The Angel, London House and 2 High Street

The building which was originally the Angel Inn has now become 2 High Street (Harvey's), 2B High Street (Stratfords Dry Cleaners) and 2A High Street (Delicatessen Estrella). It may also have included 4 High Street originally. No 2 was rebuilt in the early 20th century but 2A and 2B are much older buildings with 17th-century timbers and Georgian fronts. 1-5 Sheep Street were in the Angel Yard. The Angel, or at least the inn sign, is first mentioned in 1578, and belonged to the Lowndes family for most of the 17th century. It was the birthplace of William Lowndes who built Winslow Hall.

By the late 17th century, The Angel had been divided into three. The northern section was a draper's shop and later The Royal Oak; the southern section became a genteel residence and was later known as London House, and the central part remained the Angel Inn until the early 18th century. These are shown below in a painting of c.1860 (from Alan Wigley, A Window on Winslow, p.26) and the Ordnance Survey map of 1880.

Painting showing London House
Map of London House, Angel and Royal Oak

Will of Robert Hassall, yeoman, 1578
"I will that the signe of the Ayngell and the posts to be taken downe and solde at my decease"

Robert Lowndes is listed as an innholder in 1577; perhaps the Angel was the sign of his inn. It was not necessarily on the same site as the later inn.

1610: Schedule of tenants
William Lowndes: the Angell, 94 acres of land
One ancient shop in the market place

1651: Copy of court roll entry (Centre for Bucks Sudies, BAS 376/22 no.2)
[Endorsed] Mr Lowndes’s Entayle & Recoverys 1651
The Court Baron of the Right Honorable Major Generall  Phillipp Skippon there held the Fourteenth day of November in the Yeare of our Lord One Thousand Six Hundred Fifty and One
To this Court came William Lowndes and in Full Court did Surrender into the hands of the Lord of the Mannor by the hands of the Steward a Mesuage com(m)only called the Angell in Winslowe and a Close thereto belonging called Albans Close and Ninety three acres thereto belonging Except Six acres which are now in the Occupation of Thomas Pitkin To the Use as concerning the said Mesuage and Albans Close to the said William Lowndes for Terme of his naturall Life and from and after his decease To the Use of Robert Lowndes Sonne of the said William and the heires of the body of the said William Robert or the body of Elizabeth the wife lawfully begotten and for want of Such Issue to  the Use of Wendover Lowndes and his heires forever And as concerning the Lands called Albans pitts or Albans peece and Four acres at Long meade Leyes and Two acres att Nant Ditch and a peece called Bradford peice and Five Lands over Claydon way and Three Ridges over Grandborough path and Three Ridges att Maracre and an acre at Grandborough brooke To the Use and Behoofe of the said Robert Lowndes and his Heires for ever And as Concerning the residue of the said Lands To the Use and Behoofe of the said Robert Lowndes the Heires of the body of the said Robert on the body of Elizabeth his wife lawfully begotten and for want of such Issue To the Use of Wendover Lowndes and his heires forever And now att this Court came the aforesaid William and Robert and requested to be admitted to the Premisses To whome the Lord by his Stewards granted Seisin thereof To hold to the said William and Robert in Forme aforesaid by the Rodd at the will of the Lord According to the Custome of the Mannor by Rent Harriott and other Services therefore due and of right accustomed and giveth to the Lord for a Fine viijli xiiijs Harriott nothing &c and are admitted Tenants and have done theire fealtye
[Added in another hand, probably William Lowndes']
27° Martii 1654  Recovery suffered by Mr Robert Lowndes of 25 acres of arr(able) pasture & meadow
28° July 1654       Recovery suffered by Mr Robert Lowndes of the Angell & Albans Close conteyning 1 acre & 3 acres of Meadow ground att Blackthorne on the South Side of the Way that leadeth from Winslowe to Claydon int(er) al(ias) terr(as)

1652, 19 Nov
William son of Robert Lowndes baptised at Winslow.

1654: Manor court, 28 July
Robert Lowndes and Elizabeth his wife mortgage "the Angell" and various land to Richard Edmondes of Westminster, gent.

Will of William Lowndes, 1654 (proved 1657)
Leaves to his son Robert "All the moveable goods which are mine at or in the house called the Angell in Winslowe except one table and frame standing in the Chamber over the kitchen, and one little cupboard standing at the end of the great Cupboard in the hall"

1664: Manor court
Conditional surrender (mortgage for £106): Robert Lowndes and Elizabeth his wife
Admission: Andrew Campion
Messuage or tenement in Winslow called the Angell

1666: Manor court, 18 May
Richard Phipps is to make various mortgage payments to Thomas Gressam "at the now dwelling house of Robert Lownds called The Angel in Winslow".

1666: Manor court
Surrender: Andrew Campion, Robert Lowndes and Elizabeth his wife
Admission: William Emerton of Alberry Herts gent
Messuage or tenement, shop, barn, stables, buildings, yard called the Angell
Transfer of mortgage for £134 8s.

