt, it will be a very difficult matter for a thief to break through and steal.  The staircase opposite the entrance hall gives access to two more rooms for clerks, and caretaker’s apartment.  Returning to the ground floor, the passage on the left leads to the old house, passing a new lavatory, W.C., and smoking room.  The latter is a large, well lit apartment, having a cosy ingle nook with its richly mounted enclosing arch marble mantle and art coloured tiles, and small stained glass window will be one of the features of the house.  above and entered from the passage on the first floor of the old house is a new bedroom, and over lavatory, &c., is a bedroom and dressing room.  Under the staircase the cellars of the old house have been retained, having been found very dry.  Externally care has been taken to utilize to their utmost the opportunities of the site, and feeling that the long straggling street lacked somewhat of the picturesque, the architect has taken for his model that truly English style, to be found in the mounted granges and farm houses of the South of England.  The lower part of the house is in bright red brick, and above this is cement rough cast.  The gables boldly overhang, and are carried on stout oaken corbels, their face being hung with ornamental tiles, whilst the roofs are covered with Brosely purple brown tiles.  The woodwork outside has been painted a bluish green.  The works have been carefully carried out by Mr. S. [=T.] Walker, of Winslow from the designs and under the supervision of Mr. A. Hennings, A.R.I.B.A., of Furnival Inn, Holborn, London, E.C.


30 High Street until 1889

The site seems to have been acquired by William Lowndes (see 1709 record for no.28), and is probably the one listed below.

1703: Lowndes Roll
One Mesuage Malthouse & Orchard in Winslow
£170.0.0 Jno Stutsbery and his Mortgagee
This is a tiled house in Winslow w(i)th a good Maulting and an Orchard thereto belonging. On 20th April 1692 John Stutsberry and Eliz(abeth) his wife suffered a Recovery of the said Mesuage Malthouse and Orchard (with an Acre of Swerd ground then belonging thereunto) To the use of him the said John & his heires And at a Court holden on 1st & 2nd Oct(ober) 1703 W(illia)m Gyles (who had a Mortgage on the Premisses) with the said John Stutsbery & Elizabeth his Wife Surrendred the said Mesuage Malthouse & Orchard To the use of Me and my heires And at the same Court I surrendred the same To the uses of my Will.

Lowndes would have wanted it so he could incorporate the orchard into the Winslow Hall garden. William Norman is mentioned as the tenant in 1709 and 1713 (see above). He is listed in 1722 as paying an annual rent of £7 to William Lowndes, perhaps for this property. At some point probably before 1753 it seems to have been sold off as freehold and become a pub known as the Hare and Hound or Greyhound and Hare (which seems to have been different from the later Greyhound).

Hare and Hounds

1753: Alehouse Recognizances
Hare & Hound: Joseph Ware
It's not recorded in 1756-62 so this might actually have been a different inn.

1763-65: Alehouse Recognizances
Greyhound & Hare: Edward Blake
Possibly the son of Thomas Blake, and brother of William Blake who later owned the property: see Blake family

1766-67: Alehouse Recognizances
Hare & Hounds: Thomas Newman

1771: Alehouse Recognizances
Greyhound: Thomas Newman

1775: Fire
According to one report, "part of ye buildings of Thomas Newman's at ye Greyhound" burned down. The other buildings affected can be identified as 24, 26 and 28 High Street.

1775: Manor court
Thomas Newman of Winslow victualler fined for faulty measures

1776-85: Alehouse Recognizances
Hare & Hounds: Thomas Newman

1784: Fire insurance

26 January 1784 Sun Insurance 11936/319/489050
Thomas Newman of Winslow victualler  

On his household goods in his now dwelling house situate as aforesaid the Greyhound brick and tiled 

£60
Utensils and stock therein £30
Wearing apparel £10
  ----
  £100

Thomas Newman didn't own the building, which belonged to William Blake (see below).

1784: register of electors
William Blake: freehold house occupied by Thomas Newman

Newman was also a small-scale farmer: he rented 13 acres from Ann Coulson (wife of William Blake) and her son Robert, and 4 acres from the Verneys. Frances the widow gave up the larger holding in about 1787 and the smaller one after 1795.

1786: Burial of Thomas Newman, 15 Jan

1790-1800: Alehouse Recognizances
Hare & Hounds: Fanny Newman widow

1790 & 1795: Land Tax [the building hasn't been identified in earlier Land Tax records]
William Blake owner, Mrs Newman occupier 11s 1d

1791: fire insurance of William Blake

House situate at Winslow in the County aforesaid in tenure of Ann Newman, Vict(ualle)r Brick & tiled, not exceeding two hundred Pounds
Four Pigsties adjoining separate Timber & tiled, not exceeding five P(oun)ds
Six Pigsties adjoining separate Timber & tiled, not exceeding ten Pounds
Two Stables & Woodhouse adjoining separate Brick & tiled, not exceed(in)g Forty five Pounds
Barn separate thatch’d not exceeding forty Pounds

1793: Will of William Blake of Shipton, yeoman (proved 1797)
I also give and bequeath unto the said John Blake [his nephew] all such rent that shall be due and owing from Frances Newman Widow to me at the time of my decease.
The will doesn't specify what is to happen to William's property, for which he had presumably made separate arrangements. His nephew John Blake, baker, replaced him as owner in Land Tax records, but died in 1804.

