Vicarage Road, Verney Road and Furze Lane

Aerial view taken in 1947
Most of Vicarage and Verney Roads has changed since this photo was taken in 1947. The open spaces north of the road have been replaced by Furzedown School, the "Glade" estate, Byford Way and St Laurence and St Albans Roads There are also houses all along the north sides of Verney and Vicarage Roads themselves and in Parsons Close. Oak Lodge, 2-4 Vicarage Road and the Vicarage have all been replaced. You can see the first houses on the north side of Vicarage Road (above the "Parsons Close" label) which were built by the Ministry of Defence from 1946.

The present-day names of the roads are due to the Victorian Vicarage (built 1863) and Verney Junction Station (opened 1868).  Before then, they were usually known as Back Lane and Addington Lane, and even earlier Cross Lane.  The name of Furze Lane is first recorded in the 1870s (it was also sometimes called Back Lane and Featherbed Lane in the 20th century). The names were only established officially by Winslow Rural District Council in 1939:

Buckingham Advertiser, 20 May 1939
On circulation [to Winslow RDC] of the report on housing progress, the Surveyor called attention to the need of naming the street known as Verney Road, which, he pointed out, was sometimes called Back Lane, Verney Lane or Vicarage Road, and to the numbering of houses on the south side, including the new Council houses. The name Vicarage Road was adopted for the section up to the corner of the housing site and Verney Road from that point. The short section of road connecting Western Lane with Vicarage Road-Verney Road, is to be called Back Lane [= Burleys Road].

OS map
Furze Lane, Verney Road and Vicarage Road in the 1920s

Before Enclosure in 1767, Vicarage/Verney Road was only a minor lane and Furze Lane didn't exist at all, but the Enclosure Award required:

The gate at the boundary with Addington was later known as the Watergate. Furze Lane wasn't marked on Bryant's map of 1825 or the 1830 OS map, but was under the jurisdiction of the surveyor of highways (i.e. a public road) by the time the railway was planned and a bridge had to be built.

Click on the links below to go straight to the different sections of this page:


Hogson's Close and 1-5 Vicarage Road (Punn's Cottages)

5 Vicarage Road (formerly known as Punn's Cottages) is Grade II listed, described like this in 1984:

House. C17, altered. Possibly timber framed in part, now covered with whitewashed render. Old tile roof, coped gable to left, central brick stack. T-plan with gabled projection part rubble stone, to north. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Projection has window with old mullion to first floor, similar window in S. front. Other windows C20. Entry to N.S. front has re-sited stone gargoyle heads at eaves. C20 conservatories to S. and in angle of N. front. C19 bay to E, formerly part of No.1, is not of special interest. (see Historic England photo)

Roofs and gables of 1-5 Vicarage Road
1-5 Vicarage Road photographed from the church tower, early 20th century

The house has been attached to the buildings at the rear of 29 High Street since before 1880 (the earliest detailed map) but has always been in separate ownership. It was probably approached from the churchyard as well as (or instead of) from the road. It has often been identified as a former vicarage (Saving, Glimpses of Past Days, 13), but the current building doesn't seem to be any older than the vicarage which was demolished in the 19th century (see Vicarage). There are "four grotesquely carved faces, that are tucked up under the guttering" (Saving, 13), on the side facing the church, presumably reused stonework from the church or elsewhere.

The first clear reference is from the 1688 manor court: Anthony Deely and Margaret his wife mortgaged to Daniel and Ann Stevens for £50 "a messuage now in the occupation of William East and a yard commonly called William Hogsons Close, the Crosse Lane [i.e. Vicarage Road] on the north".

The name of the close probably came from William Hogson (1607-66). According to the survey of 1556, Robert Hoggeston held a cottage between the graveyard and the Queen's highway which might refer to the same location. Robert made his will in 1558, leaving sons John and Thomas, but the surname was very common; William could be the son of John's son Thomas (1571-1617).

According to the will of Ann Stevens made in 1705 the Deelys' mortgage was never paid off. Her will also says that "there hath since lately been a house erected" on the land, probably adjoining the original house. At the 1705 manor court she transferred her interest to William Hall of Addington husbandman and Margaret his mother with a condition that her heirs should pay them £25 after her death. She bequeathed her own interest to "my Loveing Brother in lawe William Shelton the Eld(er) of Winslowe aforesaid Shoomaker".

The 1708 manor court reported Ann Stevens' death and the admission of William Shelton to her interest in the property. It also recorded that it "was subject to equity of redemption for the heirs of Antony Deely deceased", i.e. his son Thomas could still redeem the mortgage. The original messuage was now in the occupation of Thomas Gally.

In 1709, all the interested parties (Thomas Deely jr, William Hall & Margaret Hall, William Shelton sr & Ellen his wife) sold to Thomas Whiteaves and Elizabeth his wife "a messuage in Winslow lately erected in the close called Hogsons Close with all outhouses, yards, gardens, backyards". It's not clear what happened to the rest of Hogson's Close at this stage but by 1781 the Land Tax shows that it was owned by Joseph Dudley and occupied by Richard Lomath (see below for the houses built there).

Thomas Whiteaves made his will in 1750 and died in 1754. The messuage in Hogson's Close is not mentioned specifically, so would have gone to Thomas' widow Elizabeth for the rest of her life, then to his son William.

In 1767 Joseph Cobb of Winslow yeoman and Elizabeth his wife mortgaged to Francis Cox of Winslow glazier for £70 "a Messuage in Winslow in a Close called Hodgsons Close now in the Occupation of the said Joseph Cobb and William Whiteaves their Undertenants or Assigns". In 1782 John Cox (son of Francis) was admitted to the property at the manor court because the mortgage had not been redeemed.

In 1795 the Land Tax shows that Joseph Dudley's property was occupied by John Cheney. In his will of 1799 he left all his property in Winslow to his son, also Joseph Dudley.

