Attempted wife murder, 1873

John Ingram was born in 1824. He was the son of William and Lucy Ingram, and is recorded as an agricultural labourer in the 1841 Census, but in 1851 he was a carpenter and joiner living near the Chandos Arms, and his wife ran a shop. He probably bought the Chandos Arms in 1854; he certainly owned it by 1872 and also owned the Golden Lion. His first wife Sarah Bonham died in 1857 and he then married Martha Fleet. John, b.1847, was the first of three children from his first marriage; Elizabeth b.1851 is presumably the unnamed daughter in the report below. He had six more children with Martha (all listed in the will of his eldest son John William ingram, 1905). They lived in a three-storey house in the High Street (no.86, now demolished) which John Ingram probably built himself, where the entrance to Elmfields Gate is now. His business expanded and in 1871 he was a builder, grocer and farmer of 41 acres employing two labourers. He was the builder of 3 Market Square for W.H. French. He stood unsuccessfully for the Board of Guardians in the Liberal interest in 1870 and 1872.

Bucks Herald, 26 April 1873 


  This division bids fair to acquire an unenviable reputation for murders and attempts at murder.  It is scarcely a month since Henry Evans was brought before the magistrates, at the Bell Inn, Winslow, charged with feloniously killing his wife [at Oving]; and the case of child murder at Steeple Claydon is still fresh in our recollection.  In the present instance, we have to report an attempted wife murder, the accused being a respectable and well-to-do tradesman of Winslow, named John Ingram, but happily the circumstances, although alike in some respects, are in others of a totally different character from those attending Evans’s crime.  Not only is Mrs. Ingram likely to recover, but there appear strong reasons for believing that that when Ingram attempted his wife’s life, he was not responsible for his actions.  This is not yet fully substantiated, but everything, so far as the particulars can be gleaned, tends to that conclusion.  The only wonder seems to be that the unfortunate man was allowed to remain at large so long.  He has been under medical care, we understand, for some time, and had only just returned from Matlock, where he had been undergoing hydropathic treatment.  His wife accompanied him to Matlock, and he is said to have been so much attached to her that he could not bear her out of his sight. 

The workings of hypochondria are, however, very strange, and last Sunday morning the unfortunate man - the victim probably of some terrible hallucination - determined to cut his wife’s throat.  About one o’clock in the morning the prisoner’s son, a young man of about 25 years of age, who slept in an adjoining room, heard a noise on the stairs, and going down encountered his father on the landing.  He asked him what he wanted, whereupon Ingram made some reply, and the son being satisfied with the answer, returned to his room.  There can be no doubt that Ingram had gone to fetch the knife with which he attempted to commit the murder.  The young man heard his father come up stairs and shut the door, and almost immediately afterwards he was startled by a scream from his parents’ bedroom.  He rushed in, and found his father kneeling on Mrs. Ingram, and in the act of finishing his deadly work.  The sheets and night dresses were covered with blood.  Young Ingram sprang forward, pinioned his father, and succeeded in taking the knife away from him.  The unfortunate woman’s throat was found to be badly cut, but the jugular vein was not severed, and it is believed that she will recover.  But for the son’s opportune arrival on the scene, however, there can be no doubt that Mrs. Ingram’s life would have been sacrificed.  It was the first night of their return from Matlock, and it is stated that they had actually come home because Mrs. Ingram was afraid to remain longer with her husband alone.  If this be so, it is most unfortunate that he was not put under proper restraint before, instead of after, his attempted crime.  The evidence, as we have said, all strongly points to the most merciful suggestion that Ingram’s mind was thoroughly unhinged at the time he committed the dreadful act, but complete evidence on this head will no doubt be forthcoming when the case comes fully before the magistrates next week.

  A preliminary inquiry was opened on Tuesday afternoon, when the accused was taken before the Winslow bench - W. Selby Lowndes, Esq. (chairman), E. W. S. Lowndes, Esq., and Fleetwood Lowndes, Esq.

  Previous to Ingram’s being brought into Court, the magistrates held a consultation for the purpose of considering the best way of proceeding in the case.  The prisoner was then put forward, and the charge was read over by the Clerk to the Magistrates, to the effect that he wilfully and maliciously attempted to murder his wife on the 20th April.