1797-1800: Land Tax
John Blake owner, Widow Newman occupier 11s 1d

1801-02: Alehouse recognizances
Hare and Hounds: Thomas Jennings

The Hare and Hounds appears to have been turned into a private residence at this point.

Genteel residence

1802: Land Tax
John Cowley (late Blakes) owner & occupier 11s 1d

1805-1816: Land Tax
John Cowley owner & occupier: 11s 1d

1819: Northampton Mercury, 5 June
DESIRABLE FREEHOLD ESTATE. To be SOLD by AUCTION, By SAMUEL DUDLEY,
On Monday the 21st Day of June, 1819, at the Bell Inn, Winslow, Bucks, at Five o’Clock in the Afternoon, subject to such Conditions as will then be produced, (unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract, of which due Notice will be given).
ALL that commodious and genteel FREEHOLD RESIDENCE, which is now, and has been occupied for the last 16 Years, by the Proprietor, Mr. JOHN COWLEY, Surgeon, eligibly situated in the HIGH STREET, WINSLOW, a pleasant Market Town, in Buckinghamshire, 50 Miles from London, through which a Mail Coach and other Coaches pass daily to and from London;  comprising an entrance Hall, two Parlours, four bed Chambers, three Attics, kitchen Scullery, good Cellars, with wine Vaults, well supplied with excellent Water, a drying Ground, walled flower Garden, productive inclosed kitchen Garden, both well stocked with evergreen, ornamental, and choice trained fruit Trees, in full Bearing.
Detached are Brewhouse, mangle Room, Stabling for three Horses, wood Barn, chaise House, and every other necessary Convenience, all in good Repair, and fit for the immediate Reception of a genteel Family, as it is equally adapted for Trade.
The Purchaser may, if required, be accommodated with three Closes of rich pasture Land, nearly adjoining the said Premises.
Immediate Possession may be had.
For a View of the Premises apply thereon;  and for further Particulars to the PROPRIETOR;  and Mr. C. WILLIS, Solicitor;  or the AUCTIONEER, both of Winslow.

The property was bought by the lawyer William Wilson.

1821 & 1824: Land Tax
William Wilson owner & occupier: 11s 1d

1822: marriage of William Wilson and Harriet West (daughter of George West, see below), 12 April

Plan showing Turnpike and garden1825: Bucks Chronicle, 26 Feb
Desirable Freehold Residence
By S. Dudley, at the Bell Inn, Winslow, in the county of Buckingham, on Thursday, the 10th Day of March next, at four o'clock in the Afternoon, unless previously disposed of by Private Contract
All that capital Messuage or Tenement, with the Stables, Yard, Outbuildings, and all other Conveniences, and two large Gardens adjoining, well planted with choice Fruit Trees, late in the occupation of Mr. Wilson, who is changing his residence.
The above is very pleasantly situated in the High-street of Winslow, and forms a most desirable Residence for a genteel family, or a person in trade.
For a view apply to Mr. Gent, Surgeon, of Winslow, and for further particulars, and to treat for the same, to Mr Thos. Hawes, Solicitor, Northampton, or the Auctioneer, Winslow.

It appears that the property did not sell, because in 1827 the Turnpike Trust bought a triangular piece of land containing 24 square yards from William Wilson; see plan on right (CBS, T3/74). The distance shown from The Back Lane (i.e. Greyhound Lane) to "House" on the plan is about 17 yards. This means that the house was considerably smaller than it later became (see photo and maps below).

1825: Oxford Journal, 28 May
The partnership lately subsisting between William Wilson, late of Winslow, attorney-at-law, but now of Banbury, and Charles Tomes, late of Buckingham, but now of the city of Oxford, attorney-at-law, was dissolved in the month of August last.

William Wilson killed himself in London in 1829 after leaving his wife and blaming her family for his financial problems.

Tannery

The property was acquired by William Wilson's brother-in-law George West, currier/tanner previously of 14 High Street, where his father's tanning activities had apparently taken place before. How the acquisition came about is unknown but must be connected to the "ill-treatment" by his wife's family of which Wilson complained.

1830: Pigot's Directory
Currier and leather-cutter: George West, High Street

1832: Land Tax
George West  owner & occupier: House etc. 11s 1d

1833: Register of Electors
George West, freehold house & land, Cow Street

1838-56: Church rate
House, Tanyard & Land: George West (John West in 1852/3)

1841: Census
George West, 40, tanner + wife, 4 children, 1 servant
John West, 35, independent means + wife, niece

1851: Census
High Street

George West Head married 50 Farmer emp. 8 men & 3 boys b. Winslow
Georgina West Dau   13 Scholar b. Winslow
Melbourne West Son   12 Scholar b. Winslow
Charles West Son   10 Scholar b. Winslow
Ann West Dau   7 Scholar b. Winslow
Ann Hares Servant unm 23 House servant b. Oving
Elizabeth Spatcher Servant unm 19 House servant b. Padbury

1853: Musson & Craven Directory
West, John tanner & currier High Street

1857: manor court
Melbourne Russell West bought, from the trustees of Richard Staniford, Staniford House (32 High Street) and the land behind it. He sold Staniford House in 1864 but retained "the piece of ground at the back of the said Messuage as lately fenced off ... formerly used as a garden and now partly occupied by lime pits for the purpose of carrying on the Tanning business" (see plan below)

1861: Census
unoccupied
Melbourne Russell West the eldest son was listed at Oxford as a tanner employing 4 labourers and 1 boy, presumably at Winslow.

