Western Lane

Western Lane looking towards Horn Street
The name Western Lane is first recorded in the 18th century but the road itself is much older and has had at least one house since the 14th century. Western Lane was one of the first places where Winslow Rural District Council built council houses: 3 pairs were built by 1922. There were still some old cottages on the other side of the road: only three by the time of the photo, but in the 1851 census there were 13 households in Western Lane. Some of these lived in small cottages built in the 1840s and 1850s when Winslow's population was expanding. In 1760 William Lowndes bought "a messuage at the Towns End of Winslow called Sheepcote House" which stood on the south side of Western Lane (previously known as Sheepcote Lane). The three cottages in the photo, on which the Council placed a demolition order in 1939, may have been much older than anyone realised. 7-9 Western Lane are now on the site.

Click on the links below to go directly to the different sections of this page:


Western Lane: general history

Tinkers End on 1770 and 1825 maps
Western Lane was originally the continuation of Horn Street and the main route from Winslow to Addington, as you can see in the 1599 Fortescue Map. In the 1760s Enclosure moved the road to Addington to what is now called Verney Road and Western Lane became a dead end. There is still a footpath which continues westwards past Glebe Farm to Bridge Farm Cottages (Verney Junction) and presumably follows the line of the old road. The 1770 Jefferys (left) and 1825 Bryant (right) maps above show Western Lane in its reduced form. Details of individual houses are probably not reliable but the road now ended at a barn which is called Wyatt's Barn on maps of 1825 and 1847.

Maps of Western Lane from 1880 to the present

Above you can see the eastern part of Western Lane in 1880 (top), 1925 (middle) and now (from Google Maps). The 1880 map shows there were still a lot of small cottages apparently sharing one well (marked W), but they're not there in the 1881 Census and were probably demolished in the 1870s after the surveying was done for the map. In 1925 the first three pairs of council houses had been built, which were much larger than most of the old cottages. There were also private houses at the end of the road, where Miss Helen Monk built a bungalow in the 1920s. More council houses followed, and you can see in the aerial view how there has been modern infill around Anmount Lodge (now Box Cottage).


Census returns

Between 1841 and 1871 there were about twelve inhabited cottages. The number varies because of some being empty and others subdivided. Samuel Yeates built one new one and Francis Warner built six to add to five which already existed in the 1830s. By 1891 only three were left, shown in the photo at the top of the page.
1841 1851 1861
Weston Lane (starts from Tuckey Farm) Western Lane (starts from Horn Street) Western Lane (starts from Western House)
Charles Holt, agricultural labourer Joseph Seaton, agricultural labourer Eliza Coxill, shoebinder
James Royce, agricultural labourer William Benbow, agricultural labourer James McCarthy, agricultural labourer
John Fosket, agricultural labourer James McCarthy, agricultural labourer James Walker, agricultural labourer + wife Ann, brother-in-law Thomas Warner, ag.lab.
William Benbow, agricultural labourer George Alderman, agricultural labourer George Goodman, bricklayer
John Wesley, agricultural labourer William Bates, tanner's labourer William Tomes, agricultural labourer
John Egelton, cooper James Walker, agricultural labourer + wife Ann, brother-in-law Thomas Warner, drover Charles Walker, agricultural labourer
Richard Harris, painter Frederick Bunce, agricultural labourer George Warner, agricultural labourer
Henry Faulkner, agricultural labourer James Winmen, agricultural labourer Benjamin Walker, brickmaker
George Egelton, cooper Charles Walker, agricultural labourer Sarah Goodger, lacemaker
Thomas Newman, agricultural labourer John Willmore, agricultural labourer George Alderman, agricultural labourer
John Green, agricultural labourer Benjamin Walker, agricultural labourer Anmount Cottage, Claydon Road
(continues with Tinkers End) Charles Holt, agricultural labourer Charles Mayne, coal merchant
  Western Road  
  Charles Mayne, servant out of business  
  (continues with Tinkers End)  
     