  Mr. Small, of Buckingham, appeared on behalf of the prisoner, and stated that he did not think he was at the present time in a fit state of mind to hear the evidence that would be adduced against him.  He would apply under the section of the Act of Parliament in that case provided, that he should be remanded for a week, in order that enquiry might be made and such proceedings taken as would enable them more fully to understand what was the state of the prisoner’s mind.  By doing so, the Bench would be able the better to satisfy themselves as to what was likely to be his state of mind at the time of the commission of the offence, and then hereafter, in any proceedings which might arise, they would have no difficulty.  He had evidence as to his state of mind; but he thought it was not necessary to go further than this now.  Having made this application he would suggest that the court should be cleared, and then the Bench could discuss the matter and take what course they thought proper.  He had not seen the prisoner for some months, but certainly at the present time he should not have recognised him.  He would only further state that he had a conversation with Dr. Newham, from which he should think that at the time he committed the offence the prisoner was not in a fit state to be left alone.  He then applied formally that the prisoner should be remanded to Aylesbury.

  The Court was cleared, and the Bench consulted in private with Dr. Newham and Sergeant Cleare.  In about half an hour the public were re-admitted, and the following evidence was then taken:-

  John Ingram, when sworn, in reply to the clerk, said - I am son of the prisoner, and resided with him.  I am a carpenter.
  Mr. Small- On Sunday morning last were you woke up?
Witness- No, I was awake.
Mr. Small- Were you roused up then?
Witness- Yes.
Mr. Small- In consequence of a noise you heard did you rush into your father’s bedroom?
Witness- Yes.
Mr. Small- What did you see there?
Witness- I saw my father and mother on the bed.
Mr. Small- Did you see any blood?
Witness- Yes, I did.
Mr. Small- You did not see anything in your father’s hand, I think?
Witness- No.
Mr. Small- You pulled your father off the bed, I believe?
Witness- Yes.
Mr. Small- You all fell on the floor, did you not?
Witness- Yes.
The Clerk (addressing the Bench)- Is that sufficient evidence?
The Chairman- Yes, I think so.
The Clerk (to the prisoner)- You are remanded for a week to Aylesbury.

  The prisoner, addressing the Bench, said he should like them to go into his cell and look at the bed he was placed upon.  It was not a fit or proper place for a person to be in.
  The Clerk told him he was not going to remain there, but would be taken to Aylesbury.
  The accused was then removed, and was conveyed to Aylesbury gaol the same evening.

Leighton Buzzard Observer, 29 April

These details are additional to the Bucks Herald report; the LBO otherwise covered the same ground.

He [Mr. Ingram] has for some months past been suffering from an affliction of the liver, and become greatly depressed in spirits.  A short time ago he went to Matlock for the benefit of his health, and, it is stated, returned home about Friday week.  On the evening of that day he was observed to have a somewhat strange look about him, but no more notice seems to have been taken of him, and the family retired to rest at the normal hour….

  It is stated that the poor woman [Mrs. Ingram] escaped from the room with her throat and cheek slightly cut, and her hand fearfully gashed, especially near the thumb, as if she had raised the hand to defend herself in the struggle which had taken place.  It is said that she ran across the road and then returned home, when she fell in a fainting condition on the sofa, from loss of blood.  The wounds were attended to, and she is now progressing favourably towards recovery.  She is described as a quiet, inoffensive woman, of prepossessing appearance, and there is every reason to believe, that, up to the moment her husband in his fit of frenzy attempted her life, they lived on the most affectionate terms…

  Know as a jovial and robust-looking man, he [Mr. Ingram] appeared haggard and worn, and while seated in court presented a fearfully altered aspect to those who knew him a few months ago…

Mr. Small…applied for a remand under Section 11 of the 27th and 28th Vic., c. 29.

Bucks Herald, 3 May 1873


  The charge against John Ingram, of feloniously cutting and wounding Martha Ingram, his wife, with intent to murder her, was again gone into at the Winslow Police-station on Tuesday last.