1863: Buckingham Advertiser, 14 March
WINSLOW TANYARD.
  THE undersigned, having taken to the above premises, will be happy to take the HIDES, SKINS, and BARK of the Neighbourhood, at the Market Price. E. L. ELLIOTT.

1864: Post Office Directory
Elliott Edward L. tanner & currier, High street
A.J. Clear wrote in 1930: In 1864 a Mr. Elliott had large premises now known as “The Elms” in High Street and carried on quite a big business [tanning] – his big drying shed has not long been pulled down.
In 1932 he wrote: All where Mr. Powell lives was a fairly modern tannery, with an old house in front occupied by Mr. West, an old Winslow family. 

1864: Will of George West, gentleman of Oxford, formerly tanner of Winslow

1866: Bucks Herald, 25 August

Winslow, Bucks
An Excellent Residence, Coach House, Stabling, Greenhouse, and Garden
A most convenient Tanyard, with well arranged sheds, Hovels etc and a Valuable Piece of Garden Ground
To be Sold by Auction by Dudley & Son, on Friday, August 31st 1866 at the Bell Inn, Winslow, at Four o'clock in the Afternoon
In Three Lots (or in Two Lots as may be agreed at the time of Sale)
By direction of the Executors of the late George West Esq.
The whole of the Property is in excellent Repair and is now in the occupation of Mr Gibbs, a quarterly tenant.
The House is most conveniently situate, and is valuable either for a House of Business or a Private Residence
The Tan Yard offers every facility for carrying on a large and profitable trade, there being no other Yard within six miles of the place.
Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.
Lots 1 and 2 are Freehold, and lot 3 is Copyhold of the Manor of Winslow, Nearly equal in value to Freehold.
For a View, apply to the Tenant, Mr Gibbs, and for further Particulars, to Messrs Willis and Willis, Solicitors, or to Messrs Dudley and Son, Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

Lots 1 & 2 were bought by T.P. Willis. Lot 3, which was on the north side of Greyhound Lane where the car park is now, was bought by him in 1867.

1867: Bucks Herald, 27 April [this refers to the Tanyard at the top of the plan below]

WINSLOW, BUCKS,
A Valuable Piece of Building Ground, with a Brick and Slated Hovel,
IN THE CENTRE OF THIS TOWN
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY DUDLEY & SON,
On FRIDAY, the 3rd Day of MAY, 1867
At the BELL INN, WINSLOW
At 5 o’Clock in the Afternoon, by direction of the Rev. M. R. WEST,
A VERY convenient piece of BUILDING GROUND, situate in the High-street, Winslow, walled round, on which stands a newly built Brick and Slated Hovel, a pump of excellent water, and 12 bricked Tan Pits.
  The Property is Copyhold of the Manor of Winslow.
  Immediate possession can be given.
  For further Particulars with permission to View, apply to Messrs. Willis and Willis, Solicitors, or to Messrs. Dudley and Son, Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

Plan showing property around Greyhound LaneThe plan on the right shows the properties on the 1878 OS map. The buildings had extended northwards considerably compared to the 1827 plan above.

1867: manor court
Surrender: Rev. Melbourne Russell West of 3 Clarendon Villas, Park Town, Oxford on 19 Oct
Consideration: £170
Admission: Thomas Price Willis of Winslow gent
Piece of ground used as a garden and yard in or near Cow Street, now in the occupation of George Ingram, lying at back of the messuage late belonging to MRW and sold by him to Ann Viccars [Staniford House, 32 High Street], as lately fenced off.  MRW admitted to ground and messuage 1857 on surrender of David Thomas Willis, John Belgrove & Thomas Cornborough as devisees in trust of Richard Staniford.  Rent 1d, fine 1s.

T.P. Willis

1868: marriage of Thomas Price Willis and his cousin Sarah Cowley Willis
She was the granddaughter of John Cowley who lived in the house 1803-19.

1871: Census
High Street

Thomas P. Willis Head married 30 Solicitor & landowner b. Leighton Buzzard
Sarah C. Willis Wife married 32   b. Winslow
George Willis Brother unm 25 Solicitor & landowner b. Leighton Buzzard
David T. Willis Brother unm 23 Solicitor & landowner b. Leighton Buzzard
Eliza Golder - unm 21 Cook domestic servt b. Somerton, Oxon
Fanny Hatwell - unm 17 Housemaid dom servt b. Fewcott, Oxon

The name The Elms was first used for the house in the Buckingham Advertiser and elsewhere in 1879.

Cream-coloured building
30 High Street in the 1990s before demolition. T.P. Willis appears to have extended and refronted the original house in an "Osborne House" style. The part to the left of the tower is not shown at all on the 1827 plan (above). If Willis built it, the lack of windows would be strange, so perhaps it began as a structure associated with the Tannery which he remodelled after 1867. The tower could have replaced an entrance giving access to the premises at the rear. The original house which was advertised in 1819 and 1825 appears to be the four-bay building to the right.

1881: Census
High Street

Thomas P. Willis Head married 40 Solicitor b. Leighton Buzzard
Sarah Cowley Willis Wife married 42   b. Winslow
Anne Gammidge Servant unm 19 Housemaid (serv dom) b. Ravensthorp, Northants

The Elms after 1889

More information can be found on the Willis family page. The property now consisted of a large house and interconnecting offices.