1670: Manor court, 7 Oct
Robert Lowndes and Elizabeth his wife surrendered to Edward Palmer of London Winecooper all right and title in all that messuage in Winslow commonly called the Angell Inn, and all workshops, stables, houses, buildings and "sheepe penns".
This seems to be the result of Robert Lowndes' failure to pay off the mortgage.

1671: Manor Court (Records of Bucks 13, p.17)
To this court came Edward Palmer, gent., one of the customary tenants of this manor, and in open court surrendered into the lord's hands, by the hands of the steward aforesaid, all that piece or parcel of land in Winslow aforesaid, lying at the eastern end of the house of John Godwin, next to the stable of the inn called the Angell Inn, containing in length nine feet, and in breadth stretching from one end of the same house to the other, and with all and singular its appurtenances. To the use and behoof of the said John Godwin and of Rabsia his wife, for and during the term of their natural lives and the life of the longer liver of them; and after their decease to the use of the heirs of their bodies, lawfully begotten between them, and for failure of such issue, then to the use of the rightful heirs of the said Rabsia forever ... Yearly rent 1d ... Fine 6d.

Edward Palmer must have sold The Angel in the 1670s to Nathaniel Hazelwood, who used part of it as his shop and let the inn to Thomas Godwin. Stephen Bigg appears to have lived to the east at what became Brook Hall. The photo below shows the three parts of the former Angel c.1910, when they were reunited by Fulks & Sons.

The three sections of the former Angel

1681: Manor court, 11 Oct (Centre for Bucks Studies D175/16)
Mary Adams, Robert Adams, Mathew Adams and George Norris surrendered a barn belonging to the Angell Inne in Winslow adjoining the "Gatehouse", the "Street" on the south side, with sheep-pens and the "Leane to" at the end of the new stable, and as much of the "Yard" belonging to the messuage as now has been bounded and fenced off from the said yard. To the use of Stephen Bigg, who was admitted as tenant. Rent [blank], fine 5s.
Stephen Bigg and Mary his wife then surrendered the barn [described as above] and also all those sheep-pens being before two bays of the building now pertaining to the messuage called the Angell Inne, lately acquired by Stephen from Edward Palmer, with liberty to erect sheep-pens at all seasonable times before the two bays. To the use of Mary, Robert and Mathew Adams, on condition that the surrender will be void if Stephen pays them at Mary's dwelling house at Swanborne £79 12s: 42s each on 13 April and 13 Oct until 13 April 1684, and £72 2s on 13 Oct 1684.
Robert and Mathew Adams sold the same property to Stephen Bigg in 1690.

1688: surrender recorded at 1689 manor court
On 16 May 1688 Nathaniel Haslewood surrendered by Richard Phipps and Thomas Godwynn all that part of the inn called the Angell Inn now in the occupation of the said Thomas, with a close adjoining Crosse lanes containing 1 acre. To the use of John, Nathaniel and Benjamin his sons, equally divided between them. If one dies before the age of 21, to be equally divided between the survivors. Rent [blank], fine 5s. Fealty respited.
[He also surrendered] a messuage being part of the inn called the Angell Inn now in his own possession with barn or stable on the north-east part of the yard containing two storeys [contignaciones] with use of the yard, "Brewhouse", "Kitchen Pump", with free ingress etc. to cross through the gates. To the use of William Haslewood his son, provided that if William dies before the age of 21, the surrender will be to the use of his brothers John, Nathaniel and Benjamin, to be equally divided between them. 1st proclamation made.

1688: Will of Nathaniel Haselwood, woollen draper (proved 1689)
Refers to "my Stock in my Shop and other household goods of mine in the Inne"

1695: Administration and inventory of Thomas Godwin, innholder [tenant of The Angel]
Inventory includes a room called Knaves Hall Chamber.
Before he died Thomas made a deathbed surrender of his property (not The Angel) to his wife Mary Godwin, who was admitted tenant in Oct 1694. Their daughter Mary seems to have married Philip Egerton (see below) in 1707. William Edmonds evidently succeeded him as tenant of The Angel.

1700: Manor Court, 16 April
William Hazzlewood of Kettering sold the messuage in which Thomas Urlwin now lives, with all barns, stables, outhouses, "Hovells" etc., and liberty of ingress etc. in and through the "Gatehouse" belonging to the Angell Inn in Winslowe, and liberty of ingress etc. to and from the spring or well now scituate in the Angell Yard, to take, use and carry away water, with all other privileges and appurtenances belonging to it (and by Nathaniel Hazzlewood William's late father surrendered), "the Brewhouse" belonging to the Angell Inn only excepted. To the use of Thomas Urlwin of Winslowe and his heirs in perpetuity, who was admitted as tenant. Rent [blank], fine 5s.

Thomas Urlwin's shop became 2B High Street, and was separated from The Angel after this; it became the Royal Oak c.1805, and its history is recorded on the Royal Oak page.