  The magistrates present were- E. W. S. Lowndes, Esq. (chairman), and T. F. Fremantle, Esq.  Captain Drake, Chief-constable of the County, was also present during the hearing.

  Mr. Small, of Buckingham, who had previously been acting as prisoner’s counsel, was also in attendance.  The prisoner, however, objected to Mr. Small appearing for him, and as the magistrates could not under the circumstances permit a cross-examination, Mr. Small ultimately withdrew.

  The prisoner, who was perfectly sensible, appeared to be very much agitated when his wife was called in to give her deposition.  She was the first witness examined, and although looking rather weak, seemed to have quite recovered from the effects of her wounds.

  Mrs. Ingram said- I am the wife of John Ingram, and live at Winslow.  My husband is a builder and farmer.  On the 18th of April he was at home all day with me.  I went to bed very unwell about eight o’clock, and my husband came to bed about ten, or from that to half-past.  On the whole he was not so excited that day as he had been some days before.  On the Saturday morning following, about two, I was out of bed myself.  My husband also got out of bed and went down stairs.  I asked him what he wanted, and he said he would go and get a little brandy.  Instead of brandy he brought a little gin in a tumbler. I gave him a little of the gin in some water.  He went down stairs again directly, and came back almost immediately and got into bed.  I said, “I would let the light burn a little while,” and nothing further was said by either of us.  Perhaps he lay for five minutes.  (Here the witness became very exhausted, and requested to be asked no further questions.)  After some little time she added- I simply felt my neck being cut.  I clasped the knife with my fingers, and held it till I got possession of it, and then ran downstairs with it.  I called my stepson John, and he was there in a moment.  My husband has been under medical treatment since last November.  He had been very low and desponding for the last two months or more.  There had been no words between us.  The last two months I scarcely ever left him day or night.  As a last resource we went to Matlock.  I don’t know that we had had a quarrel for years.

  At the close of Mrs. Ingram’s evidence, the prisoner asked her whether he had not been very much excited the night before, and complained that his head was bad.
  Mrs. Ingram said “yes” to each question.
  Prisoner- Did I not ask you to allow them to lock me up in the shop?
  Mrs. Ingram- Yes, you did.
  Prisoner- Do you think I knew what I was about that night?
  Mrs. Ingram- Decidedly not.

  John Wm. Ingram, prisoner’s son, said- I live with my father and stepmother at Winslow.  I sleep in an adjoining bedroom.  I can hear anything that is said.  On the 19th of April, about two or three o’clock in the morning, I heard my father get out of bed and go down stairs.  I called to him on the stairs, and asked him if mother was not so well, as she had gone to bed poorly.  He made some reply which I cannot quite call to mind.  He came back again shortly afterwards, and then went down again.  I did not see him.  I began putting my clothes on when he went down again the second time, as I thought something was the matter.  While my father was gone down the second time I heard mother on the landing call out to father and say, “What is the matter?  Can’t you find what you want?  What are you looking after?”  My father made no reply, but came up stairs, and I heard them get into bed.  In a few minutes mother called out to me and I went into the room.  Mother was lying in bed.  Father was kneeling upon the bed over her.  I saw some blood, and caught hold of my father and pulled him off.  We all fell off the bed in the struggle.  My mother was bleeding from a cut on the left cheek.  That was all I saw then.  I stopped with my father and kept him down, and quiet.  He was not violent.  He did not seem to know what he was doing when I pulled him off.  He seemed unconscious.  Mother was gone down stairs.  My father said, “Whatever is the matter?”  He said, “Let me get up.  I won’t hurt you.  Whatever can I have done it for?”  I did not see a knife in the room, but I afterwards saw a dinner knife down stairs.  I do not know how it got there.  It was about ten minutes or a quarter of an hour afterwards that I saw my mother.  I afterwards handed the knife to Sergeant Cleare.  It was in the state now produced. (The knife was produced, and was covered with blood.)  I also handed to Sergeant Cleare a night-dress, a flannel chemise, and a man’s shirt.  They were in the state they now are when I handed them to the police.  They are my father’s and mother’s clothes.  They had been in a pan of water.  I saw the girl put them in.  They were wet when the police received them.

