Arthur Clear: A Thousand Years of Winslow Life (1888)

p.11 on enclosure

Winslow was enclosed under an Act passed in 1766, when Demoram Field containing 184a. 0r. 25p. was assigned to William Lowndes Esq., in lieu of Great Tithes and 55a lr. 18p for loss of Common rights. There was also allotted to the Rev. John Rawbone, Vicar, certain old enclosures in "New Mill Field" containing 39a. 2r. 6p." and as, and for a compensation for all tithes of wool and lamb--open field land, and all other vicarial or small Tithes" he was awarded three lots or parcels of land containing a total of 54a. 3r. 29p from which 3 acres were afterwards deducted for fences. To the poor of the parish was awarded "all that lot or parcel of land lying in "New Mill Field," containing 7a 3r. 24p., and which at the time of the enclosure was estimated to be of the yearly value of £4 10s.," and the commissioners directed that the fences of such allotment should he ever kept, maintained and repaired, at the expense of the Trustees of the Poor of the Parish of Winslow for the time being.

Previous to this enclosure, the lane leading up from Tinkers End along the Cross Lane was carried on past a Wind Mill, and hence to the corner of Great Horwood lane, the spot being called "Parkers Grave" doubtless on account of some unhappy suicide ofthat name being buried at the cross roads in accordance with an old custom. The short lane now leading past the end of the residence of T. P. Willis Esq., then formed a continuation of Addington Lane, and bearing off to the left, led direct to Little Horwood Ford - there also appears to have been another road or driftway leading out of the Buckingham Road, somewhere near the present Station Road, and passing near the spot on which Magpie Farm now stands, and so into Little Horwood Lane.

In John Speed's Map of Buckinghamshire, 1610, that part of the parish lying on the borders of Granborough Parish is designated "Winslow Heath."


See also:

Copyright 25 July, 2015