1703: Manor Court, 1 Oct
John Hazzlewood on 17 May last surrendered through the steward his undivided third of:

with all houses, outhouses, barns, structures, stables, backyards, etc. To the use of Richard Bigg of Winslowe gent., on condition to be void if John pays him £61 10s on 17 Nov at Richard's domicile in Winslowe. Richard was called and did not come; 1st proclamation made.

1704: special court, 28 July

The Angel was probably divided so that Thomas Foster took the part fronting the Market Square, and Richard Bigg took buildings on the eastern side of the yard which he joined to his house, later Brook Hall. See the 1706 manor court, below, for further details.

1705: Manor Court, 22 Oct
Henry Hughs on 22 June last surrendered by the steward a messuage in the Market Place of Winslow now in his own occupation, the messuage called the Angell Inn north and east, with all ways, watercourses, lights and easements. To the use of Ann Hill of Old Stratford spinster. On condition that it will be void if Henry pays her £82 on 23 Dec next at the dwelling hosue of William Porter in Old Stratford. Ann sought admission. Rent [blank], fine 5s.

1706: Manor Court, 21 June
Henry Hughes on 18 April last surrendered a messuage in the Markett Place of Winslowe now in his own occupation, the messuage called the Angell Inn north and east, the common street south and west. To the use of Thomas Egerton of Adstock, clerk, and Phillip Egerton of Winslowe, Woolen Draper. Provided that if Thomas and Phillip do not pay to Ann Hill of Old Stratford spinster £80 on 24 June next, and £70 on 29 Sep next to Nicholas Merwin of Winslow gent., and £100 to Nicholas Merwin on 25 March next, the surrender will be void.
Ann Hill spinster died since the last court, seised of a messuage [as above]. John Hill, brother and heir of Henry Hill her father, is her nearest heir ... Afterwards Thomas Egerton clerk and Phillip Egerton and John Hill surrendered the messuage to the use of Phillip Egerton provided that if he does not pay Nicholas Merwin [as above], the surrender will be to the use of Henry Hughes.

1707: Manor Court, 15 Oct
Philip Egerton surrendered a messuage in The Markett place of Winslow now in his own occupation, the messuage called The Angell Inn north and east. To the use of Philip and Mary his wife for their lives; after their decease to the heirs of their bodies, or for want of such to Philip's rightful heirs. Rent 9d, fine 5s.

Philip Egerton had married Mary Godwyn of The Angel (d.1709). Henry Hughes' messuage later became London House; see further below. The plan below shows a likely layout in 1706..

Plan of the Angel and surroundings

1706: Manor Court, 21 June
Click here for the full text; summarised below
Richard Bigg and Thomas Foster surrendered to Thomas and Ann Urlwin:

Richard Bigg and Thomas Foster surrendered to Thomas Foster:

Richard Bigg and Thomas Foster surrendered to Richard Bigg:

Thomas Foster, Richard Bigg and Thomas Urlwin each surrendered 1/3 (previously undivided) of the Gateway and part of the yard, subject to the other liberties and privileges.  1/3 each to Thomas Foster, Richard Bigg and Thomas Urlwin

1706: Manor Court, 21 Oct (this and most of the following from 1824 abstract of title, Centre for Bucks Studies D/X 1036/2/4)
Mortgage by Thomas Foster to George Rowlands (his brother-in-law; see will of Elizabeth Foster, 1736) of a messuage called the Angel Inn and a cottage belonging to it, with associated buildings etc. Full text of the surrender, dated 27 June, in the 1706 manor court.

1724: Manor Court
John Adams of Lutterworth, Leics, Woollen draper, out of court on 20 April last surrendered a messuage in Winslowe now in the occupation of Henry Brind, his subtenants or assigns, with yards, gardens, stables, outhouses etc. And also an undivided third of a piece of ground called The Gateway belonging to the tenement lately called The Angell Inn. And (a third) of a piece of ground called The Yard lately belonging to the same inn. John Adams, Richard Bigg and Thomas Foster hold the ground jointly. To the use of Barbara Gataker of Swanbourne widow, who sought to be admitted. Rent [blank], fine 5s.

Thomas Foster, tallow-chandler, d.1746, was the nephew of George Rowlands (of Aylesbury) the owner. This insurance policy refers to the former Angel (Sun Insurance, 11936/18/507/35323, repeated in 1726 (11936/23/384/40770) when he is Thomas Foster jun.).

15 April 1725    Thomas Foster of Winslow, tallow chandler
For his dwelling house with one warehouse, workhouse and kitchen in the yard adjoining, one tobacco house and stable in the common yard near the dwelling house and his goods and merchandise inclosed in the same
£320
The dwelling house only
130
One warehouse workhouse and kitchen
50
One tobacco house and stable in the yard
300
His goods in the dwelling house
300
The goods in the warehouse workhouse and kitchen
100
The goods in the tobacco house and stable
100
 
____
 
£1000

1729: Manor Court, 20 Oct
Admission of Thomas Harding Rowland, clerk, son and heir of George Rowland, surgeon, deceased, to premises as described in 1706.

