High Street north (west side): Sear's and Coxill's

The area west of the High Street which is now occupied by the former Post Office, the Telephone Exchange and the Fire Station (north of the Arundel House site) consists of three separate plots which for most of the 19th century were the Boys' School, Sear's and Coxill's.

The three plots shown on three different maps
The three plots shown in 1878, 1898 and 1925 - the school and Coxill's had both been demolished by 1925. The unbuilt area on the left was Jennings Close (now St Albans Road). Click on the image for a larger version.

Boys' School

On 3 Aug 1841 John Morecraft of Winslow, butcher, and Mary his wife conveyed for £21 to Rev. William Walkinshaw McCreight (vicar), Samuel Greaves Dudley (churchwarden), Grant King, John Bull and James Hazzard (overseers of the poor) a piece of ground containing 14 poles being part of Crockett's Close, bounded on the east by the turnpile road, on the south by premises now or late of William French, on the west and north by the remaining part of the close. To be used as the site for a school for poor persons, united to the National Society, to be managed by subscribers and contributors.

The land to the north consisting of another 16 poles was shortly afterwards sold to the Winslow Gas Company as the site for the new gasworks. Crockett's Close was to the north of Jennings Close (see below).

John Morecraft inherited in 1837 from his aunt Ann Morecraft Fountain (see her will): "my copyhold close of pasture ground situate and being in Winslow aforesaid called Crocketts Close". See below; the school and gasworks must have been built on the garden of the house which Ann and her mother inherited in 1790.

The Boys' School functioned until 1901 when it was replaced by the new school in Sheep Street.

1903: Centre for Bucks Studies, D/WIG/2/7/1904/12
Draft report & valuation by Geo Wigley, 29 Sep 1903
Brick building with slate roof, condemned. Good building site.  Adjoining owners Mr William Wise (should be an acquisition to him) and Mr Sear.  Value £100. Reserve £150

1904: sale by Wigleys, 10 May
Lot 1: The Brick & Slated Freehold Property known as The Boys’ National School with Coalhouse &c. adjoining
Together with the Piece of Land formerly used as a Playground
The whole comprising an area of about 390 square yards, and forming a very valuable BUILDING SITE With a frontage of about 69 feet to the High Street.
This Property occupies a commanding position, and situate as it is in the centre of the Town, with extensive frontage to the Main Street, affords a unique opportunity for the erection of business or other premises.

1904: Leighton Buzzard Observer, 17 May
  By direction of the Charity Commissioners the building which for about sixty years served as the Winslow Schools, was put up for sale on Tuesday evening and realised £175.  Practically speaking there is not much of it beside the site, and the price was considered a very fair one.  The purchaser was Mr. W. Wise, whose property it adjoins. 

1911: Buckingham Advertiser, 24 June: Winslow RDC
Mr Wise produced plans of a new Post Office ... and the same were passed.

1911: Buckingham Advertiser, 8 July
The old National School in the High Street, which was built in 1845, is being pulled down to make room for the new Post Office.

The Post Office opened in 1912 and closed in 1990, since when it has been used as part of the Royal Mail Sorting Office.

High Street looking north
This postcard is postmarked 1915 but the photo must be from before 1911, as the large tree on the left marks the Boys' School site where the new Post Office was built.
The premises of Edward Lane Sear the coachbuilder are on the far left.


Plans of the site in 1878 and 1978
The plans above show Sear's (red) and Coxill's (blue) on the 1880 OS map on the left, and the same site in 1978 on the right

1767: Enclosure Award
Robert Crockett already held the garden belonging to his dwelling house, and was awarded 0a 1r 32p north of it (see above).

1770: manor court
Robert Crockett late of Winslow Stone Mason on 2 Aug last surrendered all messuages etc. to uses of his last will.  He held by rent of [blank] a messuage in Winslow now in the occupation of William Crockett; 2 little pieces of Ground known as the Pightle adjoining.  He died, having made will dated 2 Aug 1770, in which he devised them to his wife Mary and son William Crockett, who desired to be admitted.

1773: manor court
Robert Crockett died holding by rent of 9d: a messuage in Winslow in the occupation of Mary Crockett widow + 2 little pieces of ground adjoining known as the Pightle.  By his will dated 2 Aug 1770 he gave them to his wife Mary and son William Crockett.  They were admitted at court on 31 Oct – 1 Nov 1770.  William is since dead, Mary surviving.  [The Pightle was sold separately]

1786: Land Tax
Mary Crockett owner; herself & Robert Eden occupiers          4s 6¾d

1790: manor court
Mary Crockett late of Winslow widow held a messuage wherein she dwelt with garden, backside, shop, outhouses; died some time since.  By will dated 12 Feb 1787 she devised it to her sister Ann wife of Thomas Morecraft butcher and her niece Ann Morecraft.  Ann Morecraft the aunt [sic] and Ann Morecraft the niece desire to be admitted. 

1795 & 1805: Land Tax
Thomas Morecraft owner; Elizabeth Bradbury occupier         4s 0¾d

1807: manor court
Surrender: Ann Morecraft of Winslow spinster
Admission: William Tomkins of Winslow wheelwright
Messuage with yard wherein Mary Crockett heretofore dwelt, late in the occupation of Elizabeth Bradley, now of William Tomkins, with so much of the Garden as is now inclosed by a fence from a certain Tree standing opposite the Workhouse in Winslow aforesaid shooting in a straight line to the upper part of the Gateway leading into a close called Jenning’s Close.  AM admitted with Ann Morecraft widow 29 Oct 1790 as devisee of Mary Crocket widow.  Rent 6d, fine 5s.
William Tomkins and Jane his wife then mortgaged it to Anthony Stopp of Water Stratford yeoman for £80. On 4 Feb 1812 there was a new mortgage to Elizabeth Cox of Winslow spinster for £80.