  John Elley said- I am a baker, and live in Winslow.  On the 19th of April I was called up by some one knocking at the door, about half-past two in the morning.  I pushed up my window to know who was there, and found it was Mr. Ingram’s servant girl.  She said they wished me to come over directly, as Mr. Ingram was taken worse.  I got up and dressed myself.  While I was dressing, Mrs. Ingram called out, “Pray come over,” and I was there directly.  As soon as I got into the house I saw Mrs. Ingram lying on the sofa in the room down stairs.  Her night-dress, neck and hands were all covered with blood.  I then went upstairs.  When I got upstairs I saw Mr. Ingram lying on the floor, and his son and daughter holding him down.  I said, “Dear me, what a confused state you are in, Mr. Ingram.”  He said, “We are.  I do not know what they are going to do with me; they won’t let me alone.”  I said to the son, “Let him get up now, John.”  I then said to the prisoner, “You would like to get into bed now.”  The bed and clothes were all off the bedstead.  He said, “Will you help me up with the bed?”  I did so, and put it on the bedstead.  He then got into bed and lay down.  I covered him up and he seemed pretty quiet.  I then asked him again how it was he had become in that confused state.  He said he could not make it out.  Prisoner’s shirt was bloody.  I stayed with the prisoner till five in the morning.  The police were not sent for, that I was aware of, during that time.

  Arabella Elley said- I am the wife of John Elley.  I was sent for to Mr. Ingram’s between two and three o’clock on the morning of the 19th of April.  On arriving I found Mrs. Ingram lying on the couch in the parlour.  She was wrapped in a blanket.  Her night dress was bloody under the blanket.  I remained with Mrs. Ingram till Dr. Newham came, and helped to undress her.  Mrs. Henry Ingram also assisted.  I saw cuts on Mrs. Ingram’s throat, cheek and hands.

  Sergeant Cleare said- I am a sergeant of police at Winslow.  On Saturday, April 19th, about a quarter before twelve o’clock in the morning, in consequence of something I had heard, I went to the prisoner's house and found this offence had been committed.  I was about to remove the prisoner to the lock-up, when Dr. Newham, who was present, informed me that he was in such an excited state that it would be dangerous to remove him to the police station then.  I therefore placed P.C. Matthews in the house in charge.  He remained there till seven in the evening, when I received permission from Dr. Newham to remove prisoner to the police-station.  During the afternoon the witness John William Ingram handed over to me the knife which I have produced.  He also showed me an earthen pan, in which I found a night dress and chemise much stained with blood upon the collar.  I also found a man’s shirt, which John Ingram stated was his father’s.  It too was stained with blood.  I also produce a shirt and flannel, which, with a pillow-case and towel, had been put into water.  I did not go into the room where the prisoner was, as Dr. Newham stated it might excite him.  I simply set a man to watch.  The prisoner, when I removed him at seven in the evening, was perfectly quiet.  When I charged the prisoner he said “I know what you are come for,” and came quietly away.

  Dr. Newham said- I am a doctor of medicine and live at Winslow.  On the 19th April, at three o’clock in the morning, I was sent for to Ingram’s house.  When I arrived there I found his wife upon the sofa in the lower room.  She was exceedingly faint from the loss of blood, which covered the whole of her night dress in front.  I examined her and found a wound about an inch and a half in length on the left cheek, another wound four inches long in front of the neck, a deep cut on the left hand between the thumb and fore-finger, and a cut across the palm of the right hand.  One or two of the fingers of the right hand were also slightly wounded.  I dressed the wounds and left her tolerably comfortable at the end of an hour and a half.  I did not see Ingram until six o’clock, on the evening of the same day.  I asked to see him in the morning, but I was told that he refused to see me, and was in an excited state.  He made no opposition to my seeing him at six o’clock.  He was to a certain extent in an excited state then.  The wounds from which Mrs. Ingram was suffering were such as would be caused by the knife produced.  The only wound that was deep was the cut on the fore-finger.  I used three stitches in the throat and one on the cheek to keep the edges of the wound together.  The wounds were not dangerous in themselves, though their after-consequences might have been dangerous, as Mrs. Ingram was not strong.