1739: Will of Richard Bigg, gentleman (proved 1740)
Leaves his dwelling-house and "the Barn Stable Yard Garden and Backside now used with the same which formerly belonged to the Angell Inn and was purchased by me of Mr Hazlewood" to his wife Elizabeth, then his son Robert.

1748: Manor Court, 26-27 Oct
Thomas Harding Rowland died seised of the premises as described in 1706, in the occupation of Sarah Foster, widow. George Rowland, an infant, his son and heir, was admitted to the premises. Ann Mayor was appointed guardian.

1757: Oxford Journal, 19 March
Advert: British Blue for washing and bleaching linens available from (inter alios) Mrs. Sarah Foster, Winslow.

1760: London House deeds refer to a messuage now in the occupation of George Foster on the north and east sides

1781: Land Tax
Owners: Minshull, Wm & Williams, David, esq.
Occupiers: Thomas King / empty
Valuation: 7s 9¼d

1795: Land Tax
Owners: Williams, Mrs & Minshull
Occupiers: Wm Mayne & c.
Valuation: 8s 5d

1795: Manor Court, 5 May
Surrender by William Minshull of Aston Clinton and Martha his wife, and Dame Rebecca Williams of Aston Clinton, widow, sisters of George Rowland, deceased. To the use of Benjamin Dudley, plumber and glazier : a messuage wherein Thomas Forster heretofore dwelt and now or late in the occupation of William Mayne formerly called the Angel Inn

1796: Winslow Manor Court, 28-29 Oct (Centre for Bucks Studies, D/X 1036/2/1)
Admission of Benjamin Dudley, plumber, on surrender of William Munshull Esq. and his wife and Lady Williams, to a messuage in Winslow wherein Thomas Forster heretofore dwelt and now or late in the occupation of William Mayne or his tenants, formerly called the Angel Inn. William Mayne could be the saddler and collar-maker mentioned in 1763.

1798: Benjamin Dudley, glazier, listed in Directory and Posse Comitatus

1805: Land Tax
Owner: Dudley, Benjamin, glazier
Occupier: self
Valuation: 8s 5d

Northampton Mercury 23 March 1822

To Plumbers, Glaziers, and Painters.
To be SOLD by AUCTION,
By SAMUEL DUDLEY,

On Friday the 5th Day of April, 1822, at the Bell Inn, Winslow, between the Hours of Four and Six in the Afternoon, subject to such Conditions as will then and there be produced, unless an Offer shall be made previously by private Contract.

ALL that neat sashed front DWELLING HOUSE and PREMISES, situated in the HIGH STREET, WINSLOW, comprising a good front sitting Room and Workshop, excellent back Parlour, with four comfortable sleeping Rooms and Attics, convenient Kitchen, and dry Cellarage, with a small Yard, and Pump of excellent Water.  Also, a large Shop detached for casting Lead, and carrying on various other Branches of the Business, now in the Occupation of Mr. Benjamin Dudley, the Proprietor, who is retiring from the same.

Any Person wishing to engage in the Trade, will find this an eligible Opportunity, having been carried on by the Proprietor, under a respectable Connection, upwards of 40 Years.

The Premises are in good Repair, and Possession may be had on the 24th Day of June next.-  The Stock and working Tools to be taken at a fair Valuation.

For a View of the Premises, apply thereon;  and for further Particulars, to the AUCTIONEER, Winslow.

George King billhead1824: Winslow Manor Court, 25 Oct 1824 (Centre for Bucks Studies, D/X 1036/2/3)
Surrender by Benjamin Dudley, late of Winslow, plumber and glazier and now of Upper Mary le Bone Street, Fitzroy Square, Middlesex, gent., who on 6 Feb 1824 sold for £380 to Joseph King of Winslow, whitesmith, the premises formerly called The Angel, except one cottage in Sheep Street adjoining the garden of the messuage for many years used as an outhouse and afterwards occupied by James Whitehall, since by James Fletcher and now by Richard Mayne, with joint use of the passage leading out of Sheep Street.

1824: King's grocers established (see right)

1832: Kelly's Directory
George King, Grocer & Tea Dealer, Market Square

1835: Northampton Mercury, 9 May
IRONMONGERS, BRAZIERS, & WHITESMITHS. TO  BE  LET,
AN old-established SHOP and PREMISES, in the above Business, situate in the centre of the MARKET TOWN of WINSLOW, Bucks, with a good front shop, warehouses, and back work shop.
The business has been carried on by the Proprietor for a number of years, and presents a good opportunity to any person desirous of commencing the above trade.
For particulars, apply (if by letter, post paid;) to Mr. Joseph King, the Proprietor, who is retiring;  or to Messrs. Dudley and Son, Auctioneers, Winslow.
It is not clear if these premises were part of The Angel.

