Winslow Nonconformists and Chapels

Winslow has had a strong nonconformist tradition since the 17th century, and local politics in the late 19th century seem largely to have been based on a Church / Chapel divide.


There was also a short-lived Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Monkey Alley to the east of the High Street. It was marked (in the wrong place) on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map, and baptisms of Winslow Methodists are recorded in 1871 and 1875. It is listed in the Returns of Accommodation provided in Wesleyan Methodist Chapels (1875, England South and Wales p.15) as being in the Buckingham circuit and having a capacity of 20, According to A.J. Clear (Buckingham Advertiser, 27 Feb 1932), the building was previously used as a school by Thomas Piper. After the Methodist chapel folded, the building was used by some Strict Baptists until the death of Richard Gibbs (1878), after which it was demolished to build Rose Cottages.


There were individual Quakers in Winslow:

At the Bucks Quarter Sessions in Oct 1690, "The house of Robert Uding of Winslow was registered as a public meeting house". The Baptists already had a meeting-house, so it is possible that this was for Quakers, but there are no further references to it. Buckingham and (briefly) Nash are the nearest places which had regular Quaker meetings.

Roman Catholics

St Alban's Roman Catholic Chapel opened in 1948 in a wing of Winslow Hall, and closed in 2016. Roman Catholic services are now held in Winslow parish church.

Copyright 30 July, 2017