1814: Land Tax
William Tompkins owner & occupier                       4s 0¾d

1814: Northampton Mercury, 2 April

To be S O L D   by   A U C T I O N, By SAMUEL DUDLEY, On Wednesday the 13th Day of April, 1814, on the Premises at WINSLOW, Bucks,
THE STOCK in TRADE and other EFFECTS, of Mr. WM. TOMPKINS, Wheelwright, who is leaving the Town;  comprising about 40 stout seasoned Hubs, 12 Dozen Fellies, five Dozen narrow Ditto, eight Dozen Spokes, Quantity of broad and narrow Ash Plank, Oak, Elm, and Ash Boards, four Pair of Cart Sides, Six-inch-wheel Cart, new, Chaise Cart, Ditto, Anvil and Lathe, two Benches and Timber Chain, Boxing Engine and Knives, four Tire Dogs, one Felly Ditto, 20-Gallon Copper and Grate, Ironing Stove, Cupboard, and numerous other Articles.
Immediately after the above, at the BELL INN, WINSLOW, aforesaid,
A COPYHOLD MESSUAGE or TENEMENT, with Garden, Yard, Wheelwrights, Shop, and Outbuildings, in complete Repair.
The above Premises are now in the full Trade of a Wheelwright, and will be found a desirable Situation.- Immediate Possession may be had. The Sale will commence with the Stock at Eleven o‘Clock precisely.

1815: manor court
John Cox of Winslow, executor of Elizabeth Cox spinster on 25 March acknowledged to have received from William Tomkins of Winslow wheelwright all principal & interest due on a conditional surrender of 4 Feb 1812.
William Tomkins late of Winslow now of Loosley Row, Princes Risborough wheelwright & Jane his wife on 25 March 1815 made a conditional surrender to William French of Buckingham ironmonger for £125. The messuage was now in the occupation of Robert Scott.

1818: manor court
Surrender: William Tomkins now of Loosley Row in the parish of Princes Risborough wheelwright & Jane his wife on 30 Jan last
Consideration: £125 due from him to William French of Buckingham ironmonger by conditional surrender of 25 March 1815
Admission: William French
Messuage with yard [described as in 1807] wherein now dwells Robert Scott. Rent 6d, fine 5s.

1823: Land Tax
William French owner, George Western occupier      4s 0¾d

1832: Land Tax
William French owner, Francis Warner occupier: house & garden      4s 0¾d

Edward Sear married Ann Fox at Dunstable in 1835.

Church rates
1838-1839/40  John Field
1840/1-1863 Edward Sear

1841: manor court
Surrender: William French of Buckingham Ironmonger and Mary his Wife
Admission: Edward Sear of Winslow Coachmaker
Consideration: £160
All that Messuage with the Yard thereto belonging situate in Winslow late in the Occupation of Robert Scott and now of Edward Sear Together with so much of the Garden as is now enclosed by a Fence from a certain tree now or late standing opposite the late Workhouse and shooting in a straight line to the Upper Gateway leading into a Close called Jenning’s Close, and on part of which Close a National School has been lately built.  Rent 6d, fine 5s.
On 2 Nov 1841 Edward Sear and Ann his wife mortgaged it to William French for £160, described as above "with a workshop lately erected by Edward Sear".
There was another mortgage on 2 July1846 to Gabriel Jones of Great Horwood yeoman for £160.
On 3 April 1860 they mortgaged it to George Belgrove of Swanbourne farmer for £160, repaid in 1867.
On 17 April 1867 they mortgaged it to Samuel Cole of Granborough farmer for £120.

1841: Census
Edward Sear coach builder, wife Ann, sons William and John (later an artist in Ramsgate: read more), apprentice Charles Edmonds aged 17

1851 Census: Buckingham Road

Edward Lane Sear head married 38 Coach builder b. Bletchley
Ann Sear wife married 39 Coach builder's wife b. Dunstable
William Sear son   14 Apprentice b. Aylesbury
Peter Sear son   11 Scholar b. Winslow
James Sear son   9 Scholar b. Winslow
Elizabeth Sear dau   7 Scholar b. Winslow
Caroline Sear dau   5   b. Winslow
Edward Lane Sear son   3   b. Winslow
Ann Sear dau   1   b. Winslow

1861 Census: High Street

Edward Sear head married 49 Coach builder b. Bletchley
Ann Sear wife married 49 Coach builder's wife b. Dunstable
James Sear son unmarried 19 Coach builder b. Winslow
Elizabeth Sear dau unmarried 17 Dressmaker b. Winslow
Edward Sear son   13 Scholar b. Winslow
Ann Sear dau   11 Scholar b. Winslow
George Sear son   9 Scholar b. Winslow
Frederick Sear son   6 Scholar b. Winslow
Luke Stevens boarder unmarried 19 Coach builder's apprentice b. Stewkley

1864: Post Office Directory
Mrs Ann Sear, straw hat maker & Edward Sear, coachmaker, High St

1865: Buckingham Advertiser, 10 June
BEGS most respectfully to thank the Gentlemen, Farmers, &c., &c., in the county for the kind support they have given him, and trusts, by supplying them with Carriages made of seasoned wood, best material, and good workmanship, to merit a continuance of their favours.
  E. S. can refer to many ladies and Gentlemen who are using Carriages made by him.
  A good and fashionable Waggonette, a Newport Pagnell Dog Cart, and a Pony Phaeton now for Sale.