In 1805 John Cox sold to Joseph Dudley of Winslow, draper "a messuage (now divided into two tenements) in a close called Hodgsons Close heretofore in the occupation of Joseph Cobb & William Whiteaves, since of Mary Barrett & James Royce, now of William Punn & James Royce". The advert for the sale referred to "Two Copyhold Messuages or Tenements, adjoining each other, with the Barn, Yard, and Garden belonging thereto, situate near the Church-Yard, in Winslow aforesaid, in the Occupations of William Punn and James Royce" (Northampton Mercury, 23 Feb 1805).

The 1805 Land Tax shows Joseph Dudley as owner of properties occupied by John Cheney (1s 3½d, i.e. the land) and Wm Punn (late J. Cox's) 3s 4½d. Dudley now owned the whole of the property which was divided in 1709.

1813: will of Joseph Dudley, draper
I give and devise unto my wife Penelope Dudley and my son Thomas Dudley ... those two copyhold Cottages or Tenements situate in Winslow aforesaid now in the occupation of William Punn and Matthew Deeley With the Gardens thereto belonging

1814: Land Tax: owner Mrs [Penelope] Dudley, occupiers Matthew Deeley 1s 3½d, Willm Punn 3s 4½d

1815: manor court
Joseph Dudley held all that orchard garden or close of pasture ground heretofore in the occupation of Joseph Dudley his father and of John Cheney and now of Matthew Deely [to which he was admitted as his father’s devisee in 1799] ... and all that messuage or tenement (now in two tenements) in a certain close called Hodgson’s Close late in the occupation of Mary Barrett and James Royce and now of Matthew Deely and William Punn ... [Penelope and Thomas were admitted under the terms of his will]

1823: Land Tax
owner Mrs Dudley, occupiers Wm Punn Tailor [father & son] 1s 3½d & 3s 4½d

1827: death of William Punn aged 67

1832: Land Tax
owner Mrs Dudley; occupiers: Wid. Punn & Mark Bunce, house & garden, 3s 4½d; William Punn, house & garden 1s 3½d

1834: death of Elizabeth Punn (nee Bull) aged 74

1840: sale on 30 April advertised in Bucks Herald, 25 April 1840; the property apparently remained unsold:

1841: Census

1844: death of Penelope Dudley

1848: sale by Dudley & Son, 17 July

Lots 4 and 5 are subject to a Land-tax of 4s. 8d. per annum, and to a Quit-rent of 9d.  They are Copyhold of Inheritance of the Manor of Winslow.

1850: manor court
Admission of Thomas Dudley of Adelaide in South Australia, merchant, on the death of his mother Penelope, to:

Church rate
1850-56: Mrs Forster, house & garden
1839-59: William Punn, house & garden; 1859 Widow Punn

1851: Census, Buckingham Road

Susannah Forster Head wid 67 Annuitant b. Winslow
Elizabeth King Niece unm 21 Dressmaker b. Winslow
             
William Punn Head mar 70 Tailor b. Gt Horwood
Mary do Wife mar 73   b. Marketstreet, Beds [sic]
             
Matthew Dealey Head wid 76 Pauper formerly brickmaker b. Winslow
Joseph Teagle Nephew mar 21 Ag. labourer b. Winslow
Mary Teagle Niece mar 20 Lacemaker b. Winslow

1853: manor court
Surrenders by Thomas Dudley, now residing near Sydney in Australia

1860: death of William Punn

1861 Census: Church Yard
The houses are listed after 25 High Street, indicating that they were still approached from the church side. Back Lane was recorded separately.

Thomas Rodwell Head mar 45 Ag. labourer b. Claydon
Sarah do Wife mar 42 Laundress b. Winslow
Julia Walker Dau   12 Scholar do
Amelia Walker Dau   10 do do
Mary Rodwell Dau   9 do do
Rosetta Rodwell Dau   2   do
Sarah Rodwell Dau   6m   do
             
Mary Punn Head wid 83 Formerly lacemaker b. Market Street, Herts [sic]
Benjamin Stevens Lodger wid 72 Annuitant b. Middle Claydon

1861: manor court, 1 May
Surrender: Joseph & Elizabeth King, for £195
Admission: William John Jones of Winslow, dealer in cattle, and Ann his wife [owners of 27 High Street, formerly the Three Pigeons]
Messuage now in the occupation of Widow Punn & Thomas Radwell.
Rent 3d, fine 10s.

William Jones probably built the Victorian addition between the original house and his own outbuildings in the High Street, clearly visible in the photo above.

1864: death of Mary Punn

1871: Census, Back Lane
Thomas Rodwell , 54, ag. lab., b. East Claydon + wife, stepdau, 2 daughters
Elizabeth Bates, wid, 50, laundress, b. Middleton Cheney + son, dau in law, granddau
Mary Bellow, unm, 56, infant schoolmistress, b. Winslow + nephew

1881: Census
Charles Walker 60 gen. lab. b. Winslow + wife, 2 children, lodger Elizabeth Alderman
Arthur F. Taunt 25 signalman b. Oxford + wife, 3 children, lodger Elizabeth Yates & son
Joseph Green 45 platelayer b. Winslow + wife, dau

1886: will of William John Jones
Leaves to his daughter Edith Jane Jones “my three cottages or tenements in the Back Lane in Winslow aforesaid called Punn’s Cottages”

1891: Census
John Mayne 42 carpenter b. Winslow + wife, 6 children
(4 rooms) Sarah Rodwell wid 72 laundress b. Winslow + dau
(3 rooms) Charles Walker 69 ag. lab. + wife, granddau

1901: Census, Vicarage Lane
Joseph French, 53, maltster’s lab., b. Buckingham + wife, 3 children
(4 rooms) Charles Walker, 79, wid + granddau
George Edwin, 49, gardener, b. Winslow + wife, 5 children

1910: Survey
Vicarage Road, 3 houses; owner Edith Jones; occupiers Charles Walker, George Edwin (late), Joseph French

1911: Census, Vicarage Lane
(6 rooms) Mary Ann Higgins, 70, wid, b. Helmdon + niece
(4 rooms) William John Viccars, 29, carter, b. Winslow + wife, 2 children
(3 rooms) Joseph French, 63, gen. lab., b. Buckingham + wife, 2 sons

1922: will of Edith Jane Jones (proved 1926)
Leaves her property in trust for her adopted daughter Thirza Leah Connell

1939: Hillier's Almanack
Vicarage Road
1 Keedle, C.
3 Skeet, D.
5 Porter, A.E.