  Upon the charge being read over to the prisoner, he said he had nothing to say, except that there was no “malice aforethought”.
  The prisoner was then committed to take his trial at Aylesbury at the ensuing assizes, and the various witnesses were bound over to prosecute.

On 19 May 1873, John Ingram was taken from the Bucks Prison at Aylesbury to the County Asylum (CBS, D-X 1150/5/11).

Bucks Herald, 26 July 1873

(Before Mr. Baron  BRAMWELL.)
The Charge of Wounding at Winslow
  John Ingram (removed to County Lunatic Asylum), 49, was charged with having wounded Martha Ingram, his wife, with intent to murder her.  The prisoner being still in the asylum, this case was ordered to stand over until notice be given, and the witnesses’ recognisances were continued.
  The court then adjourned.

Bucks Herald, 14 March 1874


  John Ingram, 50, builder, was charged with wounding Martha Ingram, his wife, with intent to murder her, at Winslow, on April 19th, 1873. Mr. Attwell prosecuted, and Mr. Merewether defended. 

  Mr. Attwell said the prisoner and his wife had, so far as he had heard, lived happily together, and the unhappy incident which they had to inquire into occurred on the night of April 19.  The jury would hear from Mrs. Ingram, and her step-son, that the prisoner went down stairs, and on returning he again went to bed, and a few minutes afterwards the wife felt she was cut about the neck.  She called out, and the step-son pulled the prisoner off her.  The principal enquiry they had to enter upon was whether the prisoner was at the time in such a state of mind as to be responsible for his acts, he having been subsequently sent to a lunatic asylum.  If they found that the prisoner had, at the time he committed the act, sufficient command of himself to know what he was doing, they would find him guilty: if otherwise, they would acquit him.

  Martha Ingram was then called.  She said- I am the wife of the prisoner.  He had been very unwell before the night of April 19.  On that night I went to bed early, being myself very unwell.  My husband followed at about ten o’clock.  He seemed in an excited state.  I awoke at about two in the morning, when my husband got up and went down stairs.  I asked him what he wanted, and he said a little brandy.  He came up in a few minutes, and brought some gin, of which I gave him a small quantity, and put the remainder on one side.  He then ran down stairs again, but immediately returned, and got into bed again.  I told him to go to sleep, and he said he would try.  In about five minutes afterwards I felt my neck being cut.  I called to John, my step-son, and grasped the knife with both hands and got possession of it.  My step-son then came in and held his father till I got away.  When I got down stairs I sent at once for the doctor.  I had always lived very happily with my husband till that day.

  Cross examined - My step-son had lived in the house for some years, and was partner in the business.  There had never been any disagreement amongst us.  When I first married the prisoner, he was a very energetic man.  He afterwards suffered very much from indigestion.  In 1872 he was ill, and complained of a scratching in his stomach, and became very much depressed, often crying without any reason.  After November 1872, he seldom went out and would not see anyone.  In 1873, he consulted Dr. Newham, and afterwards, by his advice, Dr. Habersham, and subsequently Dr. Acland, of Oxford.  He followed Dr. Acland’s prescription for a time, and then gave it up, saying nothing would do him any good, he should not live.  He refused about March to sit in the front room, saying he did not wish to see any one and he also refused to go out.  One day, at the end of March, I asked him to have a walk with me, but he set out by himself, and I found him at some farm buildings.  Some time after that he took to listening at the doors, as he explained, because he thought I and John might be talking about what the doctor said about him.  On one occasion he refused to take some cocoa, saying he was going to be poisoned.  I was afterwards advised to take him to Matlock, and took him there, but he got no better.  When we were going away, he offered, for the first time, to strike me, but immediately begged my pardon.  After we came back to Winslow, I sent for Dr. Ceely.  The prisoner never went out of the house afterwards till he was brought to the police station on the 19th.

  John William Ingram, prisoner’s son, corroborated Mrs. Ingram’s evidence as to the facts of the assault.

  John Elley, baker, a neighbour who was called in on the morning of the occurrence, deposed to the prisoner’s excited condition; and Dr. Newham, of Winslow, and Dr. R. Ceely, of Aylesbury, gave evidence to the effect that the prisoner was suffering from insane delusions, and was not responsible for his actions.