1867: manor court
Mortgaged by Edward Lane Sear & Ann his wife to Samuel Cole of Granborough, farmer, for £120. Repaid 1871.

1870: Buckingham Advertiser, 15 Oct
HAS in Stock new DOG CARTS, Whitechapel, Newport, Norwich, Melbourne, and Fourwheel; also Second-hand Gigs, and Phaeton at reasonable Prices.
N. B.- Several Hundred Cart and Coach Spokes for Sale, unsorted at 3s. per Dozen.

1871 Census: Buckingham Road

Edward L. Sear head married 60 Coach builder b. Bletchley
Ann Sear wife married 59 Coach builder's wife b. Dunstable
Elizabeth A. Sear dau unmarried 27 Coach builder's dau b. Winslow
Edward L. Sear son unmarried 22 Coach smith b. Winslow

1881 Census: High Street

Edward L. Sear head widower 71 Coach maker emp. 1 man b. Bletchley
Elizabeth A. Sear dau unmarried 37 Housekeeper b. Winslow
Edward L. Sear son unmarried 33 Coach smith (journeyman) b. Winslow
George J. Sear grandson   11 Scholar b. Winslow
Frederick A.F. Sear grandson   7 Scholar b. Winslow

Painting of thatched cottage with lean-to at the front
This painting from 1884 is by P. Sear, probably Edward Lane Sear's grandson Percy who would have been 9. We don't know how accurate it is but it fits with the details of the building which are visible in photos. The house is viewed from the east side of the High Street.
The image has been taken from a printout of a photo in the collection of the late Norman Saving. We don't know where the original painting is.

1891 Census: High Street

Edward Lane Sear head widower 80 Coach builder b. Bletchley
Elizabeth Ann Sear dau unmarried 46 Housekeeper b. Winslow
George James Sear grandson unmarried 21 Watchmaker b. Winslow
Elizabeth Jane Sear granddau unmarried 19 Draper's assistant b. Ramsgate

James Sear, 49, coach painter, and his wife Helen Wilson Sear, 48, are listed in Union Street, but out of sequence.

1891: Will of Edward Lane Sear (proved 1896)
I give and devise all my house and premises situate in the High Street Winslow unto my said executors and trustees in trust for my said daughters Elizabeth Sear and Ann Sear for their joint lives and after the decease of either of them in trust for the survivor for her life but subject to this condition namely that they shall let the shops and yard at a fair rent to my sons James and Edward or either of them should they or one of them desire to hire it for the purpose of carrying on the business of a Coachbuilder it being my wish that the business I have so long carried on at that place shall continue in the name of Sear ...

1895: Death of Edward Lane Sear, Winslow's oldest tradesman (read more).

Side and end views of the axle
This stub axle for a cart has "Sear Winslow" stamped on its brass cap

1896: Buckingham Advertiser, 11 April,
THE STOCK-IN-TRADE of a Coachbuilder and Wheelwright, including 8 New and Second-hand Dog Carts, a Pony Phaeton, Spring Cart, quantity of Ash and Oak Planks, and Birch Boards, 81 assorted Ash Felloes, 19 pairs of Hubs, 16 Cart Springs and Axle Trees, quantity of Wheelwright’s Iron, and an Assortment of Trade Materials, &c., &c.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, BY MR. GEO WIGLEY On TUESDAY, APRIL 14th, 1896, on the premises at High Street, Winslow, by direction of the Executors of the late Mr. Edward Lane Sear.

1897: Buckingham Advertiser, 22 May

S E A R   &   S E A R,
C A R R I A G E   B U I L D E R S,
WISH to announce that the Business carried on by the late E. L SEAR will be continued in the name of SEAR & SEAR.   Your esteemed patronage is respectfully solicited.
Every Description of Vehicle built to order.
Prices suitable to all customers

1901 Census: High Street

Elizabeth A. Sear head unmarried 57   b. Winslow
George James Sear nephew unmarried 31 Watchmaker (own account) b. Winslow
James Sear brother married 59 Coachmaker b. Winslow
Frederick Titmus visitor married 29 Traveller in hardware b. Aston, Birmingham
Elizabeth Titmus visitor married 29   b. Uxbridge

1903: Kelly's Directory
Sear James, coach builder, High street

1903: Buckingham Advertiser, 13 June
WATCHES Cleaned, 2/-; Mainsprings,1/6; strong pins to Brooches, 2d.; Glasses, 3d. – All orders address, GEORGE SEAR, Certificated Watch Repairer, Winslow.

1904: Bucks Herald, 8 Oct
For Sale, the stock-in-trade and tools of a coachbuilder, with option of business. Immediate possession of premises can be had. Mr. J. Sear, Winslow, Bucks.