1939: Register
Vicarage Lane
1: Claude A. Keadle b.1896 pensioner
3: David Skeet b.1867 gardener
5: Alice Porter [later Mathews] b.1901 wid

1950: Buckingham Advertiser, 21 Oct

Investment Properties
Nos. 1, 3 and 5, Vicarage Lane, WINSLOW
Brick, part tiled and part slated roof, as now let and producing
£35. 2. 0. Per annum gross (Landlord paying Rates)
Main Water, Gas and Drainage. Small Gardens.
To be sold by Auction on MONDAY, 30th OCTOBER, 1950
By Messrs. Geo. Wigley & Sons AT THE BELL HOTEL, WINSLOW, At 3 o’clock
(subject to Conditions to be then produced)
For further particulars apply to:-
Solicitors- Messrs. Boutwood, Simpson & Co., Leighton Buzzard, and at Woburn.
Auctioneers:- Messrs Geo. Wigley & Sons, Winslow and Aylesbury.


7-11 Vicarage Road

Originally part of Hogson's Close (see above).

Houses in Vicarage Road viewed from church tower
7-11 Vicarage Road (centre) and Punn's Cottages (right) all have their fronts on the church (south) side in this view taken from the church tower c.1885 after the Reading Room was removed and before 13-15 Vicarage Road were built

1874: Bucks Advertiser and Aylesbury News, 5 Sep
  THE VICAR’S NEW PARISH ROOM is just completed, and is to be inaugurated with a harvest tea, we believe.  It is by far the largest room in Winslow, covering an area of about fifteen hundred square feet, and is to be used for missionary meetings, a school, teas, &c.  Some new cottages are built in connection with it, making altogether a decided improvement for the town. More about the Reading Room.

1881: Census, Back Lane
Mary Bellow unm 66 infant schoolmistress b. Winslow [d.1891 aged 76] + nephew no.11
Alfred Loader 26 gardener b. Aston Oxon + wife, dau no.9
Elizabeth Bates wid 61 laundress b. Middleton Cheney + son, 2 grandch no.7

1891: D/WIG/2/7/1891 sale poster for Geo. Wigley, 23 March, by direction of the proprietors
LOT 1.  Comprises 3 remarkably well-built brick and tiled COTTAGES of modern erection situate in the Vicarage Street, Winslow, and nearly in the centre of the Town, very pleasantly and conveniently situate and each containing 2 front sitting rooms and kitchen, and 3 bedrooms, with gardens, and brick and tiled wood and coal houses; 2 in the occupation of William White and Mrs. Sharp, and one lately occupied by Mrs. Bellow deceased, at very low rents, amounting to £19 10s. 0d. per annum; and adjoining a valuable piece of BUILDING GROUND with a frontage of about 27 feet, and a depth of about 60 feet, and containing about 180 square yards. [i.e. the site of nos.13-15]
It is copyhold of the Manor of Winslow, but nearly equal in value to Freehold.
The cottages were apparently bought by Thomas Walker.

1891: Census
(4 rooms) William White 41 bricklayer’s lab. b. Adstock + wife, 5 children no.7
(4 rooms) Elizabeth Sharpe wid 81 on parish allowance b. Aylesbury + dau no.9
1 unoccupied no.11

1901: Census, Vicarage Lane
Anne White, wid, 59, laundress + 2 daughters, 2 grandch no.7
William Mumford, 41, groom, b. Steeple Aston + wife no.9
George Whichello, single, 79, letter carrier superannuated, b. Dartford no.11

1910: Survey
Vicarage Road: 3 houses; owner Thomas Walker; occupiers Fanny White, Edward Keys, George Whichello

1911: Census
3 Vicarage Lane (5 rooms) George Whichello, 89, single, postman pensioned, b. Dartford no.11
Vicarage Lane (5 rooms) Charles Walker, 90, wid, formerly gen. lab., b. Winslow + granddau no.9
1 Vicarage Lane (5 rooms) Fanny White, 47, single, laundress, b. Winslow + son no.7

1939: Hillier's Almanack, Vicarage Road
7 Tucker, L.
9 Gibson, L.C.
11 Garner, A

1939: Register
Vicarage Lane
7: Lionel Tucker b.1884 labourer
9: Bernard Carter b.1901 gas worker
11: Archie E. Garner b.1905 sub ganger railway repairs

1946: Buckingham Advertiser, 27 June
   Interest was created at Winslow on Monday by a property sale conducted by Messrs. George Wigley and Sons at the Bell Hotel, Winslow.  ... Mr. F. W. Crook purchasing the block of brick and tiled cottages, Nos. 7, 9 and 11 Vicarage Road at £353. ... Each containing 5 rooms and let on weekly tenancies totalling £42 5s p.a.


13-15 Vicarage Road and adjacent land

According to A.J. Clear in 1932:

In Church Lane, at the back of the Old Windmill Inn, there has been considerable alteration.  Where the little alley goes up [presumably he meant the access to 1-5 Vicarage Road], there was another blacksmith’s forge, kept by the Varney’s, but used chiefly for horse shoeing for which they had quite a reputation [this might mean James Varney/Verney in 1798; later Varneys were farriers but not in this location].  There was a farm yard standing there and the passage through was a short cut to the Church, coming out at the back of Mr. Holdens [27 High Street] and with a pond at the corner, into which some Winslow men once threw a young policeman.  The farm house was pulled down and Mr. Preston built a fine big iron Reading Room on the site.  When he died his widow sold it and it is now all cottages. 

The land was originally part of Hogson's Close (see above). Some farm buildings were erected on it in the 18th century and passed into separate ownership in 1771.

1771: manor court
Francis Collins also held a malting barn, wheathouse and other buildings then in the possession of Robert Gibbs of Winslow malster.  He devised them to Joseph Dudley by his will, and revoked it by a codicil, devising them to Robert Gibbs, who desired to be admitted tenant.  Rent [blank], fine [blank].  Robert immediately surrendered them to his own use for his life, then to Jane Gibbs his wife for her life, then his right heirs.