1891: Census
High Street

Thomas P. Willis Head married 50 Solicitor b. Leighton Buzzard
Sarah C. Willis Wife married 51   b. Winslow
William G.W. Willis Nephew single 14   b. Leighton Buzzard
Marian E. Allen Visitor single 23   b. Dieppe
Rose Ashton Servant single 33 Cook - domestic servt b. Evenley
Emily Collis Servant single 19 Parlour maid - dom.serv. b. Witney

1901: Census
The Elms

Thomas P. Willis Head married 60 Solicitor b. Leighton Buzzard
Sarah C. Willis Wife married 62   b. Winslow
Gertrude Williams Lady's companion single 40   b. Kensington
Florence Clarke Servant single 22 Cook - domestic b. Singleborough
Elsie Clarke Servant single 19 Housemaid - domestic b. Singleborough

1909: will of T.P. Willis proved
I devise all my real estate in the Parish of Winslow to my said Trustees Upon trust during the life of the said Gertrude Williams to let the same and out of the rents thereof to pay the said Gertrude Williams the annuity of One hundred and fifty pounds (free of duty) during her life by four equal quarterly instalments it having been my late Wife’s desire that ample provision should be made for her during her life ... And upon the decease of the said Gertrude Williams In trust to sell the said real estate and after payment of the expenses of sale to divide the nett proceeds of the sale between and amongst my own Nephews and Nieces in equal shares.

1909: inventory of The Elms taken 29-31 Dec (CBS, D/WIG/2/1/104) includes:
Books in Drawing Room
17 Byron Life & Works
3 Buffon’s Natural History
8 The Ladys Cabinet of Fashion Music & Romance half bound in leather
1 Longfellows Poetical Works h(an)d(so)mely bound in embossed leather
4 Family Friend
1 Family Economist l.b.
3 So Runs the World away l.b.
1 Scotts Poetical Works l.b. in gold
1 Geneva Bible 1599 l.b.
4 Domestic Economy h.l. l.b. & gilt
16 National Pig Breeders Assoc Herd Book Vols 1-13 (1 missing)
2 Journal of the RASE 1901 & 1902
4 Waverley Novels l.b.
15 Gazatteer [sic] of the World
6 The Imperial Gazatteer of Eng & Wales
8 Punch bd in leather & gilt 1859-66
2 Serjeant Ballantin(e)s Exper(iences)
2 Queen’s of Song
63 vols various
Books in Morning Room
Old Book Egyptian
2 Old England. A Museum of Popular Antiquities
4 Lipscomb’s History of the County of Buckingham h(an)d(so)mely bd in h leather
1 Book of Poultry by Wright
2 Lewis’s Topographical Dic of England
1 The Stowe Catalogue illus.
12 Punch Vols 1855-62
10 Botanical Magazine
1 Biographical d(itt)o l.b.
1 Thomson’s Seasons
1 Cassell’s Dic of Cookery with cold plates
Books in Principal Office
Sundry vols of J.P. Reports
Sundry other leagal vols & books
Statutes at Large appertaining to office of Clerk to Justices

Pictures (valued Aug 1910)
Pr of oil paintings of Grandfather and Grandmother in Drawing Room
Pr of family portraits in Smoke Room
Small family portrait in gilt frame in Dining Room
Pr photos Mr & Mrs T.P. Willis in gilt frames
A number of framed family portraits

The inventory lists all the rooms, with valuations of the contents (the contents of the individual rooms have not been transcribed here)
Bedroom No 1
Dressing Room
Bedroom No 2
First Landling
W.C.
Bedroom No 3
Servants Bedroom No 4
Bedroom No 5
Dressing Room
Bedroom No 6 & Small Dressing Room
Bathroom
Box Room adjoining
Second Landing
Top attics                                                        [total] £165 2s
Drawing Room
Morning Room
Dining Room
Smoking Room
Lavatory
Lobby
Entrance Hall
Kitchen
Scullery
Pantry
Larder                                                            [total] £321 17s
E.P.         (Sundry)
E.P.         in Dining Room
E.P.         in cupb(oar)d Morning Room
Silver & E.P. (Dining Room)
Silver (in Dining Room)                                  [total] £133 17s
[In left margin] Electro plate & silver only retd at £132 10s
Glass in cupb(oar)d Morning Room
Glass in cupb(oar)d in Hall                             £10   4s  6d
China in Drawing Room                                £16 19s 6d
Jewellery                                                        £46  10s
Offices of Messrs Willis & Will(is)
(Copying office)                                              £90   0s  6d
Linen & blankets                                             £40   8s  6d
Wine                                                                 £17  1s
Outside Greenhouse
                In Garden
                The Fernery
                Peach House 1
                Ditto      2                                          £9  6s  6d
                Coach House
                Saddle Room
                Harness Room                                   £45  15s
Gas Engine etc.
Yard                                                                   £11   5s   6d
Yard over Road
                                Cucumber Ho(use)
                                Loose Box
                                Copper House
                                Next House                        £14  6s
Outside
Woodshed
Potatoe [sic] House
Potting Shed
Engine House
Loft over
Wash House
Garden
Dairy
Coal                                                                 £23 19s
Returned at                                                    £946 12s