1871 1881 1891
Western Lane, Anmount Lodge Western Lane (starts from The Boot) Western Lane (starts from Western House)
Conrad Boisragon, retired artist Charles Mayne, retired coal merchant [=Anmount Lodge] George Verney, farm labourer
Western Lane Bishop Norman, agricultural labourer Daniel Foster, bricklayer
James Walker, agricultural labourer + wife Ann, brother-in-law Thomas Warner, ag.lab. Elizabeth Tombs, no occupation John Taylor, bricklayer but invalid
John Warner, hawker Benjamin Walker, brickmaker out of employ (continues with The Boot)
Thomas Rivett, rural postman John Taylor, bricklayer journeyman Charles Mayne of Anmount Lodge died on 26 Nov 1890 aged 87; he's still listed in Kelly's Directory 1891
Charles Walker, agricultural labourer (continues with Tuckey Farm)
Joseph Walker, agricultural labourer    
Benjamin Walker, agricultural labourer    
Elizabeth Tomes, lacemaker    
James Woodbridge, shoemaker  
(continues with Tuckey Farm)  
     
1901 1911 1939: Hillier's Almanack
Western [=Box] Cottage (starts from The Boot) Western Lane (starts from Western House) 21 houses listed under Burleys Villas, including some in Western Lane: W.E. Illing [Spring Close] and Miss H.C. Monk [Bungalow] are also included.
Susan Dalglish, living on own means Henry Ward, foreman on sewage farm (4 rooms) Western Lane
Western Lane William Kibble, lamplighter (4 rooms) 3. S.A. Morgan
William Verney, agricultural labourer (4 rooms) William Verney, farm labourer (4 rooms) 5. H. Barber
Daniel Foster, bricklayer (4 rooms) Box Cottage 7. A. Atkins
Sarah Taylor, charwoman (4 rooms) Anna Hadden, private means (9 rooms) Box Cottage
(continues with Back Lane) (continues with Tinkers End) H. Kirby

Sheepcote House and Cottage

These were somewhere in Western Lane and might have become the three cottages demolished in 1939, or the cottages demolished in the 1870s. Sheepcote House came into the ownership of the Lowndes family, but the site isn't mentioned in the sales of 1865 or 1897 so they must have disposed of it separately.

1347: Richard Wolman surrendered a cottage opposite Shepecotewyke.  Granted to Richard’s son John.

1352: William le Carpenter demised to Richard le Daye for his life a cottage next to the Shepecetelane.

1356: William le Carpenter and Joan his wife demised to Richard le Daye and Isabella his wife for their lives a cottage next to the Shepecotelane.

The house

1651: To this Court came Margarett Shelton widdowe John Shelton and Bridgett his wife … and in full Court they did surrender … One Messuage with the appurtenances in Winslowe and three leyes att the back side of the said Messuage nowe in the occupation of the said Margarett … To the use and behooffe of Silvester Cleaver and his heires for ever

1682: Silvester Claver and Ann his wife and John Duncombe esq. and Robert Adams gent. and Mathew Adams gent. surrendered a messuage at the Townsend in Winslow called Sheepecott house and 3 acres adjoining called Sheepecott Leyes. To the use of George Knight citizen and glazier of London and Ann his wife and George's heirs.

1693: George Knight, citizen and glazier of London and Elizabeth his wife on 20 May last through William Cherry, chief steward, surrendered a messuage at the Townesend in Winslowe called Sheepcott House and 3 acres of land adjoining called Sheepcott Leyes. To the use of George Blake of Murcott, Oxon, and Mary his wife and George's heirs. [admitted at the April 1694 court]

1708: George Blake and Mary his wife, customary tenants, surrendered a messuage at the Townesend of Winslow called Sheepcoate house and 3 acres adjacent called Sheepcoate Leyes, the highway east and the land of Mr Thomas Blake south … To the use of Richard Bigg gent.