1905: Buckingham Advertiser, 9 Sep
Thomas Osborne is favoured with instructions from Mr. J. Sear to sell by auction, on the premises,
On Wednesday, September 20th, 1905, at 2 o’clock prompt, the whole of the
Stock-in-trade of a Coachbuilder, comprising new Governess Car, Dog Cart, Cart Bodies, Carriages, Lamps, Wheels, Axles, Shafts, Bolts, Timber, Varnish, etc., etc.
Catalogues can be obtained of the Auctioneer, 8, Bridge Street, Buckingham

At the same time Miss Sear was advertising for a shop or cottage to rent in a village, so presumably there were plans to sell the premises. She advertised premises to let for carriage-builders (Buckingham Advertiser, 4 Nov 1905)..

1910 Valuation
Miss E.A. Sear, owner & occupier, house, High Street

1911 Census: High Street

6 rooms            
Elizabeth Ann Sear head unmarried 68
b. Winslow
George James Sear nephew unmarried 41 Watch repairer (own account) b. Winslow

Edward Lane Sear aged 63 was living at Great Horwood with his wife Hannah and described himself as retired coach builder. He died in 1921 aged 72.

1914: Assessment (TNA, IR58/2348 no.271)
Situation              High Str
Description         House & Shop
Gross Value: Buildings   £15                         Rateable Value: Buildings             £12
Occupier }            Elizabeth Ann Sear
Owner    }            Winslow
Interest of Owner            Tenant for life
Superior Interests            Copyhold of Winslow Manor
Estimated Rent                 £25
Fixed Charges, Easements, Common Rights and Restrictions
Sanitary rate of £1 per annum
[stamp] SEP 30 1914
Particulars, description and note made on inspection
Brick & Thatch house 4 bedrooms 2 rooms down scullery
Brick Wood & Slate                          Cobbler’s Shop [changed to ?Coach Maker]
Brick & Tile                                       Workshop & Loft over
Wood & Slate                                Blacksmiths Shop
Wood & Corrugated iron              Shed Saw pit
Wood & Corrugated iron              Shed
  26 poles 14 yds
Valuation – Market Value of Fee Simple in possession of whole property in its present condition     £240
Deduct Market Value of Site under similar circumstances, but if divested of structures, timber, fruit trees, and other things growing on the land
75’  front              30/- say £100                                                                                                 £100
Difference Balance, being portion of market value attributable to structures, timber &c.                £140
Gross Value (as before)                                                                                                                £240
Less deductions in respect of –
Fixed Charges including –
Fee Farm Rent, rent seck, quit rent, chief rent, rent of Assize    £1
If Copyhold, Estimated Cost of Enfranchisement                     £19
Restrictions                                                                      ___
                TOTAL VALUE                                                                                                                £220      
Expense of clearing site                                                                                                                £140
ASSESSABLE SITE VALUE                                                                                                              £  80

1916: Winslow Parochial Lists
High Street
Miss Sear & nephew (watchmaker) Nonconformist

1921 Census: High Street

3 rooms            
Elizabeth Ann Sear head single 77y 8m Home duties b. Winslow
George James Sear nephew single 51y 4m Watchmaker (own account, at home) b. Winslow

1931: death of Elizabeth Ann Sear aged 87 (read more)
She "had passed all her life in the picturesque old thatched cottage which stands near to Winslow Post Office".

1932: James Sear died at Weedon in his 92nd year. His third wife, who survived him, was his former High Street neighbour Fanny, daughter of Lewis Clarke.

Under the Housing Act 1930, local authorities were encouraged to demolish and replace poor housing. At the meeting of Winslow RDC on 10 Feb 1933, the surveyor recommended demolition of a house in the High Street "owned by Mr Sear". On 10 March it was reported that Mrs Annie H. Scott had accepted an offer of £200 for it. Miss Sear was recorded as the owner in Winslow RDC's 1930 valuation list (CBS, DC4/15/5), and ownership had presumably passed to one or more of her nieces and nephews.

1933: Buckingham Advertiser, 5 Aug
The demolition of a thatched cottage, over 400 years old, in the High Street, at Winslow, removes one of the few remaining evidences, in Winslow's shopping thoroughfare, of the town's antiquity. In its younger days, the cottage must have been very picturesque, but with the passage of time, it has become little more than a wreckage. Only extensive re-conditioning could have renewed its usefulness as a comfortable place of residence. The work of demolition has been proceeding this week.

1933: Buckingham Advertiser, 19 Aug (reporting on Winslow RDC)
Mr Philip Wood attended the meeting on behalf of the owner of some property in Winslow High Street which had been the subject of a demolition order. [He said the notice had been served on the wrong people.] Mrs Scott had never owned the property, neither had Mr G. Sear on whom an order had also been served. ... He would not like to say who [the owners] were because he did not know. ... the property had been demolished to the extent of having the ceiling and lower floor pulled down ... it was to be used for a garage and an iron roof would be fitted ... There was on the same site a showroom but that was not a dwelling-house.

This report seems to have been garbled, as the RDC minutes for 14 July record that the new owner Mr P.W. Parker was asked to attend the next meeting. He subsequently gave an undertaking not to use any part of the premises for human habitation without making alterations approved by the Council. Mr Parker sold bicycles at 3 High Street, but he later used the showroom on the Sear site as an antiques shop before moving to a shop next to 26 High Street.

High Street looking north with people in foreground
Sear's gateway and some of the buildings are visible on the left. Presumably this was the showroom referred to above and a workshop. It survived until the telephone exchange was built on the site in the 1960s. The photo is from after 1911 as the new Post Office has been completed.


