The Jackmans, the blacksmiths of North Bucks

by Geoff Kirk

The first Jackman that can be positively traced in Winslow, is a William Jackman who was born in Tingewick in about 1749.   He is mentioned as the nephew of Christopher Bigg in the latter's will of 1775, under which he inherited a messuage in Sheep Street with a blacksmith's shop which he already occupied, probably near The Bell. William was actually the nephew of Christopher Bigg's wife Mary, nee Reeves, sister of William's mother Elizabeth (who was buried at Winslow on 28 March 1788). Elizabeth and her husband Hemens Jackman inherited the other property of Mary and Christopher Bigg in Sheep Street. William's parents and grandparents had originated from Stratton Audley, just over the border in Oxfordshire. William married Elizabeth Adams of Swanbourne on 4 June 1771 at Winslow. The Adams family can be traced back to the late 1600s in Swanbourne. Elizabeth had been baptised at Swanbourne on 8 Oct 1747.  At this time the name was spelt Jakeman. William and Elizabeth had 12 children between 1772 and 1791. The children were as follows:

John Jackman followed in his father William's footsteps and became a blacksmith in Winslow. John & Mary produced 12 children between 1794 & 1817. Winslow was by now over-endowed with blacksmiths and family members moved to other villages for employment. The children were as follows:

Back to Families / People

According to Arthur Clear, the Jackmans' blacksmith's shop until the early 19th century was opposite the gates of Winslow Hall.