1760: William Lowndes was admitted to a messuage at the Towns End of Winslow called Sheepcoathouse, and 3 acres adjoining it called Sheepcoat Leys, the highway lying on the east and the land of Thomas Blake on the south.  On the surrender of Robert Bigg.

The cottage

1647: William Lownes & Frances his wife complained against William Uddin & Richard Uddin his son about a cottage in Winslow called Sheepcot and an orchard, pightle & 3 selions adjoining in the Westend of Winslow now in the tenure of William & Richard.  To come to the next court to reply.

1648: William Uddens surrendered half a cottage situated in the west end of Winslow being[?] the Wes[....] and 2 acres of land in Winslow fields: over Shipcote furlong 3 selions next to the land of Robert Lownds to the west; 2 selions lying together over Ryfurlong next to Grants Balke with the hads. For the benefit of William Udden [not "the said"] and his heirs, to whom seisin was granted. Annual rent 6d. Fine 4s.

1648: William Udden has died since the last court, seised of half a messuage in Winslow and 2 acres of land in the fields of Winslow: 1 acre next to Shepcote[?] Leyes and another over Ryfurlong. Richard Udden is his son and nearest heir, to whom seisin was granted. Fine 5s. Heriot a bedstead.

The references to "half a messuage / cottage" stop after this, suggesting that the house and cottage were originally treated as one property. They were clearly adjacent.

1668: Richard Udding surrendered conditionally a cottage and 8 acres including "In Demorum Field 1 acre in Sheepcott Furlonge next to the land of Silvester Claver east" after his decease to William his son and Margaret Moore.

1684: William Eden died since the last court seised of: a cottage in Winslow; 1 acre of Leyes in Sheepe Coate Furlong shooteing to the cottage.
William Eden on 16 Oct inst. surrendered through Robert Gibbs and Robert Spooner: a cottage at the west end of Winslow with 1 acre of Leyes adjoining called Sheepcutt Furlong.  To the use of William Eden his son.

1695: William Eden surrendered all his domicile in Winslowe and 1 acre of uncultivated land, the land of Robert Eden east ... To the use of William Eden and Elizabeth his wife for their lives, then the heirs of their bodies, or William's heirs.

1716:
Robert Eden sr mortgaged 1 acre of ley in Sheep Coat Furlong extending to the cottage now in his own occupation. To the use of Benjamin Saunders of Winslowe baker, on condition that the surrender is to be void if Robert pays him £15 7s 6d on 11 April next.

1718:
Robert Eden sr of the Townsend Carpenter, Benjamin Saunders and Elizabeth his wife, customary tenants, surrendered a cottage in Winslowe and 1 acre of "Layes" in Sheep Coate Furlong extending to the cottage, to the following separate uses: To the use of William Eden of Winslowe Yeoman, on condition that if Robert pays him the full sum of £35 and interest on 14 April next at William's dwelling-house in Winslowe, then the surrender will be to the use of Robert, his heirs and assigns forever. Rent [blank], fine 5s.


Samuel Yeates' houses

The name Sheepcote now disappears but it is likely that the former Sheepcote Cottage became the property described below.

1754: Robert Eden of Winslow, Carpenter, and Ann his wife surrendered a stable, garden and part of a Barn, in length 18 foot, and the mounds on both sides, now in the occupation of Stephen Gibbs, to which he was admitted among other lands on 28-29 Oct 1751. To the use of Stephen Gibbs of Winslow, Victualler. Rent 2s, fine 2s 6d, admitted in person.

Gibbs, who already owned the adjacent land, apparently converted the buildings back to a house.

