Claydon and Winslow Cycling Club (1896)
Bucks Herald, 1 Aug 1896The members of the Claydon and Winslow Cycling Club, including Lady and Miss Ruth Verney, journeyed to Bletchley Park on Saturday afternoon, where they were hospitably entertained by Mr and Mrs Leon to tea. After the repast they were shown through the orchid houses and conservatories, the afternoon being greatly enjoyed.
Mr (later Sir Herbert) Leon’s House is now a Museum after its use in World War 2 as a base for code-breakers. Leon is remembered in the name of a comprehensive school in Bletchley: Leon School.
This was one of the last trips by the combined Claydon and Winslow Cycling Club. Over the years the numbers of Winslow-based members had grown to outnumber those of the parent Claydon club so that in March 1897, it was decided to form the “Winslow Cycling Club” with a HQ provided by Mr W.S. Neal of The Bell “free” for 12 months.
Mr W.H. Lambton became its president, the Vice-Presidents were Reverend W.F. Armstrong, Messrs G.R. Greaves, G.E. D. Wigley, T.P. Willis, H. Bullock, W.S. Neal and G.W. Bull; the Hon. Secretary was Mr J. Morris, captain, Mr E. Gowin, sub-captain Mr Bert Midgley, Hon. Treasurer, Miss White with Mr A. Fulks as its “bugler”.