1840: Will of Joseph King, brazier and whitesmith (made in 1836) (National Archives PROB 11/1924/225)
Leaves to his son George King: "All that my Copyhold Messuage or Tenement situate standing and being in Winslow aforesaid now in his occupation which I sometime since purchased of Benjamin Dudley".

1841: Manor Court, 1 Nov (Centre for Bucks Studies, D/X 1036/2/6 and D82/3)
Joseph King late of Winslow Brazier whilst he lived held a Messuage in the Market Place of Winslow formerly called the Angel Inn long since in the occupation of Benjamin Dudley and now of George King son of Joseph (to which Joseph was admitted Tenant at a court on 25 Oct 1824 on the Surrender of Benjamin Dudley). In his will he devised it unto his son George King. Now George King desires to be admitted Tenant. Rent 5d, fine 5s.

1841 Census: George King, 39, grocer, and family

1842: Manor Court, 6 April & 31 Oct (Centre for Bucks Studies, D/X 1036/2/7-8, D82/5)
Surrender by George King of Winslow, grocer and Elizabeth his wife for £60 on 6 April to James Hawley:
A barn situated near the Market Place, for many years used as an outhouse to the messuage formerly called the Angel Inn, heretofore in the occupation of Thomas Foster, since of William Mayne, afterwards Benjamin Dudley and now George King, with the site on which the barn stands and use of a passage leading from Sheep Street, to which George King was admitted at a court on 1 Nov 1841 as devisee in the will of Joseph King.
Surrender by James Hawley, grocer, and Elizabeth Ann his wife to George King, grocer, and Elizabeth his wife for £105 on 31 Oct to George King:
A barn situated near the Market Place, for many years used as an outhouse to the messuage formerly called the Angel Inn, heretofore in the occupation of Thomas Foster, since of William Mayne, afterwards Benjamin Dudley and now George King, now converted into two cottages in the several occupations of William Ingram the younger and William Sharp, with a piece of ground and use of a passage leading from Sheep Street.
Presumably the two cottages were what is now 1A & 2 Sheep Street.

1851 Census
Market Square

George King Head mar 49 Grocer b. Winslow
Elizabeth do Wife mar 53   do
George do Son unm 23 Grocer's son do
Rosetta do Dau unm 17 Grocer's daughter do
William Lansey Grandson   3   b. Bristol
Matilda Hopkins Servant unm 16 House Servant b. Hoggeston

1861 Census
Market Square

George King Head mar 59 Grocer b. Winslow
Elizabeth do Wife mar 64 Grocer's wife do
Ann Spooner Servant unm 14 House Servant do

1871 Census
Market Square

George King Head widower 69 Grocer b. Winslow
Emma Cassell - unm 24 General servant, domestic b. Swanbourne

1881 Census
Market Square

George King Head widower 79 Grocer b. Winslow
Louisa E. Garner Servant unm 19 General servant, domestic b. North Marston

1891 Census
Market Square

George King Head m 63 Tea & Wine Dealer b. Winslow
Amelia F. do Wife m 53   b. Chelsea
Charles A. do Son s 18 Grocers Assistant b. Battersea
Beatrice F. do Dau s 16 Scholar do
Frank E. do Son   12 do do
Amelia Gordon Mother in law Wid 77 Visitor b. Bloomsbury
Ellen Kent Servant s 14 General Domestic Servant b. Whitchurch

1896
Conveyance by Charles Albert King (son of George) to Albert Osborn Fulks for £550: house, shop and two cottages.


London House

This property is now Harvey's Cafe (2 High Street) and 1 Sheep Street. It first appears as a separate messuage in the ownership of Henry Hughes, c.1705 (see above). It was the residence of Thomas Prentice, surgeon, in the 1760s-70s and seems to have become a shop after his widow's death. It was probably named London House by the Fulks family. It was rebuilt c.1910. Some notes by Ed Grimsdale are included below.

1775 (proved 1780): Will of Thomas Prentice, surgeon
Leaves all his property in Winslow to his daughter Mary Ann Prentice.

1780: Manor Court
Admission of Ann Prentice under the will of her father Thomas Prentice of Winslow surgeon & apothecary to the messuage late in his occupation and a copyhold close of pasture called Peter Lowndes Close. 

1781 & 1786: Land Tax
Sarah Prentice, widow (owner & occupier): 11s 1d

1787: Manor Court
Mary Ann Prentice deceased, 1st proclamation.

1789: Manor Court
Admission of Thomas Eagles Prentice (guardian his mother Sarah Prentice) under will of his father Thomas: moiety of his messuage in Winslow and of Peter Lowndes Close.  Henrietta Prentice (guardian her mother Sarah) admitted to other moiety.

1795: Land Tax        
Widow Prentice (owner & occupier): 11s 1d

1796: Manor Court
Surrender: Thomas Eagles Prentice.  Admission: Henrietta wife of John Tookey of Winslow surgeon his sister.  Messuage now in occupation of Sarah Prentice widow, and Peter Lowndes Close.