1764: Will of Stephen Gibbs, shopkeeper (proved 1767)
I also give devise and bequeath unto my said Son Richard Gibbs All that my Copyhold Messuage or Tenement situate standing and being in a Lane called Western Lane in the Occupation of the Widow Beech lately bought of Robert Eden, Carpenter with two leys of sweard ground adjoining and lying South of the s(ai)d Messuage

1767: Stephen Gibbs the Elder late of Winslow Shopkeeper who whilst he lived held ... one Messuage situate in Western Lane in the Occupation of the Widow Beech formerly bought of Robert Eden Carpenter, with an Orchard and two Leys of Swerd Ground adjoining and lying South of the Orchard.  Since the last Court he died (having surrendered all his Copyhold Estates to the Use of his Will) and by his last Will and Testament bearing date 8 Nov 1764 devised the Premises to his son Richard Gibbs.  Now to this Court comes Richard Gibbs and desires to be admitted Tenant. Rent 8½d, Fine 7s 6d. Afterwards Richard Gibbs and Mary his Wife surrendered the Orchard and two Leys to the Use of Stephen Gibbs of Tring Shopkeeper, who desires to be admitted Tenant.  Rent 4½d, fine 2s 6d.

1775: Richard Gibbs of Winslow baker and Mary his wife surrendered a messuage in Western Lane in the occupation of Widow Beech, bought by Stephen Gibbs of Robert Eden carpenter, with orchard.  To Stephen Gibbs of Tring grocer and tallow chandler, who was admitted. Rent 5½d, fine 5s.

1776: Stephen Gibbs of Tring grocer and tallow chandler and Elizabeth his wife surrendered a messuage in Western Lane now in the occupation of Nicholas Higgins with orchard adjoining in the occupation of Robert Gibbs.  And a close in Demoram Field in the occupation of Robert Gibbs containing 1a 17p [Enclosure Allotment 48]. To John Goodman of Winslow victualler. Rent 1s 3d, fine 11s 6d.

1796: John Goodman late of Winslow victualler held …  a messuage in Western Lane now or late in the occupation of Nicholas Higgons with orchard, piece or parcel of land now or late in the occupation of Robert Gibbs. And a close in Winslow now or late in the occupation of Robert Gibbs containing 1a 17p [Allotment 48]. He died since the last court.  William Goodman of Winslow brewer only son & heir desires to be admitted. 

1798: William Goodman late of Winslow brewer whilst he lived held … a messuage in Western Lane formerly in the occupation of Nicholas Higgons with orchard adjoining late in the occupation of Robert Gibbs.  [Pencil note: surrendered to the use of Thomas Bowler who was admitted at court 29 Oct 1799, fine 7/-.] died having surrendered to the use of his will.  By his will dated 18 April 1798 he devised them to John Dudley and Joseph Dudley jr of W drapers to sell and dispose.  Rent [blank], fine £1 18s.

Northampton Mercury, 29 Sep 1798
Lot III. A MESSUAGE or TENEMENT in Winslow aforesaid, in the Occupation of William Higgins, with the Close thereunto adjoining, called WESTERN CLOSE, containing, by Estimation, two Acres, in the Occupation of Thomas Bignell.

1799 manor court:
Surrender: John & Joseph Dudley (devisees of William Goodman) & Elizabeth Goodman widow on 17 Nov 1798
Admission: Thomas Bowler of Winslow maltster & wheelwright [who then mortgaged it to the Dudleys]
Messuage in Western Lane with close [Allotment 48, 1a 0r 17p] now in the occupation of Thomas Bignell, Robert Scott & William Higgins.  Rent [blank], fine 7s.

1806 manor court:
Thomas Bowler, Maltster and Wheelwright held amongst other Estates a Messuage in Western Lane with orchard adjoining, and a new inclosed Close of Meadow or pasture on the south side of the Messuage containing by admeasurement 1a 0r 17p now or late in the several occupations of Thomas Bignell, Robert Scott & William Higgins or some of them.  Bowler was admitted 28-29 Oct 1799 on the surrender of John & Joseph Dudley devisees in trust of William Goodman  ... By will [recited] he devised them to his son William Bowler, Maltster who desires to be admitted. 

Samuel Yeates, who owned a lot of houses, bought the property in 1816, converted the messuage into two tenements and built a third.