See plan of the location

1682: manor court
Robert Scott and Ann his wife surrendered a parcel of pasture now enclosed near the hedge in Mill feild in Winslow, land of William Gyles west, public road east, land of John Glenister south [the future Arundel House site]. To the use of Henry Tomes and Katharine his wife. Rent 1d, fine 6s.

1704: manor court
Henry Toms sr of Winslow Labourer and Ann his wife surrendered a piece of land in Winslowe between the messuage of Henry Toms jr and the land of Mrs Gyles, 20 "yards" long from the house of Henry jr to the land of Mrs Gyles, 12 yards wide at the west end, 8½ yards at the north [sic], with freedom of ingress through the yard belonging to the messuages of Henry sr and jr. To the use of Henry jr and Mary his wife for their lives, then the heirs of Henry jr. Rent [blank], fine [blank].

By this stage two presumably adjoining houses had been built on the site. The cottage of Henry sr is mentioned in 1714, and is probably the one which Robert Hamp held in 1742. The cottage of Henry jr is mentioned in 1729 as "lately built". They were brought together in 1744 under the ownership of John Gibbs.

There was another adjacent property. In 1690 William Gyles and Mary his wife sold to John Shelton a piece of land in the field of Winslow adjoining the messuage of Henry Tombs in the place commonly called Little Picles, containing at this end 30 feet in width and at that end 50 feet. In 1701 John Shelton, drover, mortgaged to Daniel Gyles, linen draper for £15 the messuage in Winslow in which he now lives, adjoining the messuage of Henry Tombs, with the land belonging to it containing 30 feet in width on the east side, 50 feet on the west side. In 1713 it was described as a cottage now in the occupation of John Shelton in Winslowe with yard, garden, backyards. It was handed over to the parish officers on trust that from the premises they "shall save harmlesse" the inhabitants of the parish of Winslowe from all costs which they expend on behalf of the said John Shelton, Ann Shelton his daughter and the infant with which Ann is now pregnant (and also such costs already spent), permitting Ann Shelton to occupy and enjoy the premises during her life, then to return to John Shelton's heirs. The child Elizabeth was baptised on 24 July 1713. Ann married John Burrell in 1714. They had daughters Ann baptised in 1715 and Zylpha baptised in 1723, probably the people mentioned in 1741 (see below).

1712: burial of Mary wife of Henry Tomes [jr], 30 Oct

1714: manor court
Henry Tomms [sr] died since the last court [buried 29 March 1714] seised of a cottage. Heriot [blank]. On 26 Oct last he surrendered the cottage in which he then lived. To the use of Ann Tomms then his wife (for her life), then to the use of Christiana Tomms spinster his daughter and her heirs in perpetuity. On condition that if Christiana within 12 months after Ann's decease does not pay to John Tomms (Henry's grandson) 40s and to Joseph Tomms Henry's son 20s, and to Thomas Tomms and Mary Tomms, Henry's children, 10s each, then the surrender is to the use of John Tomms, making the payments to Joseph, Thomas and Mary.

1719: burial of Ann Toms

1729: manor court
Conditional surrender by Henry Tomms & Elizabeth his wife, customary tenants, of "All that Cottage in Winslowe now in the occupation of the said Henry Tomms \& by him lately built/ with all Outhouses Yards Backsides". To John Bull of Shipton husbandman for securing £6 3s.

1729: burial of Henry Tombs [jr], 17 Nov

1741: manor court
John Bull [mortgagee], Elizabeth Toms widow and John Toms son and heir of Henry Toms deceased surrendered a cottage in Winslowe lately Henry’s, in the occupation of Anne and Zilpah Burrall, adjoining John Budd’s house [the future Arundel House] on the south.  To the use of Robert Gibbs of Winslowe, cooper, for his life, then John Gibbs his son.

1742: manor court
Robert Hamp died since the last court [buried 18 April 1742; he married his second wife Elizabeth c.1730] seised of a cottage in Winslowe. Heriot [blank]. John Hamp his eldest son and next heir requesteth to be admitted. He is to hold subject to a conditional surrender by Robert for securing payment of £10 to John Bull. Rent [blank], fine 5s.
Immediately afterwards John Hamp surrendered the cottage now in the occupation of Elizabeth Hamp widow and all right, title and equity of redemption to the use of John Bull. Fine 5s.

1744: manor court
John Bull surrendered a cottage in Cow Street in the occupation of Elizabeth Hamp, with orchard, garden and backside. to the use of John Gibbs of Winslowe Cooper and Sarah his wife and John's heirs. Rent [blank], fine 5s.
John Gibbs and Sarah his wife then surrendered this cottage and the cottage next to it, in the occupation of Thomas Budd, with barns, outhouses, buildings, yards and backsides, to the use of John Bull, on condition that if they pay him £20 and interest on 22 April next the surrender will be void.

1777-98: fire insurance
John Gibbs cooper let two thatched houses in Cow Street to Charles King.

1781: Land Tax
John Gibbs cooper owner; Charles King occupier: 3s 8¼d

1786 & 1795: Land Tax
John Gibbs cooper owner; Charles King occupier: 4s

Charles King is recorded as a whitesmith in 1795 and clock and watchmaker in 1798.