1805: Land Tax
John Tookey (owner), late Thos. Costor (occupier): 8s 9d

1824: Kelly's Directory
Grant, William, draper, High Street

1830: Pigot's Directory (also 1832: Kelly's Directory)
Grant, William, linen & woollen draper, Market Square

1831: Berkshire Chronicle, 12 Nov
B. Cooper, a private in the Bucks Militia, and two others were charged with using a stolen banknote to buy hats from Mr I. Morgan, draper, of Winslow.

1833: Perry's Bankrupt Gazette, 20 April
Partnerships dissolved: Grant, William, and James Morgan, of Winslow, Bucks, linen drapers, 8th March

1833: Northampton Mercury, 7 Sep

TO DRAPERS & GROCERS,
TO BE LET, With immediate Possession,
DESIRABLE PREMISES, well situated in a  Market Town, 48 miles from London, Coaches passing daily, with other advantages, which may be known by letter, addressed (post-paid) to B. C. George Inn, Winslow.
Winslow, Aug. 31st, 1833.

1834: Bucks Herald, 26 April
AN OLD ESTABLISHED CONCERN IN THE LINEN AND WOOLLEN DRAPERY BUSINESS, WINSLOW, BUCKS.
To be Sold by auction, by Dudley & Son, On WEDNESDAY, the 14th of May, 1834. AT THE GEORGE INN, WINSLOW,
At Six o'clock (unless previously disposed of by Private Contract) subject to such conditions as will be then and there produced.
ALL that neat SASHED-FRONT DWELLING HOUSE and premises situated in the Market Square, WINSLOW, comprising a large SHOP in Extensive Trade, possessing a spacious DOUBLE FRONTAGE, with dining room, parlour, sitting room, kitchen, dry cellerage, comfortable bedrooms, convenient attics, pump of excellent water, and small yard, forming together a very comfortable home, in the occupation of Mr. James Morgan.
Any person in want of such a situation will find this a desirable one; as it offers a good investment, being in a commanding situation for business, in good repair, and occupied by a most respectable Tenant.
The Premises are Copyhold of Inheritance, held of the Manor of Winslow, nearly equal in value to Freehold, the Fines being certain and very Low.
Possession may be had at Lady Day next.
For a view apply to Mr. MORGAN, the Tenant; and for further particulars to Mr. J.W. COWLEY, Solicitor, Buckingham, or at his office at Winslow on any Thursday; or the Auctioneers, Winslow.

1834: Bucks Herald, 17 May
Winslow, Bucks.
JAMES MORGAN, LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPER, &c. &c., embraces the earliest opportunity of informing his Friends and the Public, that it was not his Business to be Sold, (as advertised in this paper for the last three weeks,) but the Premises in which he resides, and that he has purchased the same, where he intends carrying on the above business as usual; and having a good stock of well bought gooods [sic], he earnestly solicits a continuance of those favours already conferred on him, for which he desires to return his grateful acknowledgments, and trusts, that by proper attention to the commands of his friends, to secure a renewal of the same.
Winslow, 15th May, 1834.

1835: Land Tax (exonerated)
Mrs Tookey (owner), Messrs Grant & Morgan (occupiers): house, 8s 9d

1835: Manor Court, 26 Oct
James Morgan of Winslow Draper and Mary his wife on 28 Oct last surrendered in consideration of £200 paid by Samuel Yeates of Winslow Gentleman All those two undivided Moieties in all that Messuage situate in the Market Square of Winslow heretofore in the occupation of Thomas Prentice deceased afterwards of Sarah Prentice his Widow and now of James Morgan. To which James Morgan was admitted at a court on 27 Oct 1834 on the surrender of Henrietta Tookey Widow and Henrietta Tookey Spinster. To the use of Samuel Yeates, provided that if James Morgan pays him £200 with 5% interest on 28 April next, this surrender to be void.

1839: London Dispatch, 21 April
Agents for Raper's Patent Waterproof: James Morgan, Winslow

1841 Census: James Morgan, 43, draper, and family

1844: Pigot's Directory
Morgan, George [sic], linen & woollen draper, Market Square

1851 Census
Market Square

James Morgan Head mar 52 Draper b. Newport Pagnell
Mary do Wife mar 53   b. St Neots
Mary Ann do Dau unm 27 Assistance fo family b. Hanslope
Jane do Dau unm 12 Scholar b. Winslow
William Earle Servant unm 20 Assistant Draper b. Boldeston, Suffolk
Caroline Kirby Servant unm 19 House Servant b. Stone, Bucks

1857: Death of James Morgan, 28 Oct, aged 59.

Will of James Morgan of Winslow, draper, proved at the Principal Registry by the oaths of John Morgan of Winslow Draper the son; Mary Ann Morgan of the same place Spinster the Daughter and William Wake James of Newport Pagnell in the said County Wharfinger's Clerk the Executors. Effects under £450. It makes no mention of any property. Probably James Morgan had already transferred it to his wife, who called herself a house proprietor in 1861, and son, who only got half as much as his sisters under the will. John Morgan had become a bookseller in Sutton, Surrey, by 1861; he and his wife then had living with them his nephew Andrew Morgan aged 7, who must have been the son of one of his unmarried sisters.