1842: Bridget Yeates inherited from her brother Samuel Yeates:
... all that Messuage some time converted into two Cottages or Tenements situate ...  in a certain lane called Western Lane in the parish of Winslow ... and another Cottage or Tenement sometime since erected by ... Samuel Yeates on the Ground thereto adjoining with the orchard piece or parcel of Land or Ground thereto adjoining or belonging.
And also all that new enclosed piece or parcel of Meadow or pasture ground situate ...  on the South side of the said Messuages Cottages or Tenements containing by admeasurement one acre and seventeen perches some time since in the several tenures or occupations of Thomas Bignell Richard Scott and William Higgins late of William Bowler, John Handcock and William Neale and now of William Jones, George Egleton and [blank] Penfold and [blank] To which last described premises Samuel Yeates was admitted Tenant at a General  Court Baron held ... on the twenty eighth day of October One Thousand eight Hundred and sixteen on the Surrender of William Bowler and Ann his Wife under the yearly quit rent of One Shilling and three pence.

1844: Will of Bridget Yeates (proved 1846):
And I give and devise unto Charles Willis of Winslow aforesaid Gentleman all that my copyhold close or piece of pasture ground in Western Lane in the Parish of Winslow aforesaid in the occupation of William Jones and all those the cottages or tenements thereto adjoining and belonging two of which are in the respective occupations of James Royce and Thomas Egleton and the other is untenanted which said close and cottages were purchased by my said late brother of William Bowler

1846: manor court
D.T. Willis was admitted tenant as Charles Willis' heir to:
A messuage sometime since converted into 2 cottages in Western Lane and another cottage sometime since erected by Samuel Yeates on the ground thereto adjoining with orchard adjoining, and a new enclosed piece of meadow or pasture on the south side of the cottages containing by admeasurement 1a 0r 17p late in the several occupations of William Jones, George Egleton, Penfold and another, now partly of William Jones, William Bates & Elizabeth Walker, one of the cottages being unoccupied.
Devised to Charles Willis by the will of Bridget Yeates but Willis had not been admitted before his death.

The property passed from D.T. Willis (it's not mentioned explicitly in his will) to his daughter Sarah and son-in-law T.P. Willis. It was evidently combined with the adjacent land.

1910: sale of property of T.P. Willis
Lot 7, “Western Close,” containing 4a. 1r. 10p., with three timber-built thatched cottages, bought by Messrs. Fulks and Sons for £490. 


Francis Warner's houses

1845: Manor court, 14 March
Francis Warner late of Winslow dealer in sheep held (1) a close formerly of pasture but now of arable land called the Great Baulk containing 3 acres, some time since in the occupation of William Mayne, afterwards Richard Walker, now James Warner. And a new inclosed piece of land in New Mill Field formerly in the occupation of William Ashwell, afterwards Richard Walker, now James Warner containing 1 acre 31 perches.  The closes are now laid together as one close containing 4a 31p. With the messuage and other buildings erected thereon by Francis Warner and now in the occupation of James Warner. Francis Warner was admitted 21 April 1813 on the surrender of James Ripley & Susannah his wife.

The 1880 map appears to show a house on the north side of Western Lane which would be the one referred to above. The 1832 Land Tax refers to house and land so the messuage must have been built before then..

He also held (2) two cottages with the garden formerly a pightle of pasture ground thereto adjoining, formerly in the occupations of Matthew Morris, William Higgins & John Hoar, afterwards of Francis Warner & Mary Stairs, now of Thomas Warner, James Walker & William Bates, with 6 cottages afterwards erected by Francis Warner upon part of the ground, two of which are in the occupations of Benjamin Walker & John Elliott and the other four are unoccupied.  Francis Warner was admitted 24 Oct 1814 on surrender of Francis Budd & Mary his wife.

Francis Warner died intestate leaving Thomas Warner of Winslow his eldest son and heir.  Thomas desires to be admitted.  Rents 2s 6d, fine 18s.  Thomas in consideration of £420 then surrendered (1) to James Warner of Winslow yeoman his brother.

The advert below refers to (1) above.