1797: manor court
John Gibbs late of Winslow cooper & Sarah his wife customary tenants held a cottage in Cow Street formerly in the occupation of Elizabeth Hamp, now or late of Charles King, with orchard, garden, backside, to which John & Sarah were admitted 22 Oct 1744 on the surrender of John Bull.  They died some time since.…. Sarah Eagleton of Winslow widow is his only child and heir [Sarah Gibbs married Chedorlaomer Egleton in 1764].  She desires to be admitted.  Rents 3d…  Immediately she surrenders the cottage in Cow Street to the use of George Eagleton of Winslow cooper her son.

1798: Conditional surrender for £30 on 9 May by Sarah Eggleton of Winslow widow & George Eggleton of Winslow cooper her son
Admission: Robert Luckett of Winslow labourer
2 messuages in Cow Street now in the occupation of Charles King or undertenants

1800: Surrender on 2 June by Sarah Eggleton of Winslow widow & George Eggleton of Winslow cooper her son
Admission: Ann Eggleton of Winslow spinster
Cottage now divided into 2 tenements in Cow Street now in several tenures of Sarah and George their undertenants or assigns, with yard gardens edifices buildings etc.   Rent 3d, fine 5s.

William Coxhill married Ann Hudson at Bicester in 1798. They arrived in Winslow in 1800 or 1801.

1802: Special court, 26 June
Ann Eggleton [buried 20 Sep 1801] held a cottage now divided into two in Cow Street in the occupation of William Coxhill and John Fairy. Rent 3d. George Eggleton of Winslow cooper is her brother and heir.
He surrendered to the use of George Cross sr of Winslow blacksmith for his life then to George Cross his son.

1805 & 1814 Land Tax:
George Cross owner; William Coxill occupier        4s 0d

1818: sale by George Cross
Lot 2.  A brick-built MESSUAGE, in TWO TENEMENTS, situate in COW STREET, in WINSLOW aforesaid, in the several Occupations of William Coxhill, Cooper, and Richard Ingram; with a Cooper’s Shop (in full Trade) extensive Yard and Garden, wood Barns, Stables, and Pigsties adjoining thereto. 

1818: manor court
George Cross jr desires to be admitted to his reversion of the property [as in 1802], now in the occupation William Coxhill & Robert Scott [written John Scott in one place]. Rent 3d, fine 5s.

Surrender: George Cross sr blacksmith & George Cross jr
Admission: William Coxhill of Winslow cooper
Consideration: £168
Cottage as above

Conditional surrender: William Coxhill of Winslow cooper, customary tenant, & Ann his wife for £130 paid by Mary Robinson spinster late of Winslow and now of Shadwell Lodge, Norfolk, spinster, surrendered a cottage now divided into 2 tenements in Cow Street, late in the several occupations of William Coxhill and John Fairy, now of Coxhill and Robert Scott.  Coxhill was admitted this 26 Oct on the surrender of George Cross the elder and younger.  To be void if Coxhill pays £130 and 5% interest on 27 April 1819.
At the 1865 manor court, Philip Haines of Palgrave, Suffolk, gent, executor of his father Philip Haines who was husband of Mary Haines, formerly Mary Robinson spinster, recorded that this debt had been repaid in 1863.

1823: Land Tax
William Coxill: owner & occupier 4s 0d

1830: Pigot's Directory
William Coxill, cooper, High Street

1830: Will of William Coxill, cooper (proved 1831)
... to my Wife Ann Coxill the House werein I now Reside, Likewise the House ajoining in Occupation of Roseman Tombs ...

1830: burial of William Coxhill, aged 58, 13 June

1832: manor court
William Coxill cooper held a cottage divided into two tenements in Cow Street heretofore in the occupation of William Coxill & John Scott, since of William Coxill & Rosomon [Roseman] Tombs.  Admitted 26 Oct 1818 on surrender of George Cross sr & jr.  By will dated 25 May 1830 he bequeathed it to his wife \for her life/.  Ann Coxill desires to be admitted.  Rent 3d, fine 5s.

1832: Land Tax
Mrs Coxill owner; Mrs Coxill & Tombs occupiers; houses & c. 4s 0d

Church rates
1838-1863  Ann Coxill                  Apparently two houses combined from 1840

1839: Robson's Directory
Coxill Richard..............................................Cooper

1841: Census (read full entry)
Richard Coxill, 37, cooper with wife & daughter; Joseph Coxill, 39, cooper; Ann Coxill, 65

1851 Census: Buckingham Road

Richard Coxill head married 46 Cooper b. Winslow
Alice Coxill wife married 40 Cooper's wife b. Thame
Ann Coxill mother widow 75 Cooper's mother b. Bicester
Louisa Coxill dau   10 Scholar b. Winslow
Richard Coxill son   8 Scholar b. Winslow
Ann Coxill dau   6 Scholar b. Winslow
John Pearce apprentice unmarried 18 Apprentice b. Thame

1854: Will of Ann Coxill, widow (proved 1864)

1861 Census: High Street

Richard Coxill head married 57 Cooper b. Winslow
Alice Coxill wife married 49 Cooper's wife b. Thame
Louisa Coxill dau unmarried 20 Dressmaker b. Winslow
Richard Coxill son unmarried 18 Cooper b. Winslow
Ann Coxill dau unmarried 16 Bonnet maker straw b. Winslow
William Coxill son   6 Scholar b. Winslow
Ann Coxill head widow 85 Annuitant b. Bicester

1864: Post Office Directory           
Richard Coxill, cooper, High St

1864: death of Ann Coxill aged 88

1864: manor court
William Coxill late of Winslow cooper held a cottage heretofore divided into two tenements in Cow Street heretofore in occupation of himself and Rosomon Tombs.  Admitted 1818 on surrender of George Cross sr & George Cross jr.  He died some time since.  By his will dated 25 May 1830 he bequeathed it to his wife Ann Coxill for her life.  She was admitted for life in 1832.  She is lately dead leaving Joseph Coxill of 43 Upper Seymour Street Euston Square carpenter the eldest son & heir at law of William Coxill.  He is admitted tenant.  Rent 3d fine 5s.