  The jury acquitted the prisoner on the ground of insanity, and he was ordered to be confined during her Majesty’s pleasure.

Reports from Bucks County Asylum, 1873-74

Centre for Bucks Studies, H1/9/3 pp.465-6, 477

1873 May 20th John Ingram aet.49 Married a farmer and builder at Winslow was today admitted from Aylesbury Gaol by Warrant of the Secretary of State. He had been sent there in consequence of a murderous attack on his Wife on the night of the 19th of April. His son says that previously to that date he had been strange in conduct from the preceding November. He was restless depressed, could not sleep at night, would not attend to his business, and things he formerly took an interest in, he now seemed to dislike. Sent for his brother to come & see him and when he did he took such a dislike to him that he could hardly bear to see him in the room. His eldest son who slept in the next room and who saw him immediately after the attack on his wife, says that he appeared quite unconscious of what he had been attempting to do, never resisted, nor spoke until afterwards when he did not appear to understand what he had been doing.

About a fortnight before his attempt on the life of his Wife he turned her out of bed, said she was a deceiver & wanted to poison him.
Thirteen years ago he had an attack of Mania with depression which lasted all the summer, since then each spring he has had a slight attack of depression & he usually suffered at the same time with symptoms of indigestion

1873 May 27th At times very depressed & fretful, thinks that “he has sinned beyond forgiveness, that there is no pardon for him, that he is the only one that will not be pardoned” &c. Sleeps tolerably well at night ; during the day he is restless, rarely sitting down but usually pacing up & down the Gallery. General health pretty good complains of uneasiness after food sometimes.

June 26th General condition unchanged. He is very self-willed & cannot be induced to take exercise out of doors.
Augt 8th He has been removed from No 7 Gallery to No 5. in consequence of disagreeing with other patients fighting etc. he persistently refuses any sort of out doors exercise, having been only once in the airing court. He is excessively dull & apathetic, lying in bed all day mostly – it is scarcely possible to engage him in any conversation And when he does talk upon anything it is his sins

Sept 9 He was re-transferred a short time since to No 7. today however as he burst out with a torrent of the most violent & threatening language, he has been removed again to No. 5.

Novr 5th Has continued quiet since last report until today when his two sons visited him. He was much exasperated, turned away in a fit of violent anger said he did not want to see them, swore at them, said all his family were in league against him, and said that he would shoot them all down like rabbits

Novr 29th Very much improved since last report. Looking cheerful & hopeful, and behaving rationally towards his relatives when visited by them.

Decr 18th Continues to progress favorably. He is now cheerful active and rational in conduct and conversation.

1874 Jany 20th General health good. Mentally he appears perfectly sane and he has today been brought under the notice of the Committee of Visitors with the view of taking the necessary steps for his trial at the Spring Assizes.

May 14th Appears perfectly sane, health good.

Novr 29th Only waiting for discharge from Home Office

Decr 18th Finally discharged by Home Office, on condition he is taken care of by his Son.


John Ingram died at Steeple Claydon in 1876 and was able to make a valid will (see below) so must have been regarded as sufficiently cured. One of the witnesses to the will was Dr Thomas Denton of Steeple Claydon who in the 1881 Census had a "lunatic" boarding in his house, so presumably John was living with him. Martha Ingram went with her children to live at Bedford. She still owned property in Winslow in 1910, and died in Bedford in 1922 aged 89.

The unnamed servant girl in the report was probably Sarah Bonham, niece of John Ingram's first wife, who was living in the house as a servant in 1871.

The Ingrams gave up the grocery business in 1874, although there was a shop called Ingram's in the same premises later.

Buckingham Advertiser, 14 Feb 1874
On THURSDAY, February 19th, 1874, on the Premises, High Street, Winslow, by direction of Mr. Ingram, who is giving up the Grocery business.
THE STOCK comprises the usual Stock-in-Trade of a Grocer; also a quantity of japanned Tea Cannisters, Tobacco Jars, Show Glasses, Scales and Weights, Counters, Nests of Drawers, Glass Show Cases, Shelves, &c.
The Sale will commence at 11 o’clock.
Catalogues may be had at the Inns in the neighbourhood, and of Messrs. Dudley and Son, Auctioneers and Land Agents, Winslow.