1848: Bucks Herald, 3 June

Valuable Arable Land,
WITH BRICK-BUILT HOUSE & PREMISES, &
AN EXCELLENT GARDEN & ORCHARD,
Winslow, Bucks.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY
Dudley & Son,
On FRIDAY NEXT, June 9th, 1848, at the George Inn, Winslow, at 6 o’clock in the Afternoon.

A MOST Valuable and Productive Piece of ARABLE LAND, containing 4A. 3R. 32P., in a first-rate state of cultivation, with an excellent Garden and well-stocked Orchard, and a convenient House and Premises, and small Barn attached, situate adjoining Western Lane, close to the Market Town of Winslow, in the occupation of Mr. James Warner.
The land is of the most valuable description, and the Orchard and Garden contain between 300 and 400 choice fruit trees.
The Property is Copyhold of the Manor of Winslow, being nearly equal in value to Freehold.
For a view apply to Mr. James Warner, and for further particulars to D.T. Willis, Esq., Solicitor, or to Messrs. Dudley and Son, Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

On 28 Sep 1848 (confirmed at the 1848 manor court) James Warner and Mary his wife sold the property to George King of Winslow, grocer, for £606 18s. The land and house were all said to be in James Warner's occupation. He then moved to the Chandos Arms. The house is mentioned as a cottage in George King's will (made 1879) occupied by Edward Dickins or his undertenant; it was probably treated as being in Back Lane for census purposes. Thomas Warner proceeded to mortgage his cottages - (2) above - as the next entry shows.

1858: Manor court, 25 Oct
Conditional surrender by Thomas Warner yeoman on 30 Dec 1857 for £136 + 5% interest payable 30 July next
To Frederic Willis of Leighton Buzzard
2 cottages in Winslow with the garden formerly a pightle of pasture ground thereto adjoining formerly in the occupation of Matthew Morris, William Higgins and John Hoar, afterwards of Francis Warner and Mary Stairs, late of Thomas Warner, James Walker and William Bates, now of Thomas Warner, James Walker and George Goodman, with 6 cottages afterwards erected by Francis Warner upon part of the ground, two of which were late in occupations of Benjamin Walker and John Elliott, 5 now in the occupations of William Tomes, Charles Walker, Jesse Harding, Benjamin Walker and George Alderman, the other unoccupied.
Warner was admitted 14 March 1845 as eldest son of Francis Warner an intestate.

The six cottages are 5-10 in the list from the 1861 Census. The original two cottages must be 3-4 in the list.


Anmount Lodge / Box Cottage

In his will of 1840, Richard Mayne bequeathed to his son Goldsworth Mayne of Edmonton "all that my cottage or tenement situate standing and being in Western Lane ... in the occupation of William Jennings and the several closes pieces and parcels of land or ground thereunto adjoining in the occupation of James Hawley". This was freehold and isn't recorded in the court books, but seems to be the property in the advert below, as James Hazzard was Goldsworth Mayne's brother-in-law. In the 1832 Land Tax it is described only as land, so the cottage was probably built between 1832 and 1840.

1847: Bucks Herald, 4 Dec

Valuable Freehold Pasture Land and
Two Cottages, at Winslow.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY
Dudley & Son,

On FRIDAY NEXT, DECEMBER 10th, 1847, at
the George Inn, Winslow, at 5 o’Clock in the Afternoon, in One Lot;
TWO CLOSES of Valuable Old Pasture Land, containing 2 acres and 39 Poles, with a small convenient farm yard and buildings, and TWO NEAT COTTAGES adjoining in good substantial repair, in the occupation of Mr. James Hazzard and his under tenants, at the yearly rent of £19 5s., in the Parish of Winslow, adjoining Claydon Lane.
This Property is Freehold and Tithe-free, and the only outgoing is a small land tax of 4s.
The Land is of first-rate quality, and in excellent cultivation, with good fences, well stored with thriving timber, and a plentiful supply of water.
The Premises are in neat repair, and the situation will always command a Tenant at its full value as accommodation land.
To view the Property apply to Mr. James Hazzard, and for further Particulars to D. T. Willis, Esq., Solicitor, or Messrs. Dudley and Son. Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