1865: manor court
Surrender: Joseph Coxill of Upper Seymour Street, Euston Square, carpenter & Jane his wife, on 14 Jan
Admission: Richard Coxill of Winslow cooper & Alice his wife, to hold for their lives, then Richard’s heirs & assigns
Consideration: £200
Cottage heretofore divided into two tenements in Cow Street heretofore in the occupation of William Coxill & Rosamen Tombs, late Ann Coxill, now Richard Coxill.  Joseph Coxill admitted 1864 as eldest son and heir of William Coxill.  Rent 3d, fine 10s.

1871 Census: Buckingham Road

Richard Coxill head married 67 Cooper b. Winslow
Alice Coxill wife married 59 Cooper's wife b. Thame
Richard Coxill son unmarried 28 Cooper b. Winslow
William Coxill son unmarried 16 Butcher's apprentice b. Winslow

1878: death of Richard Coxill aged 74

1881 Census: High Street

Alice Coxill head widow 69 Cooper, measure maker b. Thame
Richard J. Coxill son unmarried 38 No occupation b. Winslow
Emma J. Bloxham granddau   10 Scholar b. Thame

View looking north over rooftops
This photo was taken from the church tower in 1885. Coxill's is the thatched white building in the centre. Sear's is beyond it. This is the only photo which shows that they were separate although adjacent buildings.

1891 Census: High Street

Richard John Coxill head unmarried 48 Cooper b. Winslow
Alice Coxill mother widow 79   b. Thame
Sophia Illing servant unmarried 26 Domestic servant b. Nash

1892: death of Alice Coxill aged 81

1901 Census: High Street

Richard John Coxill head unmarried 58 Cooper, own account b. Winslow
Emma Jane Bloxham niece unmarried 28 Housekeeper b. Thame
Daisy Louisa Bloxham niece unmarried 17 Draper's assistant b. Luton

1908: death of Richard John Coxill, 21 Feb

1908: Will of Richard Coxill, cooper
Although his personal estate was worth £491, only £16 was left after his debts were paid. The business was evidently no longer viable. The only individual possession mentioned in the will is his American organ.

1908: sale on 13 April
Household furniture and outdoor effects; useful stock-in-trade of a cooper and measure-maker

1908: Sale notice

Are instructed by the Executors of the late Mr. RICHARD JOHN COXHILL to sell by Auction at The BELL HOTEL, WINSLOW,
AT 5 O’CLOCK EXACT TIME, On Wednesday, April 29th, 1908
With Capital Yard, Garden, and Excellent WORKSHOPS & STOREHOUSES,
Centrally situate in the High Street, and well adapted for occupation by a carpenter or a tradesman requiring workshop accommodation being formerly occupied by a Cooper and Measure Maker.
4 Brick & Slated COTTAGES, Freehold With Large Gardens, situate in the High Street,

  LOT 1.-The brick panelled and thatched HOUSE situate in the centre of the High Street, Winslow, containing 2 front sitting rooms, kitchen, scullery and wash-house, cellar, and 4 Bedrooms approached from two staircases; capital yard approached from the side of the house, and containing boarded and thatched storehouse, boarded and corrugated-iron roofed paint shop (with loft over) a capital and well-lighted two-storey boarded and slated WORKSHOP (31ft. 6in. x 21ft.); w.c.; brick sawpit with boarded and slated shed over.  Good Garden (bounded on the West by a garden the property of T. P. Willis Esq., & formerly held therewith) well stocked with carefully selected fruit trees.
  The property is centrally situate in the centre of the High Street. and is well suited for occupation by a Carpenter, Wheelwright, or other tradesman requiring workshop accommodation.  It is copyhold of the Manor of Winslow.  Land Tax 9s. 4d.
  The Property was until recently in the occupation of the late Mr. R. J. Coxhill and Possession will be given on completion of the purchase.  It is subject to a quit rent of 6d. per annum payable to Mr. Willis for an easement as to lights in the workshop overlooking his Property.
   LOT 2.- FOUR CAPITAL BRICK AND SLATED FREEHOLD COTTAGES, occupying a central position in the High Street, Winslow, with large & very productive Gardens, & right-of-way at back along the road leading into the High Street, three let respectively to Mr. Wm. Gibson, Mrs. Shakespear, and Mr. Abel Chandler at the very moderate Rental of 2s.6d. per week each, but are of the estimated value of 3s.0d. per week, and one to Mr. Andrew Kays at 3s.0d per week; Actual and Estimated Gross Rental £31 4s. per annum.  The former house contains large living room, lean-to brick and boarded and corrugated-iron-roofed wash-house, and 2 bedrooms, the other cottages have each 2 rooms down-stairs and 2 bedrooms.  Each has a brick and slated barn. [now 48-54 High Street]

1908: Buckingham Advertiser, 2 May
The copyhold house, garden and workshops realised £250, being purchased by Messrs. Matthews Bros. [of Arundel House]; and four freehold cottages opposite, being let at £31 4s. per annum were sold for £425, purchased by Mr Geo. Hancock for his son-in-law, Mr S.B. Moxhay (better known as "Fred Carey," the comedian).