Francis Collins also held an orchard or close of pasture ground with the malting barn, wheat house and other buildings, in the occupation of Joseph Dudley and Robert Gibbs.  He devised it to the use of Joseph Dudley of Winslow draper.  By a codicil of 5 Jan 1771 he revoked the devise of the buildings and gave Joseph only the ground.  Joseph desired to be admitted tenant.  Rent [blank], fine [blank].

1795: manor court
Robert Gibbs late of Winslow malster held ... a malting and barn and yard near the Churchyard late in his own occupation ... By his will dated 24 Jan 1794 he devised all his copyhold messuages & lands to his brother Richard Gibbs, subject to the legacies mentioned in the will.  Richard Gibbs desires to be admitted. 

Surrender: Richard Gibbs brother of Robert Gibbs late of Winslow maltster deceased
Admission: Francis Budd
All that malting and barn and yard thereunto belonging situate and being in Winslow aforesaid near the Churchyard late in the tenure or occupation of the said Robert Gibbs deceased

The malting was then converted into cottages.

1833: manor court
William Budd late of Goswell St, Leghorn merchant & straw hat manufacturer held ... 3 cottages formerly a malthouse near the Church Yard heretofore in the occupations of Richard Wilmer, Jane Woodward & William Hopkins with barn and yard, all now in the occupations of George Maydon, Jane Woodward, Ann Hopkins & Mark Morris.  William was admitted 28 Nov 1823 on the death of his father Francis.
By will of 1831 he devised them to his wife Elizabeth subject to an annuity to his mother Mary.  Reversion to his 3 sons Francis, William & John as tenants in common. Elizabeth Budd of Whiteheads Grove, St Luke, Chelsea, widow desires to be admitted.

1835: manor court
William Budd held ... 3 cottages [as above].   Francis Budd of Goswell Terrace, Parish of St Luke, Leghorn hat merchant, eldest of the sons, desires to be admitted to his reversion on the decease of his mother.  He then surrendered it to his mother Elizabeth Budd of Whiteheads Grove, St Luke, Chelsea. [She must be the mother of John Budd, below]

1838: Coronation of Queen Victoria, list of recipients of food and drink
Edward Taylor & Wife
James Ablethorpe & Wife 2 Sons & 2 Daughters
Mattw Deeley & Wife

1841: Census [identification of houses very uncertain]
Matthew Deeley 65 ag.lab.
George ?Scammell 45
Edward Taylor 67

1851: Census, Buckingham Road [identification of houses very uncertain]
William Yewlett, 24, rail labourer, b. Winslow + wife, 2 children
William Bellow, 76, ag.lab., b. Adderbury [d.1854] + wife, dau, 2 grandchildren

1861: Census, Back Lane [identification of houses very uncertain]
James Evans, 36, ag.lab., b. Winslow + wife
Joanna Bellow, unm, 46, lacemaker, b. Winslow [d.1865] + son 16
[listed at end] Richard Gordon, 34, platelayer, b. Bletchley + wife, 3 children

1871: Census: Back Lane, after Vicarage
Thomas Weston, 44, ag. lab., b. Winslow + wife, 3 children
Richard Verney, wid, 74, ag. lab, b. Winslow + son
John Viccars, 42, ag. lab., b. Winslow + wife, 6 children
Joseph Green, 36, ag. lab., b. Winslow + wife, 2 children

1874: Bucks Herald, 26 Sep
... On the spot where stood a short time since in the centre of the town of Winslow some very old and dilapidated cottages, almost unfit for human habitation, and nearly the only relict of Winslow cottage antiquity, has been erected at the entire cost of the Vicar of Winslow, the Rev. A.  M. Preston, a very neat and commodious iron room ... . Read more about the Reading Room.

1875: Centre for Bucks Studies, D/WIG/2/07/1891/7: sale of the site [see nos.7-11]
Envelope labeled “Mrs Preston, Winslow”
Includes: Receipt dated 2 Feb 1875 by Walls, Abbott & Martin from Rev A.M. Preston for £254 3s purchase money and interest due to Mrs Brown on completion of sale of Winslow cottages.  29 Jan 1875: letter about copy of court roll.
Note of court roll entries: admission of coheiresses of John Budd; their (Mrs Roberts, Mrs Woodman) surrender to Mrs Brown; her surrender to Rev. Preston [no dates]

The Reading Room was removed and the site sold in 1891, apparently to Thomas Walker, who built two new houses.

1901: Census, Vicarage Lane
Esther Goodger, widow, 70, b. King’s Walden no.13
Charles Goodger, 42, coachman, b. Winslow + wife, dau no.15

1910: Survey
Vicarage Road: 2 houses; owner Thomas Walker; occupiers Harry Ingram, Mary Walker

1911: Census
5 Vicarage Road (4 rooms) Mary Walker, 28, single, dressmaker, b. Winslow no.15
Vicarage Road (4 rooms) Harry Ingram, 60, single, butcher, b. Winslow + sister no.13

1939: Hillier's Almanack, Vicarage Road
13 Hobbs, J.A.
15 Walker, Sarah

1939: Register, Vicarage Lane
13: James A. Hobbs b.1910 grocer’s assistant
15: Sarah A. Walker b.1868 single, householder

1946: Buckingham Advertiser, 27 June
INTERESTING PROPERTY SALE
   Interest was created at Winslow on Monday by a property sale conducted by Messrs. George Wigley and Sons at the Bell Hotel, Winslow... the brick and tiled cottages, Nos. 13 and 15 Vicarage Road were sold to Mr. T. H. Lewis at £670 ... Each having 5 rooms, one let at 6s per week and the other with vacant possession.

Adapted version of 1880 OS map
The former Hogson's Close and surrounding buildings shown on the 1880 OS map

The land (part of Hogson's Close) was inherited by Joseph Dudley in 1771. When he died in 1799 he held "an orchard, garden or close of pasture late in the occupation of himself and John Cheney" which his son Joseph inherited. It passed to Joseph's son Thomas Dudley of Australia in 1850 along with Punn's Cottages.