Probably this is when Charles Mayne bought the property. If so, he replaced the cottages with a new house called Anmount Lodge before 1851. He lived in it himself at first. It's not known where the name "Anmount" came from. Conrad Boisragon, who lived at Anmount Lodge in 1871 presumably as Mayne's tenant, was a retired opera singer and the brother of Theodore Boisragon, who kept a private asylum at Winslow Hall. Conrad had one "lunatic" and nurse living with him. They were presumably left in Winslow after the asylum closed in 1868. Read more.

1890: Will of Charles Mayne, late of Anmount Lodge, Winslow, gentleman, proved at Oxford by Richard Mayne of Tetbury, Gloucs, accountant, and William Noble Clarke of Christchurch, Hants, gentleman, executors. Personal estate £1,761 4s 9d.

1903: Bucks Herald, 18 July
To be let from Michaelmas next. An attractive small country residence known as Anmount Lodge, with Grass Paddock if necessary, containing three Reception Rooms, five Bed Rooms, Bath Room, Kitchen, and usual Domestic Offices. There are capital Flower and Kitchen Gardens and Tennis Lawn. The Outbuildings comprise Wash-house, Loose Box, and Coach-house. Rent £44 (not including Paddock).

1913/14: Centre for Bucks Studies, D/WIG/2/1/59
Valuation of Box Cottage [Colin Hey to Colonel A. Gilbey]

1914: Buckingham Advertiser, 14 March
The Cattle Mart, Winslow (Removed from Box Cottage, Winslow, for convenience of Sale)
Messrs. Geo. Wigley & Sons are instructed by Colin Hey, Esq., to Sell by Auction ... A quantity of household furniture and effects...

1917: Centre for Bucks Studies, D/WIG/2/8/52
Lease agreements for Box Cottage and grass land, Winslow, with letter
Vendor: E. Clarke. Purchaser: A. Fulks. Tenants: M. Rogers (cottage), Mr Crisp (land)

1922: Buckingham Advertiser, 3 June
A grand open-air fete on Whit Monday in Box Cottage Grounds, Winslow (by kind permission of Mr. Fulks). Dancing on lawn 7-11 p.m. [photo below]

1925: Buckingham Advertiser, 3 Oct
At the Bell Hotel on Monday afternoon Messrs. Wigley, Sons and Gambell submitted by auction the small freehold residence, with matured garden, garage and 6½ acres of land known as "Box Cottage." ... Bidding opened at £800 and proceeded steadily from several directions to £1,400, when the property was bought in. Several enquiries were made following the auction, however, and we understand that the whole was sold privately the day after the sale, at a figure considerably in excess of the bought in price.

1926: Buckingham Advertiser, 9 Jan
Wanted, at once, general or house-parlourmaid, or Married Couple... Apply Mrs. Polhill, Box Cottage.


Council houses

The first three pairs of houses can be seen in the photo below. They are now nos.14-24. You can also see the remaining cottages on the south side of Western Lane.

Fancy dress parade in field
Fete in the grounds of Box Cottage, Whit Monday 1922

Winslow RDC approved the building of six more houses in Western Lane at its meeting on 27 July 1927 (now nos.2-12). Initially the houses were known as Burleys Villas rather than being numbered as part of Western Lane. There was a complaint in 1935 about houses not being numbered or numbers being duplicated (Bucks Herald, 20 Sep). The building of two more was approved in June 1946 (nos.7-9 on the site of the demolished cottages), and another three in one block (now 26-30) in the same year. Demoram Close was added immediately after WW2, and Missenden Road (originally the Burleys Field Estate) was built in 1953, turning Western Lane from a dead end into part of a loop leading back into Burleys Road.


See also Tinkers End

Copyright 3 August, 2020