1857: Oxford Journal, 21 Nov 1857
An evergreen arch was erected between Mr. Morgan's corner and the Bell, with the motto - "Victoria, Queen of the Isles". [in honour of the coming of age of Mr Selby-Lowndes jr]

Fulks & Sons

c.1860 Mr Matthew Fulks, who had been born at Park Farm, Wigginton arrived in Winslow from Tring and established a drapery business. Matthew placed a manager in his previous business in Tring who was later replaced by one of Mathew’s sons, Ernest Kelsall Fulks.

1860: Bucks Herald, 10 March: Marriages
On the 29th ult., at Hemel Hempstead, Herts, Mr. Matthew Fulks, draper, Winslow, to Elizabeth Orchard, of the former place.

1861 Census
Market Square (2 households)

Matthew Fulks Head mar 24 Linen Draper b. Tring
Elizabeth do Wife mar 21   b. Hemel Hempstead
William O. do Son   2 mo   b. Winslow
Ann Wilmer Serv unm 15   do
Mary Morgan Head widow 63 House Proprietor b. St Neots
Mary A. do Dau unm 36 Draper's Assistant b. Hanslope

Mary Ann Morgan married James Hall, and she and her mother lived with him at Lime Cottage, High Street. Mary Morgan died on 17 Sep 1887 aged 90: see her will, made while she was still living at the shop.

1862: Bucks Herald birth announcement
FULKS on the 17th (October), the wife of Mr Matthew Fulks, draper, of a daughter.

1864: Kelly's Directory
Fulks, Matthew, linen draper, silk mercer, hosier, haberdasher & c. Market square

1868: Matthew Fulks, late of Winslow sued John Walton in the County Court over a small debt.

1869: Manor Court
Admission of John Middleton Smith and Vernon Smith as devisees of John Smith, deceased.
Vernon Smith's half transferred to John Middleton Smith. J.M. Smith later devised it to his nephew Thomas Vernon Smith.
The will of John Smith of Winslow, journeyman grocer, who died at Winslow on 20 April 1869 was proved at Oxford on 5 June by his sons and executors John Middleton Smith of Winslow, draper and Vernon Smith of Maids Moreton, carpenter. Effects under £1,000.

In 1861 John Middleton Smith was apprenticed to Isaac Vernon, draper, of Lutterworth. In 1881 he was a retired draper living at Mursley. He died 24 Aug 1893. Probate of will at Oxford to Thomas Vernon Smith, iron merchant's clerk. Effects £17 14s 10d.

1869: Kelly's Directory
Fulks & Braggins, linen drapers, Market square

1871 Census
Market Square

Ezra Braggins Head Wid 26 Draper b. Steeple Claydon
Hannah Braggins Mother W 55 Housekeeper do
George Smith - unm 23 Draper's Assistant b. Bolton, Lancs
John Clark - do 17 do b. Bicester
Charles King - do 18 Draper's Apprentice b. Great Horwood
Eliza Thorpe - do 18 General servant Domestic b. Steeple Claydon

1876: Directory
E. & W. Braggins, drapers & silk mercers, London House, The Square

1877: Kelly's Directory (also 1883 directory)
Tite, George, draper, clothier & milliner, Market place

1878: Mrs Matthew Fulks dies aged 38 years at the family farm near Hemel Hempstead in September.

1881 Census
Market Square

George O. Tite Head married 31 Draper, employs 2 assistants and 1 apprentice b. High Holborn
Esther M. do Wife married 29   b. Flaunden, Bucks [sic]
Anne E. Tite Dau   3   b. Winslow
Osborn F. do Son   1   b. Winslow
Hannah M. Yardley Ass. unm 30 Dressmaker b. Coventry
Annie P...ser do do 21 Milliner b. Northampton
David E. Osborne App.   17 Apprentice to Draper b. Camberwell
Emma Thorp Servant unm 16 Nursemaid b. Steeple Claydon
Fanny L. Goodger do do 14 Servant, domestic b. Winslow

1884: Mr E. Fulks of Winslow sang temperance songs at Mursley. Mr M. Fulks (Winslow) gave an address to Mursley Baptist Sunday School Anniversary.

1887: Kelly's Directory
Fulks, Matthew, draper, Market square

1880s: A.O. Fulks is a member of Baptist Tabernacle and plays its organ. He can play violin, as well. By 1886, Matthew Fulks has become a deacon in Winslow and has addressed the congregation.