1910: typewritten copy of letter from Geo Wigley & Sons to Mr Hugh Ray of Small & Barker, 11 Aug
Dear Sir,
In accordance with your instructions of Thursday last we have made an inspection of the property in the High Street, Winslow, with a view to advising as to value.
We understand that the property on which we are required to advise comprises a Freehold block of offices, as now in the occupation of Mr. W.G.W. Willis, together with that part of “The Elms” as is comprised in the new part of the house errected [sic] by the late Mr. Willis, but excluding on the ground floor, that part of the passage between the kitchen and the old dining room, extending from there to the door of the morning room, with the return along the side of the morning room to the oak door formerly giving access to the late Mr. T.P. Willis’ office (this opening is now bricked up on the office side) and farther, that the lavatory communicating with this passage, and overlooking the back premises is also to be excluded from our report.
 We take it from your instructions that it is no part of our duty to deal with the method of division, but as Surveyors responsible for this report, we must protect ourselves to this extent by calling attention to the following facts: -
1.    The division between the two properties will not be carried through in a straight line.
2.    That the value of the lavatory and part of the passage will be under the bedroom of the property to be valued, and presumably passed to another owner.
3.    That the question of maintenance of party walls will have to be considered.
4.   Provision will have to be made for estimates easements as regards drainage and water supply.
5.   Provision will have to be made for bricking up the openings at present communicating with the several parts of the property to be divided.
6.  Provision will have to be made as regards rights of light now existing, with further provision to out the existing casement windows on to the part to be conveyed.
                Description of the Property
The property at present comprises a modern brick-built and tiled block of offices with entrance porch and hall; front office with a strong room, clerks office, press copy room, and on the first floor 2 front offices and a large office at the back, whilst on the ground floor there is a lavatory, at present projecting into the portion of the house which it is proposed to convey. There is also a cellar under a portion of the offices. In the yard at the back is a brick and slated coal house and W.C, which however are under the roof of a building which it is not proposed to convey.
There is a side entrance to the yard, and back of the offices. Beyond this the property includes that portion of “The Elms” comprising a good morning room on the ground floor, whilst on the first floor there is a large front bedroom, (over the said morning room;) a back bedroom and a lobby, the latter at present giving access to another bedroom to be retained, and a bathroom, also retained.
At the top of the steps, leading to the front bedroom, there is an archway, and this opening it will be necessary to block brick up, as also the opening communicating from the lobby.
So far as our admeasurements go it would appear to be advisable that the wall dividing the two properties should be vested entirely in the portion to be retained. It will then give a more direct line for the purpose of division.
The property has a frontage of approximately 60 feet to the High Street, and in consequence of the reservation of the lavatory on the ground floor, it will not of course have this depth at the back.
                Tenure
We understand that the whole property is Freehold, and subject to Land Lax [sic].
                Value
The property as divided is not a self-contained proposition, but having regard to the somewhat various objections with which we have dealt, we consider the present Freehold value of the property which it is proposed to convey is NINE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS (£950).
                Yours faithfully,

1910: sale of the contents of The Elms, 9-10 Sep
The sale raised £1,082, a tiny fraction of the money which T.P. Willis had been found to owe.

1911: Auction Particulars, 29 March
LOT 3
A very desirable Freehold Residential Property of imposing elevation, known as “THE ELMS,” WINSLOW,
WITH LONG AND VALUABLE FRONTAGE TO THE HIGH STREET,
THE RESIDENCE,
Substantially built of brick with partly cemented front, and slated and part tiled roof is entered from the High Street, leading to an
ENTRANCE HALL, with tessellated tiled floor, and Passage leading off the same to
SPACIOUS DRAWING ROOM, 23ft. 11in. x 22ft., having French Casement windows, leading into the small Garden and Lawn.
LITTLE DRAWING ROOM, 15ft. 7in. x 12ft. 9in.
DINING ROOM, 19ft. 10in. x 12ft. 8in.
MORNING ROOM, with cosy corner, 19ft. 3in. x 17ft. 6in.
FITTED LAVATORY with marble-top and basin, and W.C. adjoining.
SMALL GUN OR STORE ROOM.
DOMESTIC OFFICES, comprising – Kitchen, Scullery, Butler’s Pantry, Larder, good Beer and Wine Cellar.
On the FIRST FLOOR
THE EIGHT PRINCIPAL BED AND DRESSING ROOMS, Linen Cupboard, Bath-room with fitted Bath and Hot and Cold water service, W.C. Maid’s bedroom with separate Staircase from Kitchen.
On the SECOND FLOOR
THREE SMALL ATTICS
small Lawn and Garden, with 44ft. TWO-DIVISION VINERY Having 11 healthy black Hamburgh vines.
STABLE YARD Approached from the side Lane, with brick and slated building, containing – 3 GOOD LOOSE BOXES, COACH-HOUSE, 2 HARNESS ROOMS. Potting houses, and a capital Laundry. All having extensive loft over; Brick and slated lean-to Dog Kennel.
NEWLY-ERECTED BRICK AND TILED DAIRY
Brick and slated Servant’s W.C., another Larger walled=in Lawn and Flower Garden With handsome groups of shrubs and ornamental trees, the beds planted with many of the choicest Tea and other Rose bushes.
RANGE OF PEACH HOUSES
75ft. run in three divisions, with heating apparatus.
Adjoining the Back Lane and on the extreme boundary of the property is A LARGE BRICK AND SLATED STORE SHED, 59ft. 6in. long by 15ft. wide. Together with a right of access over Lot 4, at and for all reasonable times and purposes, to the pump and well on Lot 4, and to the user of the said pump and of the pipe connecting it with Lot 3, the repairs of such pump and well to be done at the joint expense of the purchasers of Lots 3 and 4.
There are several pumps and wells of water on the property, and a soft-water pump in the Wash-house supplied from a large rainwater tank.
The Property is a very compact one, and the Garden attractive without entailing a large expense for upkeep. It forms an excellent
HUNTING BOX, or with its extensive valuable frontage on the East side of the High Street, it affords unique opportunity, and might be advantageously converted into Spacious shops, Showrooms, & Business Premises
The gas is laid on and the drains are connected to the Main Sewer. All Landlord’s fixtures will be included.
POSSESSION ON COMPLETION OF THE PURCHASE, but this Lot if not sold will be immediately  offered for sale again in conjunction with Lot 4 as one Lot. Land Tax £2 6s. 6d. (apportioned) (See notes to Lot 4).