Buckingham Advertiser, 18 March 1876
TO LET, In the High Street, WINSLOW,
A SHOP and PREMISES, (with Stable and Gig House, if required,) having been a Grocer’s Shop twenty years; immediate possession.- Apply to Messrs. Ingram and Son, Builders, &c., Winslow.

Will of John Ingram of Steeple Claydon, farmer, 1876 (proved 1877)

Oxford Probate Registry

ON the Nineteenth day of March  1877 the Will of John Ingram late of Steeple Claydon in the County of Buckingham, Farmer, deceased, who died on the Fifteenth day of November 1876, at Steeple Claydon aforesaid, was proved in the District Registry attached to Her Majesty’s Court of Probate at Oxford by the Oaths of Henry Small of Buckingham in the County of Buckingham, Solicitor, and George Davys Edward Wigley of Winslow in the same County, Auctioneer, the Executors therein named they having been first duly sworn to administer

It is hereby certified the above is a correct Copy. Dated this Twenty ninth day of March 1877.
Effects under £800. No Leaseholds.
Extracted by Henry Small, Solicitor, Buckingham

This is the last Will and Testament of me John Ingram of Steeple Claydon in the County of Bucks, Farmer. I bequeath all consumable household stores and provisions and the linen china and glass of which I shall die possessed to my dear Wife Martha Ingram absolutely Together with the Legacy or sum of One hundred pounds to be paid to her immediately after my decease I bequeath to my said Wife the use and enjoyment of the household furniture and utensils not hereinbefore bequeathed and the plate books pictures and prints of which I shall die possessed during her life or so long as she continues my Widow And after her decease or marriage I direct the same goods and effects to be disposed of as part of the residue of my personal estate I empower my said Wife during Widowhood or as long as my Trustees or Trustee consider desirable to occupy my Farm at Steeple Claydon aforesaid and to carry on my farming business and to employ therein my live and dead agricultural stock and such part of my personal estate as my Trustees shall think fit But that on my said Wife marrying again or on the request of my said Trustees or Trustee my said Wife shall deliver up possession of the said Farm Farmhouse building premises at Steeple Claydon aforesaid and shall account and deliver up the Farming stock on the said Farm and premises and all other parts of my personal estate on her hands to my Trustees or Trustee who shall thenceforth hold the same on the trusts hereinafter declared concerning my residuary personal estate I give and devise to my Son John William Ingram of Winslow, Builder, his heirs and assigns the freehold house buildings and premises now in his occupation and situate in the High Street  Winslow aforesaid charged with the payment by him of the sum of Three hundred pounds to my Trustees hereinafter named the same to form part of my residuary estate and to be held by my Trustees  upon the trusts hereinafter named and I declare that this provision is in addition to the building stock effects and premises which I sometime since made over to him for his own use and benefit absolutely I direct my Trustees and Executors to hand over to the said John William Ingram Copies of the Court Roll, Deeds and other muniments of title relating to a Copyhold field at Shipton near Winslow aforesaid and which Court Roll . . . are held for him by me I bequeath to my son George William Ingram and my eldest Daughter Elizabeth Ann Ingram the Legacy or sum of Three hundred pounds each to be paid to them at the expiration of twelve months after my decease I devise all the residue of my real estate to which I shall be entitled at my decease  (except estates vested in me as Trustee or Mortgagee) and I bequeath the residue of my personal estate to which I shall then be entitled to Henry Small of Buckingham, Solicitor, and George Davys Edward Wigley of Winslow aforesaid, Auctioneer their heirs executors administrators and assigns respectively Upon trust to sell my personal estate either together or in parcels by Public Auction or Private Contract with power to make any special conditions as to title or evidence of title or otherwise with power to buy in the premises at any Public Sale or to rescind either on terms or gratuitously any Contract and to resell without being answerable for any loss And to convert and get in my residuary personal estate and to invest the monies to arise from such real estate and residuary personal estate in the names or name of the Trustees or Trustee for the time being of my Will in or upon any of the Public Stocks funds or securities of the United Kingdom or any real securities in England or Wales with \liberty for the said Trustees or Trustee/  to vary and transpose the investments from time to time for any other investment of the description aforesaid And upon further trust to permit and empower my said Wife to receive the annual income of the said monies or the stocks funds and securities whereon the same shall be invested during her life . . .  