The land formed gardens with access from Church Walk. A piece adjoining Vicarage Road is shown as separate on the 1880 OS map with a building on it. This part was sold in 1923 by R.W. Saunders to Louisa Hendly and after other changes of ownership was bought by Thomas Burrow in 1954 and became his dairy.

1943: Buckingham Advertiser, 16 Jan
Sale by the Executors of the late Mrs. L. S. Hendley includes 36 High Street and:
Also the capital Slaughter House, Yard and Buildings, situate in Verney Road, close to the town, all in excellent condition and with
Vacant Possession On completion of the purchase.

The whole plot was bought by R.W. Saunders in 1919 from Norman McCorquodale after it had been considered for use as an extension to the churchyard.


2-4 Vicarage Road

Back Lane with children in snow looking east
The black building on the left is the end of 4 Vicarage Road. On the right you can see nos.7-15 and the building which became the dairy.

There were two houses on the north side of Vicarage Road at the east end (next to the site which became Grace's School). They are first mentioned in 1807.

1807: Thomas Morecraft bequeathed to his son Thomas
"my copyhold close of pasture ground (lately divided into two several closes and called or known by the names of Jenning’s Close (which I bought and purchased of Richard Gibbs) and Dudley’s Close (and which I bought of John Dudley) and also all those my two copyhold cottages or tenements now occupied by Richard Cox and Francis Warner and being in the said close called Jenning’s Close".

1833: Register of electors
Owner: Morecraft Thomas (Newbury)
copyhold houses & land, Back Lane, occupier: John Morecraft [1835 & 1838 registers refer only to land]

1838: Coronation of Queen Victoria, list of recipients of food and drink
Thomas Webb Wife & 6 Children
Richd Soton Wife & 6 Children Buckingham

1841: Census
Richard Soton 40 tanner
Thomas Webb 42 ag.lab.

1851: Census (Buckingham Road, after Egleton's)
Robert Ossitt, 45, shipwright & police constable, b.Hull + wife, father, niece (paid church rate 1845-54)
William Turnham, 64, butcher, b. Buckingham + wife Frances b. Winslow, son Thomas 32 butcher, dau Frances 18 lacemaker, lodger Richard Mayne 16 farmer's son assistant to father b. Winslow

1861: Census (High Street, after Grace's School)
Thomas Saving, 32, LNWR police constable, b. Winslow + wife, 7 children
James Warner, 37, tanner, b. Winslow + wife, 3 children

1863: manor court
Thomas Morecraft deceased held: a close of pasture (formerly in one close afterwards divided into two and then again laid into one) called Jennings Close containing 4 acres together with two cottages thereon built heretofore in the occupation of Robert Gibbs glover and of Thomas Morecraft, Richard Cox & Francis Warner; then of John Morecraft, Richard Cox & Richard Allen [margin DT Willis 25/10/75]

1871: Census, Back Lane [identification of houses uncertain]
Thomas Smith, 59, ag. lab., b. Winslow + wife, dau
Abel Chandler, 34, sawyer, b. Stewkley + wife, 5 children

1874: sale advert for Thomas Morecraft's property after the death of his widow Emma
LOT 1: A VALUABLE CLOSE of PASTURE LAND, in the occupation of Mr. Silvanus Jones, at the apportioned rent of £20 per annum; also FOUR substantial BRICK-BUILT and SLATED COTTAGES, with Gardens back and front, and Brick and Tiled Wood Barns, let at rents amounting to £23:8 per annum, and containing altogether 4a. 0r. 0p.  This Lot is very valuable for Building Ground.

The cottages seem to have been subdivided or extended to make four, then reunited in the 1880s to make two again. They were bought with the land by D.T. Willis, and inherited by his nephew T.P. Willis. They were probably occupied by his employees.

1881: Census
Thomas Walker 34 bricklayer master b. Winslow + wife, 6 children
William Verney 42 ag. lab. b Waddesdon + wife, 2 children
Thomas Smith 69 gen. lab. b. Winslow + wife
George Stevens 24 carpenter b. Gt Horwood + wife, dau

1891: Census, Back Lane
Arthur George Woodbridge 36 groom b. Swanbourne + wife, 4 children no.2
Richard Turney 53 gardener b. Hockliffe + wife no.4

1901: Census, Vicarage Lane
George Airey, 32, coachman, b. Easton Suffolk + wife, 2 children, mother-in-law no.2
Frederick Aitken, 29, gardener, b. Stanmore + wife no.4

1910: Survey
Vicarage Road: two cottages & gardens; owner T.P. Willis; occupiers George Airey, William Charles Goodger

1910: T.P. Willis sale
Lot 9, two freehold cottages with gardens, immediately adjoining the High-street and let at £15:12:6, bought by Messrs. Matthews Bros. for £230.
Lot 1, known as the Flower Show Field, comprising 7 acres, close to the High-street, was purchased by Messrs. Matthews Bros. at £600.  They also purchased Long Close adjoining, and containing 3a. 3r. 17p., for £300.

1911: Census
Vicarage Lane (8 rooms) George Airey, 42, groom, b. Easton Suffolk + wife, 3 children
Vicarage Lane (6 rooms) William Charles Goodger, 48, gardener, b. Winslow + wife, 2 children

1939: Hillier's Almanack, Vicarage Road
2 Airey, G.
4 White, Fanny

1939: Register, Vicarage Lane
2: George Airey b.1868 horse man [died Oct 1939]
4: Fanny White b.1863 single laundress + Charlotte Odell b.1871 wid cook

The cottages were demolished in the 1970s along with Arundel House at the corner of the road which had also belonged to the Matthews family.


Oak Lodge

This was the first house built on the north side of Verney Road, in 1912 by a dairy farmer named Henry Stock who died in 1943 aged 81. At the first sale of T.P. Willis' property in 1910 it was reported that Rose Close, containing 4a. 1r. 29p., had been bought by Mr. Stock of Chiswick for £450. The 1911 Census records him as a laundryman in Chiswick, born at Portbury, Somerset, running the laundry with his wife and the oldest of his seven children.

1930: Buckingham Advertiser, 29 March
Wanted, good lad, willing to milk and be useful. Apply H. Stock, Vicarage Road, Winslow.