LOT 4
The red brick and tiled MODERN BLOCK of OFFICES Adjoining the last Lot, with good frontage, and occupying a commanding position in the High Street, Winslow.
Comprising small Entrance Porch enclosed by two massive panelled oak doors. Entrance Hall with tiled quarry floor; Front Office with Strong Room, Clerk’s Office, Waiting Room; and on the FIRST FLOOR (approached by a flight of stairs from the Hall), two Front Offices, and the large Board Room or Office.
Back Yard with brick and slated Coal-house and w.c.
There is a side entrance to the yard and back of the offices through the gates on the South side of the Lot.
The Lot is sold subject to the right of access and user of the pump and well in this Lot, as mentioned in the particulars of Lot3, and to the liability on the part of the Purchaser thereof to forthwith brick up the passage leading to the house in 9in. brick worn flush with the Passage Wall, the Conveyance to contain a Covenant by the Purchaser to forthwith complete the necessary work, and to keep the said pump and well in repair at the joint expense of himself and the Purchaser of Lot 3.
The Property has been Enfranchised, and possession can be given on completion of the purchase, but if Lot 3 is not first sold, Lot 4 will not be put up as a separate Lot, but will be offered for sale in conjunction with Lot 3 as one Lot.
Land Tax £1 6s. 3d. (apportioned).

LOT 5
A RANGE OF BRICK & TILED BUILDINGS With paved blue Staffordshire brick and pebbled Yard, comprising
4 Loose Boxes and 3 other adaptable Lock-up sheds, one with 3 coppers and furnace.
Another Yard adjoining, with small Forcing House.
There is a pump and excellent well of water on the premises.
The Property has been Enfranchised, and possession can be given on completion of the purchase.
No Land Tax.                                                              

1911: sale of some of T.P. Willis' property, 29 March
LOT 3.
The Freehold Residential Property known as “The Elms,” Winslow, with frontage to the High Street, the residence of the late Mr. T. P. Willis.  An offer of £300 was made but £400 was substituted, and it rose by £50’s to £1,000, and £25’s to £1,425, when it was withdrawn.
LOT 4.
The Block of Offices adjoining the last Lot, in High Street, Winslow.
Lots 3 and 4 were put up together and were started at £1,500, and after two bids of £1,600 and £1,700 were withdrawn.
LOT 5.
A range of 4 Loose Boxes and 3 other Sheds.  This was started at £100 and rose by four bids to £160, at which figure it was knocked down to Mr. Geoffrey Barker, Winslow. [presumably acting for Norman McCorquodale]

1911 Census: no entry

1911: order in Chancery, 26 April
IT IS ORDERED that the conditional contract dated 10th April 1911 and made between Sidney Prudden Wigley of the one part and Geoffrey Metcalfe Barker of the other part for the sale to Mr. Norman McCorquodale for the sum of Two thousand pounds of the hereditaments and premises therein described or referred to being lots 3 and 4 parts of estates directed to be sold by the order dated the 9th day of February 1910 be carried into effect.

1912: Assessment (TNA, IR58/2349 no. 327)
Situation                      House & Offices         
Description                 High St
Gross Value: Buildings   £   112                  Rateable Value: Buildings       £89 – 12 - 6
Occupier                     (Offices) W.G.W. Willis         (House) Vacant
Owner [in 1910]          W.G.W. Willis exor for T.P. Willis decd, High St Winslow
Interest of Owner        Freehold      
Actual Rent                 £112
Outgoings -  Land Tax, £11 – 11 – 3(with other heredits)    paid by             L
Who pays (a) Rates and Taxes (b) Insurance }          (a)       T          (b)        L
Who is liable for repairs                          L
Fixed Charges, Easements, Common Rights and Restrictions Offices & House to be separately valued
Site Value Deductions Claimed          Yes 31/7/12
Particulars, description and note made on inspection
This House would now be difficult to let as a Residence might be converted into 3 Shops  Rooms low and dark Black cement date tiled substantial 4 Principal rooms
Offices 8 principal Bed & Dressing Rooms 3 Attics on Second floor Stable Yard
For full part(icular)s see Messrs Wigley’s part(icular)s of sale attached to ED Case            2R  14P
Valuation – Market Value of Fee Simple in possession of whole property in its present condition    
Say conversion 3 shops to let at £35  £105
Less                                                         15
                                                                90 x 18   £1620
Expenditure necessary say £140 each                       420
                                                                                 1200
Deduct Market Value of Site under similar circumstances, but if divested of structures, timber, fruit trees, and other things growing on the land         
80 feet front   see over  £4 per pole £375
Difference Balance, being portion of market value attributable to structures, timber &c                                   £825
Divided as follows:-
Buildings and Structures                     £825
Market Value of Fee Simple in its present condition (as before)       £1200
GROSS VALUE                                                                                  £1200
Description of Buildings                                
Main Build fairly substantial 43750 cu.ft   £725 worth for conversion into shops 4d
Valuation of Outbuilding as Stables & Stores £100