1910: Valuation
Matthews Bros, owners and occupiers, shops and house, High Street.

Assessment (TNA, IR58/2346 no.35)
Late Coxhills premises, High St     
Description                   Land & workshops
Gross Value: Land            £15         Rateable Value: Land      £12
Owner                          Rich Jas Matthews, Arundel House, Winslow
Interest of Owner         Enfranchised; cost, £18 – 5 - 6
Outgoings -  Land Tax, £ 9/4
Former Sales  Dates                         July 1908
Consideration                                    £250

High Street looking north
On the left is Coxill's shop; the horse is in front of Sear's. This photo was taken before 1908. The woman in the white blouse is probably one of the Bloxham sisters.            

1932: A.J. Clear, Old Winslow
Next to the boys school, low roofed and badly ventilated, Mr. Sear’s old house [still standing] and Mr. Coxhill’s old house, now pulled down.

1954: Buckingham Advertiser, 27 Feb
Bucks County Council agreed ... the purchase should be sanctioned, of the freehold of the lock-up garages in High Street, Winslow, which form part of the Fire Station, together with a piece of adjoining land, with a view to the demolition of the existing buildings and the erection of a new fire station on the combined site which has a total area of .144 of an acre.

The "piece of adjoining land" explains why the plot on which the Fire Station stands is bigger than the original Coxill's site.

1960: new fire station completed

Jennings Close

Richard Hurst of Addington, grazier, in his will made in 1750 (proved 1751) left all his real and personal estate to his niece Jane Hurst. At the 1751 manor court she was admitted to a messuage at the Upper End of Cow Street now or late in the occupation of John Mayne [see 2-4 Vicarage Road], and a close of pasture ground containing 4 acres now or late in the occupation of John Bailey abutting the land now or late of John Turner west, Robert Gibbs' house and yard east. In 1753 she married Robert Gibbs at Stowe. At the 1753 manor court Robert and Jane went through a procedure of common recovery in order to hold her inheritance to themselves for their lives and to the heir of the survivor.

Robert Gibbs already had his own messuage east of Jane's land, perhaps the one which became Crockett's and then Sear's.

At the 1795 manor court it was reported that Robert Gibbs late of Winslow malster held (inter alia) a messuage at the upper end of Cow Street late in his own occupation and a close of pasture containing 4 acres late in his own occupation abutting on the land of John Dudley west, the last mentioned messuage east. He left all his property to his brother Richard Gibbs, glover (see his will), who then sold the premises to Thomas Morecraft of Winslow, butcher.

Thomas Morecraft, butcher, in his will of 1807 left to his wife Ann for her life and then to their son Thomas: "all that my copyhold close of pasture ground (lately divided into two several closes and called or known by the names of Jenning’s Close (which I bought and purchased of Richard Gibbs) and Dudley’s Close (and which I bought of John Dudley) and also all those my two copyhold cottages or tenements now occupied by Richard Cox and Francis Warner [= 2-4 Vicarage Road] and being in the said close called Jenning’s Close".

At the 1807 manor court it was reported that he held: a messuage at the upper end of Cow Street and a close (since divided into two closes of pasture and called Jennings’s Closes) containing by estimate 4 acres, with the two cottages thereon built ... to which he was admitted in 1795 on the surrender of Richard Gibbs.

At the 1820 court Thomas Morecraft of Devizes, haberdasher, who had come of age was admitted to the reversion of the property on the death of his mother Ann. He then mortgaged his reversion of this and other property to Charles Willis for £200, which under the terms of the will he had to pay as legacies to some of his siblings. He must have sold the inheritance to his brother John after their mother's death in 1827 (see her will).

At the 1863 manor court it was reported that Thomas Morecraft of Winslow gent held (inter alia) a close of pasture (formerly in one close afterwards divided into two and then again laid into one) called Jennings Close containing 4 acres together with two cottages thereon built. By his will of 6 Feb 1860 he appointed Grant King of Winslow draper and Frederick Dancer of Grandborough farmer to be trustees.  Grant King by deed of disclaimer 23 Oct 1863 disclaimed.  FD desired to be admitted trustee. In 1874, after the death of Thomas' widow, a sale of his property included:

A VALUABLE CLOSE of PASTURE LAND, in the occupation of Mr. Silvanus Jones, at the apportioned rent of £20 per annum; also FOUR substantial BRICK-BUILT and SLATED COTTAGES, with Gardens back and front, and Brick and Tiled Wood Barns, let at rents amounting to £23:8 per annum, and containing altogether 4a. 0r. 0p.  This Lot is very valuable for Building Ground.

It was bought by D.T. Willis, and became known as the Flower Show Field.

1910: T.P. Willis sale
Lot 1, known as the Flower Show Field, comprising 7 acres, close to the High-street, was purchased by Messrs. Matthews Bros. at £600. 

See also:

Copyright 6 February, 2024