she bringing up and maintaining my infant children And on her death or marriage the capital with the future income of such residue In trust for such child or children of mine by my said dear Wife Martha Ingram then living and such issue then living of any such child or children then deceased as shall either before or after the death or marriage of my said Wife attain the age of Twenty one years or marry as tenants in common in a course of distribution according to the Stocks and not to the number of individual objects and so that the issue of deceased children may take by way of substitution the share or respective shares only which the parent or respective parents if living would have taken And I empower my Trustees after the death or marriage of my said Wife to apply the whole or any part of the income of the contingent shares of the respective children and issue aforesaid in or towards their respective maintenance or otherwise for their respective benefit And I direct my Trustees to accumulate the unapplied income and add the accumulations to the capital of the respective shares whence the income shall have arisen  And I also empower my trustees to apply after the death or marriage of my said Wife or in her lifetime with her consent in writing any part not exceeding a moiety of the capital of the contingent shares of the respective children and issue aforesaid in or towards their respective advancement in life I hereby declare that no sale of the real estate so devised to my Trustees as aforesaid or any part thereof shall be made during the time my said Wife shall continue my Widow without her previous consent in writing and that my said Trustees or Trustee shall have a discretionary power to postpone for such period as to them or him seem expedient the conversion or getting in of any part of my residual personal estate which shall at my decease consist of stocks funds or securities of any description whatever but the unsold real estate and outstanding personal estate shall be subject to the trusts hereinbefore contained concerning the stocks funds or securities aforesaid and the rents and yearly produce thereof shall be deemed annual income for the purposes of such trusts and such real estate shall be transmissible as personal estate under the  ultimate trust hereinbefore contained I devise all real estates (if any) vested in me as Trustee or Mortgagee to the said Henry Small and George Davys Edward Wigley subject to the equities affecting the same respectively I declare that if my said Trustees . . .  or any person . . .  to be appointed under this clause shall die or be unwilling or incompetent to execute the trusts of my Will it shall be lawful for my said Wife during her widowhood and after her death or marriage for the competent Trustee . . .  or if none of the executors . . . of the last surviving Trustee to substitute. . . any fit person . . . in whom alone or jointly . . . with the surviving . . .Trustee my trust estate shall be vested And I exempt every Trustee of my Will from liability for losses occurring without his own wilful default and authorise him to retain and  allow to his Co trustee all expenses incidental to the Trusteeship I appoint the said Henry Small and George Davys Edward Wigley Executors of this my Will And it is my desire that the said Henry Small who is my solicitor shall continue to act as such in all matters relating to my affairs and I declare that he shall be entitled to make the usual professional charges Lastly I revoke all former Wills and declare this only to be my last Will and Testament  In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this Twenty third day of September in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and seventy six
John Ingram [signature] 

Signed by the said John Ingram the Testator in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence, and the presence of each other have hereto subscribed our names as Witnesses the words “or” and “my” having been first interlined and the words “and” and “the said” struck through on the first page and the name “Edward” inserted between Davys and Wigley on the third and sixth pages and the word “Edward” struck through on each of the last mentioned pages as also the words “or Trustees” in two places on the said sixth page
Thomas I. Denton [signature] M.D. Steeple Claydon
Thos. Bonner [signature] Clerk to Mr. Small, Solicitor, Buckingham

Proved at Oxford, the Nineteenth day of March 1877, by Oaths of Henry Small, and George Davys Edward Wigley the Executors to whom Administration was granted.
The Testator John Ingram was late of Steeple Claydon in the County of Buckingham, Farmer, and died on the Fifteenth day of November 1876 at Steeple Claydon aforesaid,
Under £800.
Henry Small, Solicitor, Buckingham
It is hereby certified the foregoing is a correct Copy. Dated this Twenty ninth day of March 1877.

See also:

Copyright 19 October, 2020