1891 Census
Market Square

Matthew Fulks Head m 54 Draper (master) b. Wigginton, Tring
Elizabeth do Wife m 52   b. Kendal, Westm.
Jane Bell Servant s 70 General Domestic Servant do
Earnest [sic] H.F. Fulks Son s 26 Draper (Master) b. Winslow
Arthur do do s 21 Assistant Draper b. Hemel Hempstead
Florence G. do Dau s 18 do b. Hemel Hempstead
Elizabeth Bell Niece s 17 do b. Kendal, Westm.
George C. West Boarder s 17 Drapers apprentice -
Fanny L. Goodger do do 14 Servant, domestic b. Winslow

1892: Northampton Mercury, 6 May
We are requested to state that the horse and cart which knocked the little lad Brazier down was not "Messrs Fulks and Sons", but a pony and cart driven by one of their employees on an outing.

Deacon Matthew Fulks was having difficulties in persuading the new Pastor of the Winslow Baptist Tabernacle, Mr Byard, to preach to his congregation. He failed to do so for over three months and a “Recognition of Mr Byard Meeting” was called to pressurise him. Mr. E.K. Fulks, draper of Tring, was amongst the Baptists from far and wide who attended the gathering.

1890s: A.O. (Arthur) Fulks was a player member and official of Winslow Cricket Club.

Royal Oak and Fulks & Sons

1895: Agreement, 14 March (Centre for Bucks Studies D/X 1036/4/1)
Albert Osborne Fulks and Arthur James Fulks, drapers, who recently purchased their business, premises and stock from Matthew Fulks, gent., of Tring, agreed to pay 1.25% interest on £800 which they still owed him.

1897: Buckingham Advertiser, 8 May

Buckingham Advertiser advert

1898, 14 Jan
Conveyance of London House from Thomas Vernon Smith to A.O. Fulks for £425.

After 1900, Albert Fulks built a portfolio of land and property in and around Winslow. Some of the land was in North Marston, the birthplace of his wife Sarah, née Chapman.

1901 Census
Market Square, London House

Albert O. Fulks Head m 34 Draper b. Hemel Hempstead
Sarah R. do Wife m 34   b. North Marston
Arthur J. do Brother s 31 Draper (partner) b. Hemel Hempstead
Doris E. do Daughter s 1   b. Winslow
Nellie Cook Boarder s 22 Drapers assistant b. Linslade
Nellie Line Servant s 17 General servant b. Drayton Parslow

The census includes two houses in "Royal Oak Yard".

1903: Mr Matthew Fulks died in Tring on Good Friday.

1906: Adverts show that Fulks & Sons, Winslow sold the “famous Humber” bike from 6 guineas. Fulks was extending its range of goods and being helped by “branding”. Firms were establishing their names and brands through advertising across many local papers using graphics and high quality copy. The details of local outlets, such as Fulks and Sons would be appended to these adverts, as appropriate to the region covered by the newspaper.

1908: Closure of the Royal Oak. Premises acquired by Fulks & Sons. The drawing below shows how Fulks & Sons looked after taking over the Royal Oak and before the rebuilding. The parts of The Angel were reunited for the first time since the 17th century.

Fulks' advert with drawing of shops

1911 Census
Market Square, 10 rooms

Albert Osborn Fulks Head m 44 Draper & c b. Hemel Hempstead
Sarah Rebecca Fulks Wife m 40 2 children alive, 1 died b. North Marston
Doris Evelina Fulks Daughter   11 School b. Winslow
Robert Oscar Fulks Son   5   b. Winslow
Arthur James Fulks Brother s 42 Draper (partner in business) b. Hemel Hempstead
Phoebe C. Clarke Servant s 20   b. Granborough

1913: Fulks and Sons, Market Place, Winslow now sold Raleigh “all steel” bikes according to advertisements in the Bucks Herald.

1916: Bucks Herald, 8 Jan
A storm in January did considerable damage across Winslow including “a sign on the front of Messrs Fulks & Sons’ drapery was blown down, bringing with it part of the parapet.”

1920: A.O.Fulks was a fine player of several sports. In 1920, he captained  the Winslow bowls team that captured the bowls championship of Bucks.

1920s: A.O. Fulks served on  many charity committees in Winslow.

1925: Dead of dissolution of partnership, 24 Sep (Centre for Bucks Studies D/X 1036/4/3/1-4)
A.O. Fulks bought out his brother A.J. Fulks

1926: Fulks & Son continued to  Raleigh bikes & now offered a range of Sturmey Archer gears according to regular advertisements in the Bucks Herald.

At A.O. Fulks’ death on 1 Jan 1935, Messrs Fulks and Sons’ drapery business was described as the oldest-established and largest drapers and furniture dealers in Winslow. A.O. left one son, Robert and a daughter Doris (Mrs B. Illing of Station Road, Winslow) and his widow, Sarah, née Chapman.

Arthur J. Fulks, the brother of Albert Osborn Fulks, a retired Master Draper died at Brook Hall Cottage, Winslow on 16 May 1952. The photo below shows the rebuilt shop and adjacent house in the 1960s. Robert Oscar Fulks died on 15 February 1964, after which the business was sold and the premises were again divided into three.

Fulks & Son in the 1960s

Copyright 15 November, 2016