TNA, IR58/2349 no.329
Situation                      High St
Description                 Old Tan Yard
Gross Value: Buildings   £   10                  Rateable Value: Buildings             £8
Occupier                     Exor for T.P. Willis decd,
Owner                         W.G.W. Willis, as 327
Interest of Owner        Freehold      
Estimated Rent                 £10
Who pays (a) Rates and Taxes (b) Insurance             (a)       T          (b)        L
Who is liable for repairs                            L
Site Value Deductions Claimed          Yes
[stamp] 31 JULY 1912
Particulars, description and note made on inspection           6/12
Yard used as Stabling with following Buildings
Brick & Tiled 4 Loose Boxes 3 Stables
Pump & Well of Water
Lot 5 in Messrs Wigley’s Sale            14p
Valuation – Market Value of Fee Simple in possession of whole property in its present condition                         
Good price out of order                                  £160
Deduct Market Value of Site under similar circumstances, but if divested of structures, timber, fruit trees, and other things growing on the land      
Site calculated on same basis as £ 38
Difference Balance, being portion of market value attributable to structures, timber &c           £122
Divided as follows:-
Buildings and Structures                     £122
Market Value of Fee Simple in its present condition (as before)       £160
GROSS VALUE                                                                      £160
Description of Buildings                                
                        Fr.        Depth  Height Cubical contents
Stables             50        11.6     9.6       5462
(old)                40        11        9.6       4180
                                                            9642 @ 3d
                                                            2145
                                                            = £120
Walls &c. say included
GROSS VALUE                                              £160
Less value attributable to Structures, timber &c. (as before)                        £122
FULL SITE VALUE                                                                                        £  38

1914: in October Mr & Mrs McCorquodale made The Elms available to Belgian refugees. 20 Belgians from Antwerp arrived in November 1914 and some more later. They stayed for about a year.

1917: Winslow Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital opened on 31 Jan at The Elms. It operated until Feb 1919. Read more.

The Elms decorated with flags, nurses and patients outside
The Elms was used as a Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital 1917-19

1924: Kelly's Directory
Willis W. Gravely W, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, High street. T N 5
Midgley William Norris, clerk to the guardians & assessment committee, Winslow Rural District Council, Old-Age Pension Sub-Committee & sec. Winslow New Gas. Co. Ltd. & supt. registrar, High st. T N 5

1925-28: directories          
Rev G.H. Jenner, curate

1926: Buckingham Advertiser, 23 Jan
Wanted, young house-parlourmaid, some experience gentlemen's house. Mrs Jenner, The Elms, Winslow.

1926: death of H.A. Jenner of The Elms aged 79, 31 March
Probate 14 May to Rev. George Herbert Jenner clerk. Effects £5,938 3s 1d.
CBS, D/WIG/2/1/87 (June-Nov): Valuation of The Elms for probate of H.A. Jenner

1928: Buckingham Advertiser, 7 Jan
Curate's departure. Parishioners are exceedingly sorry that the Rev. G.H. and Mrs. Jenner have left the parish ... At the end of the month the Rev. E.A. and Mrs. Ommanney will take their place and reside at The Elms. Mr. Ommanney has had a wide experience. He was Commander in the Royal Navy for a time, and then took Holy Orders and was Vicar of St. Michael's, Portsmouth, and later Vicar of St. Mary's, Frome, Selwood, Somerset.

1928: Buckingham Advertiser, 18 Feb: Bucks County Council
Gifts of land from Mr. Norman McCorquodale ... for road widening and corner improvements ... Corner at the Elms, High Street, Winslow

1929: Buckingham Advertiser, 11 May
Wanted, cook-general and house-parlourmaid, not over 40. Mrs. Ommanney, The Elms, Winslow.

1929: rating valuation
Offices, 28 High Street: W. Gravely W. Willis occupier, N. McCorquodale owner. Gross value £42.
House & garden, 30 High Street: Rev. Ommanney occupier, N. McCorquodale owner. Gross value £65.

1931: Kelly’s Directory
Powell, Rev. Fitz-Henry T.S., M.A. (curate of St. Lawrence), The Elms, High street

1933: Buckingham Advertiser, 20 May
Mr. E. Carter, who is staying at the Elms, Winslow, the residence of the Rev. F.T.S. Powell, has presented the Winslow Branch of the British Legion with the nucleus of a library.

1933: Buckingham Advertiser, 11 Nov
The choral section of the Winslow Women's Institute have recommenced practices ... they have the advantage of holding their meetings in the drawing room at "The Elms".

1934: Buckingham Advertiser, 20 May: wedding of George Hawkins and Clara May Young
The bride had been engaged at the residence of the Rev. and Mrs. F.T.S. Powell, the Assistant Curate and his wife, of the Elms.