The Stocks were the only family to live in the original house. It became a nursing home when it was sold by Stock's surviving daughters, and has now been replaced by flats.

Oak Lodge

Rose Close, the land on which Oak Lodge was built, was a close at the corner of Verney Road and the road which continued Burleys Road past the windmill to join the Great Horwood Road (this was blocked off after enclosure in 1767). It is first recorded in 1638 when it belonged to the Fige family, but probably took its name from the Rose & Crown Inn. It is mentioned in the Enclosure Award: "a certain ancient inclosed close belonging to William Lowndes now in the occupation of Augustine Seaton called Rose Close". Lowndes bought it in two parts in 1685 and 1692. It was sold by the Selby-Lowndes estate in 1865, which must be when the Willises acquired it.


South side of Verney Road

There were two houses on the south side of Verney Road, one in front of where nos.21-23 now stand and the other in front of nos.45-47. Both were demolished in the 1930s to widen the road.

Site of 21-23 Verney Road

Jane Cook and dog in front of thatched cottage
Jane Cook in front of her cottage on the south side of the road which was demolished in about 1930 to widen and straighten Verney Road. The house was in front of where 21-23 Verney Road now stand. The style of building is 18th-century or earlier. It might have been an encroachment on the 60-feet-wide road stipulated by the 1767 Enclosure Award, or a small plot separated from the field to the south.

It's not certain which house is which in the rate and census records up to 1881
Church rate
Back Lane, house/cottage: Jane Davis 1847-9, John Allen 1849-52

1851: Census, Back Lane
John Neal, brickmaker, 44, b. Stockingford Warws + wife, 4 children

1861: Census, Back Lane
John Keys, 23, carpenter, b. Winslow + wife Sarah, dau Fanny 1m: church rate 1859-61 in place of Ossitt
William Burrows, 28, chimney sweep, b. Rowell Northants + wife, 2 children, boarder Samuel Smart chimney sweep

1871: Census, Back Lane
Samuel Rowe, 53, ag. lab., b. Stewkley + wife Elizabeth [d.1876 aged 75], lodger John Higgins [The Rowes kept The Boot until the 1860s; Samuel Rowe married Elizabeth Walker, widow, daughter of Joseph Gibbs, in 1848]

1881: Census, Back Lane
Samuel Rowe 63 gen. lab. b. Stewkley [d.1885] + wife Jane 60 b. Swanbourne [d.1886]
D/WIG/2/1/14, April-Sep 1885: Winslow: Valuation of property on Back Lane [Samuel Rowe, deceased]
Will of Samuel Rowe

1891: Census, Back Lane
1 unoccupied (occupier recorded at Northampton)
George Cook, the son of Jane Rowe, was recorded at Loddington, Northants, where his father-in-law Thomas Alderman had a farm.

1901: Census, Back Lane
(4 rooms) Jane Cook, single, 48, charwoman, b. Swanbourne + boarder Charles Parsons
She was the daughter of Jane Rowe.

1910: Survey
Vicarage Lane: house owned and occupied by Jane Cook

1911: Census, Vicarage Lane
(3 rooms) Jane Cook, 59, single, b. Swanbourne

31 Verney Road

1948: Buckingham Advertiser, 16 Oct

The Choice Modern Freehold Detached Residence pleasantly situate and known as
“FAIRVIEW,” No. 31, Verney Road
standing high in ideal surroundings, having a frontage of 33 ft. and depth of 160 ft.

THE HOUSE approached by a gravelled sweep with front lawn and flower beds is soundly constructed of Rustic Brick with sand-faced Asbestos tiled roof, and contains all modern conveniences:-ACCOMMODATION : - Entrance Hall (6’ x 13’); Drawing Room (11’6” x 10’ 6”); Dining Room (14’ x 10’); Kitchen with fittings;  Larder, Staircase (250 gal. S.W. Tank concealed in head) leads to : - Three Bedrooms; Bathroom-Lavatory.
Covered way to Side Entrance leads to : GARAGE (14’ x 7’3”), Two Fuel Stores;  W.C.  Open Shed, and useful fitted WORK-SHED.
Approached by concreted slab Paths at the rear:- Small Lawn, Productive VEGETABLE GARDEN (Semi-rotary Pump and S.W. Tank) bounded on the West and South sides with newly erected Diamond mesh Fencing on concrete supports.
Rateable Value £17.
ELECTRIC, GAS, MAIN WATER AND SEWERAGE INSTALLED,
Certain Fixtures and Fittings included in the sale of the property, with Vacant Possession on Completion of Purchase

CHARLES E. BONNER F.A.L.P.A.
has been instructed by Mr. Thomas W. Brooks, to offer the above for Sale by auction at THE BELL HOTEL, WINSLOW, on MONDAY, 15th OCTOBER, 1948 at 3 o’clock prompt

Site of 45-47 Verney Road

There was a piece of land stretching from Western Lane to Verney Road, part of which was called the Great Baulk, which was bought by Francis Warner in 1813. A house was built on the Verney Road side after 1813; it is probably listed in the 1841 Census after The Boot, and was occupied by James Warner (son of Francis). There don't seem to be any photographs.

1832: Land Tax
Francis Warner owner & occupier: house & land, 11s 0d.

1845: manor court
Francis Warner late of Winslow dealer in sheep held two closes now laid together as one close containing 4a 31p [acquired in 1813], and the messuage and other buildings erected thereon by Francis Warner and now in the occupation of James Warner... Francis Warner died intestate leaving Thomas Warner of Winslow his eldest son and heir.  Thomas desires to be admitted.  Rents 2s 6d, fine 18s.  Thomas in consideration of £420 then surrendered to James Warner of Winslow yeoman his brother.

1848: manor court
Surrender: James Warner of Winslow yeoman & Mary his wife on 28 Sep for £616 18s
Admission: George King of Winslow grocer
Two closes now laid together as one close containing 4a 31p, and the messuage and other buildings thereon now in the occupation of James Warner.

1861: Census, Back Lane
William Bates, 41, tanner, b. Buckingham + wife, 5 children, father in law Daniel Holt

1871: Census, Back Lane
Sarah Bates, unm, 29, housekeeper, b. Winslow + 2 brothers + Daniel Holt grandfather 90 b. Winslow

1873: Will of George King (proved 1884)
Leaves to his son George King "My field of arable land in Winslow . . . called “Warner’s Ploughed Field” with the Cottage standing thereon and which said Field and Cottage are now in the occupation of the said Edward Dickins or his undertenants" [Edward Dickins of Granborough d.1891]

1881: Census, Back Lane
Joseph Warner 37 gen. lab. b. Winslow + wife, 3 children, stepdau

1891: Census, Back Lane
(4 rooms) William Verney 52 ag. lab. b. Waddesdon + wife, son

1893: Will of George King (proved 1894)
Leaves to his son Frank Edgar King "my ploughed field and the Cottage and barn and garden thereto adjoining situate in the Back Lane in Winslow aforesaid in the occupation of Thomas Price Willis"

1901: Census, Back Lane
(4 rooms) George Verney, 40, cattleman on farm, b. Winslow + wife, 2 children

1910: Survey
Vicarage Lane: house; owned by executors of George King; no occupier + agricultural land (4a 3r 22p) occupied by John Buckingham

1911: Census, Vicarage Lane
(4 rooms) Mary Foskett, 47, wid, b. Aldershot + dau & son-in-law, 6 children, 1 grandson

1932: Buckingham Advertiser, 16 July: Winslow R.D.C.
There was some discussion with reference to a request, from the County Council, for the granting of land in connection with proposed improvements to Back Lane, Winslow, near where houses were to be built.  It was generally agreed that the improvement was much needed.

1938: Buckingham Advertiser, 26 Feb: Winslow R.D.C.
Cottage purchased from Mr H.G. Carter for widening Verney Road, Winslow.

Council houses

The council houses in Verney Road (nos.1-27) were built in 1938-39 by Gibbard & Ingram: their occupants are listed in the 1939 Register but not in Hillier's Almanack. There was some other piecemeal development to the west during the 1930s.

1939: Hillier's Almanack, Vicarage Road
French, G.E. – Northney
Brooks, T.W. – Fairview
Carter, H.G.
Holmes, R.S.
Tame, A.E. – The Laurels
Crook, C.J.
Phelps, Mostyn
21 Norman, A.

1939: Register, Verney Road
1: Thomas Saunders b.1879 cattleman
3: Albert Norman b.1898 dairyman
5: John A. Dunkley b.1911 fitter & motor engineer
7: Daniel T. Forster b.1880 carpenter
9: John W. Viccars b.1881 builder’s labourer
11: Frederick Langston b.1889 pensioner
13: Arthur Atkins b.1900 lorry driver petroleum distrib
15: Amos C. Phillips b.1897 general labourer heavy work
17: James Adams b.1887 builder’s bricklayer
19: Harold G. Barber b.1890 groom
21: Edward Pegg b.1889 builder’s labourer
23: Edward E. French b.1901 builder’s labourer
25 missing
27: Walter Orme b.1901 gen. labourer brickworks
29: George French b.1910 joiner & carpenter [Northney]
31: Thomas Brooks b.1908 carpenter [Fairview]
33: Mostyn Phelps b.1908 bricklayer
35: Herbert Carter b.1881 smallholder
The Limes: Robert S. Holmes b.1895, branch manager grocery
The Laurels Villa: Doris W. Tame married b.1901 + name obliterated + Gordon Evans single b.1905 schoolmaster
45: Charles Crook b.1897 overhead ??? telegraph
47: Annie Jenkins b.1918 married + name obliterated + Jean A. Hill b.1924 (later Thomas) + Hilda E. ?Strallon b.1924 = Bucks + Doris M. ?Strallon b.1928 (later Ealey)
49: Harry Nicholls b.1910 sanitary inspector [plan for new house submitted to Winslow R.D.C. Sep 1938]


69 Verney Road

This house is built on a very narrow plot of land. It probably began as an encroachment on the road laid out in 1767. It was adjacent to the glebe land, some of which William Roads farmed.

1871: Census, Back Lane

William Roads Head mar 47 Ag. lab. b. East Claydon
Elizabeth Roads Wife mar 48   b. Hockliffe
William Roads Nephew   15 Shoemaker b. Wellingborough
Alfred Roads Nephew   12 Ag. lab. b. Whitchurch Salop.

1872: Buckingham Advertiser, 3 Aug
A PLOT OF VALUABLE FREEHOLD BUILDING GROUND, WITH A PARTLY ERECTED HOUSE, Pigsties, and Hovel thereon, situate in Addington Lane, Winslow; Three Acres of capital Wheat, Beans, and Oats, on the Vicarage Allotments; Donkey Cart and Harness, Brawn, quantity of useful Timber and Building Materials, and various other effects,
WILL BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY MR. JAMES KING On WEDNESDAY, August 7th, 1872, at Five o’clock in the afternoon, on the Premises as above, recently occupied by Mr. William Roads, deceased.

69 Verney Road from the east1881: Census, Back Lane
Henry Dunkley 42 hurdle maker b. Lillingstone Dayrell + wife, 3 children

1891 Census: unoccupied

1901: Census, Back Lane
Harry Saving, 43, chimney sweeper, b. Winslow + wife, 6 children, 1 grandchild

1903: directory
Saving Henry, chimney sweeper, Back lane

1910: Survey
Vicarage Lane, house; owner Mrs Cripps, Union St [Elizabeth Ann Cripps, d.1922]; occupier [added in pencil] Cordell

1911: Census, Vicarage Lane Verney Road
(4 rooms) William Thomas Cordell, 59, pensioned brewers clerk, b. Stepney + wife

1912: 3 Sep: sale by Geo. Wigley & Sons of property of Cripps & Sons included:
A brick and tiled freehold house with garden, in Addington Lane

1925: death of Ellen Cordell, aged 60

1939: death of T.J. (Thomas) Roads-Merry, retired farmer aged 97, at The Cottage.

1939: Hillier's Almanack
23 Roads-Merry, Hannah E.