1935: Kelly’s Directory
Findlay, George Hugo, The Elms, High street

Horse-drawn float with Queen Victoria
The Women's Institute float from the 1937 Coronation procession was photographed outside The Elms. Miss Clear was dressed as Queen Victoria, with representatives of the British Empire.

1937: Buckingham Advertiser, 2 Oct
Messrs Geo. Wigley & Sons are instructed by G.H. Findlay, Esq. C.M.G. (who is leaving) to sell by auction on Tuesday, October 5th, 1937, at 2 o’clock: Superior surplus furniture.

1939: Kelly's Directory
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages. E.V. Trunkfield (attends mon. & thurs.), 28 High street
Midgley, Wm, Norris, clerk to the Buckingham Area Guardians Committee, Old Age Pension Sub-Committee & sec. Winslow New Gas Co;, Ltd., 28 High st. T N 5
Nash, Peter H. solicitor 28 High st. T N 5
Willis, W. Gravely W. solicitor & commissioner for oaths, 28 High st. T N 5

1939: Hillier's Almanack
28 High Street: W.G.W. Willis, solicitor
The Elms, 30 High Street: G.C. Ingram

Czechoslovakian exiles came to Addington and Aston Abbots in 1940, but they arrived in Winslow before then.

1939: Buckingham Advertiser, 26 Aug: funeral of Constance McCorquodale
Four of the Czechoslovaks in residence at the Elms joined in the impressive tribute of esteem.

1939: Register
The Elms

Egan [Egon?] Steiner male 14 Oct 86 married Anti Hitler Refugee
Julie Steiner female 15 Feb 00 married Anti Hitler Refugee
Ennlie Schonbergerova female 3 July 65 widow Anti Hitler Refugee
Rudolf Schonberg male 28 Apr 87 divorced Anti Hitler Refugee
Rudolf Steiner male 13 Dec 63 widower Anti Hitler Refugee
Stepanka Savlova Bartley female 4 Sep 82 widow Anti Hitler Refugee
Zdenek D.LL Popper male 26 Oct 04 married Anti Hitler Refugee
Hela [Helga] Popperova female 22 June 11 married Anti Hitler Refugee
Olga Winterova female 28 Feb 89 widow Anti Hitler Refugee
1 record closed
Jan / John R Popper male 18 Apr 32 single Under school age

The following information has been compiled from TNA, HO 294/554/5812

Zdenek Popper born 5.X.1904, arrived Harwich 31.iii.1939
Home Office permit valid for 3 months until 30.11.1939. Political refugee.
Lawyer with 5 years experience having qualified by diploma at Czech University Prague
Languages – Czech, German, French & English partly
Comments: Dr Popper had difficulties when he landed at Oldensaal. On the instigation of their uncle, Messrs Merett Son & Street guaranteed for them. Dr Popper & his wife have been politically very active.
Note dated May 13 1939: These people’s case has been discussed with Herr Belina. They had taken a flat at £10 per month & signed for 2 months to end of May. After that they must move to cheaper rooms & get usual grant.
[stamp] BRITISH SUBJECT 15-6-56 Pharmaceutical Assistant
[stamp] BRITISH SUBJECT 28-3-58 Turkey Breeder [Zdenek Popper died at Malvern in 1965 aged 60]

Information from Czech Refugee Trust Fund:
Member of Social Democratic Party
How admitted to U.K.     Guarantee through Committee
Date of arrival in U.K.      31.03.39
Escaped from Czechoslovakia through Germany to Oldensaal.  He obtained a visa for the United Kingdom on the basis of a guarantee from Messrs. Merrett Son, & Street, 32 Finsbury Square, London.
The Trust has no other information about him.
30th November 1939. [address given as The Elms]

Wife Hela Popperova formerly Winter born 22.06.1911. 6 years' experience as dressmaker and milliner. Also a member of the Social Democratic Party. Languages – Czech, German, French & English. [Hela Popper died in Mid Powys in 1981 aged 71]
They received weekly payments usually of 62s 6d up to 9 Sep 1939.
Two children with parents:
Hanna Eva           Born Prague       11.XI.1933          F
Jan Lev                                            18.IV.1937          M
Another child, Helga Jean Popper born at Stokenfield Nursing Home, Great Malvern on the Twenty fourth September 1942.

1940:  Buckingham Advertiser, 18 May: Winslow RDC
The view was expressed that the suggested building for the Winslow hostel [for unbilletable children] at the Elms was too much on the street.

1943:  Buckingham Advertiser, 20 Feb: Winslow RDC
The Clerk reported that the Evacuation Committee had made staffing arrangements to reopen the Elms Sick Bay on February 22nd. Miss Herbert, the newly appointed Matron, was at work, and an auxiliary nurse, cook and daily cleaner had been engaged. The Minister of Health hoped to provide a senior assistant nurse.

1943:  Buckingham Advertiser, 25 Sep: Winslow RDC
The Evacuation Committee had commented upon the cost of keeping open the Elms Sick Bay and had suggested that it should be closed.

1944:  Buckingham Advertiser, 17 June
Winslow RDC at their meeting on Friday, decided to purchase, at £3,000, the Elms, Winslow, for use as offices and board-room.  Messrs. Hodson, Powell and Gadsden had met as a sub-committee to discuss the purchase and the Architect (Mr R.C. White) had inspected the premises.  The adjoining solicitors’ office was included in the purchase.

Copyright 13 May, 2024