1939: Register, Verney Road
The Cottage: Hannah Roads Merry b.1864 housekeeper + Amelia Ling b.1868 housewife + Isaac Ling b.1868 sub station master retired


Furze Lane: Brickyard and Cottage

This was land allocated at Enclosure in 1767 to Stephen Gibbs. 

1840: Northampton Mercury, 7 March

VALUABLE FREEHOLD BRICK YARD,
With a neat COTTAGE and CLOSE of old Pasture Land,
WINSLOW, Bucks, TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION,By DUDLEY & SON,
On Tuesday, March 19th, 1840, at Three o’clock in the afternoon, at the King’s Head Inn, Winslow;

COMPRISING A FREEHOLD CLOSE of Fine Old PASTURE LAND, containing about 2A.2R.0P. with a newly erected brick-built and slated COTTAGE, and a capital BRICK-YARD with KILN, large Hovel, &c., and an excellent Bed of Clay and Sand, conveniently situated near to the Market Town of Winslow, and now in the occupation of Mr. William Forster.
   The above offers a very eligible and safe Investment, as the Situation is remarkably good, the Land of the best quality, and the Materials required for the Business are obtained on the spot at little expense; and the constantly increasing demand of the Neighbourhood insures a profitable return.
   Part of the Purchase Money may remain on security of the Premises.
For further Particulars, apply to SAMUEL YEATES, Esq., or to Messrs. WILLIS & SON, Solicitors, or to the AUCTIONEER, Winslow.

Furze Lane Cottage
Furze Lane Cottage. The photo shows the side facing away from the road. The 1840 advert says it had a slated roof, but it was actually tiled as the photo and later adverts show.

Church rate
1843-50 & 1863: John Mayne, house
Brickyard: 1838-40 William Forster, 1840-63 George Mayne (cottage from 1861)

1851: Census
Brick Field: John Mayne, cordwainer, 33, b. Stony Stratford + wife, 2 children

1851: Bucks Herald, 12 April

Valuable Freehold Brick Yard,
With a Neat COTTAGE, and CLOSE of Excellent LAND, WINSLOW, BUCKS.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY DUDLEY & SON,

On TUESDAY, APRIL 15th, 1851 at the KING’S HEAD INN, WINSLOW, at Five o’Clock in the Afternoon, by direction of the Proprietor, unless previously disposed of by Private Contract.
   THE Property comprises a FREEHOLD CLOSE of Valuable Land, containing about 2a. 2r. 0p., with a newly-erected Brick-built and Tiled COTTAGE, containing 2 sitting rooms and 2 bed rooms, and wood barn attached, and a capital brick yard with kiln, 18 feet by 17, capable of burning 25,000 bricks and 40 quarters of lime; hovel and drying shed, about 120 feet long; and a capital bed of clay and sand, and conveniently situated near the market town of Winslow, and now in the occupation of Mr. George Mayne.
  Possession may be had on the 29th Day of September next.
The Timber will be included in the Purchase.  The Kiln and Hovel to be taken at a valuation.  The Land is of the best quality, and the situation remarkably good.
The Materials required for the Business are obtained on the spot at little expense.
The constantly increasing demand in the Neighbourhood, insures a profitable return.
   For further particulars apply to Mr. George Mayne, the Tenant, or to G. F. Congreve, Esq, Solicitor, Stony Stratford;  or to Messrs. Dudley and So, Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

George Mayne must have bought the property.

1861: Census
Back Lane: John Mayne, 42, hay dealer, b. Stony Stratford + wife, 3 children

1867: will of George Mayne, proved 1868
I devise unto my Daughter Matilda the Wife of Frederick Goodchild ... my Close of Arable Land, called the Brick Field situate . . . in Winslow . . . with the Cottage standing thereon

1871: Census, Back Lane
James King, 48, ag. lab., b. Gt Horwood + wife, 6 children

1881: Census, Furze Lane
James King 59 ag. lab. b. Gt Horwood + wife, son

1888: Buckingham Advertiser, 29 Sep
Reference to "Silvanus Jones's Brick Field" in a case at the magistrates' court.

1891: D-WIG-2-7-1891-7, poster for sale by Geo. Wigley, 23 March, including 7-11 Vicarage Road, by direction of the proprietors.
LOT 2.  A neat Freehold brick and tiled COTTAGE in the Addington Road, Winslow, with gardens and outbuildings, and recently let at £6 4s. 0d. per annum.

1891: Census
William Norman 39 farm lab. b. Winslow + wife, 3 children

1901: Census, Furze Lane
William Norman, 48, cattleman on farm + wife, 5 children, 1 grandchild
Buckingham Advertiser, 31 Aug 1934: William Norman, who worked for many years for Silvanus Jones, died at his cottage on Verney Road aged 82.

1910: Survey
Back Lane: house; owner H.A. Jones; occupier John Thomas Boyall
Back Lane: Kiln Field 2a 1r; owner H.A. Jones; occupier Mrs John Newman

1911: Census, Furze Lane
(5 rooms) James Francis Marks, 37, gardener, b. Gt Horwood + wife, 7 children

1919: Buckingham Advertiser, 10th May
ADDINGTON LANE, WINSLOW.
MESSRS. GEO.WIGLEY & SONS Are instructed to Sell by Auction, on MONDAY, MAY 26TH, 1919,
At 3 o’clock (subject to conditions to be then produced),
THE BRICK and TILED DETACHED FREEHOLD COTTAGE, situate in Addington Lane, containing 5 rooms.  YARD, Corrugated Iron Roofed BARN, E.C.  Good GARDEN, the whole covering about 10 POLES.
  Let on a weekly tenancy at the low rent of 4s. per week or a gross rental of £10 8s. 0d. per annum.  No Land Tax.
  Further Particulars of Messrs. Whitehorn, Solicitors, Winslow; or of the Auctioneers.
D/WIG/2/8/112 1919: Sale particulars for auction of cottage on Addington Lane in Winslow
Vendor: H.C. Stock
Tenant: D. Foster

1939: Hillier's Almanack
Furze Lane: Brazier, Chas.

1939: Register
Furze Lane Cottage: Charles Brazier b.1899, builder’s labourer

Copyright 18 November, 2020